The Student Room Group

For Physics, Warwick, Bristol or Kings?

Which university would you recommend?
Reply 1
Warwick >= Bristol > Kings for teaching
Warwick is one of the top unis for maths and physics, the teaching quality there is extraordinary. The only problem you’d have about Warwick is that it’s in Coventry, the night life and social prospects is quite dull from what I heard from some friends in Warwick.
Bristol is also very substantial, it’s engineering and physics departments are world class. It’s also one of the biggest cities in South England, so you’d find most of whatever you’re interested in or want to do. It’s almost par to par with Warwick, so I’d go for the city you like better.
Kings is a world class uni, but their physics department lack quality compared to the other 2 unis. Kings focuses more on humanities and language-related subjects, so their maths / engineering / physics department lacks quality a bit. However, it is a world class uni, so it does have a good reputation compared to most of the unis in the uk.

However, what’s most important is which city you want to live in. If you like busy and vibrant cities such as London, go for Kings. If you like cities which are relaxed but still vibrant enough for night and social life, go for Bristol. If you like somewhere you can completely focus on studying and like small cities, go for Warwick. Birmingham’s not too far from Coventry, so even if you go to Warwick you can enjoy your social life time to time.

I hope this helped! Good luck with everything!
Original post by sk0917
Warwick >= Bristol > Kings for teaching
Warwick is one of the top unis for maths and physics, the teaching quality there is extraordinary. The only problem you’d have about Warwick is that it’s in Coventry, the night life and social prospects is quite dull from what I heard from some friends in Warwick.
Bristol is also very substantial, it’s engineering and physics departments are world class. It’s also one of the biggest cities in South England, so you’d find most of whatever you’re interested in or want to do. It’s almost par to par with Warwick, so I’d go for the city you like better.
Kings is a world class uni, but their physics department lack quality compared to the other 2 unis. Kings focuses more on humanities and language-related subjects, so their maths / engineering / physics department lacks quality a bit. However, it is a world class uni, so it does have a good reputation compared to most of the unis in the uk.

However, what’s most important is which city you want to live in. If you like busy and vibrant cities such as London, go for Kings. If you like cities which are relaxed but still vibrant enough for night and social life, go for Bristol. If you like somewhere you can completely focus on studying and like small cities, go for Warwick. Birmingham’s not too far from Coventry, so even if you go to Warwick you can enjoy your social life time to time.

I hope this helped! Good luck with everything!

For maths Warwick is far and away the best certainly, but that is not true for physics - it's certainly good but not outstanding in the same way.

Original post by arialle
Which university would you recommend?

Really depends what you're looking for. Life at Warwick will be very different than in London or Bristol! All are generally academically strong for that subject area and I don't think any one course signifcantly outpaces the others. So unless you are aiming for investment banking or management consulting (in which case the only real option is Warwick as it's a target uni for those professions - no other careers care about that though), you should really focus on the individual differences of the unis in terms of living arrangements, facilities etc :smile:
BATH - their placement system is probably the best in the UK - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2023/physics/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending