The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Changing from Econs to PPE

I have been confirmed my place at Collingwood college to read Econs (L100). Yet after having done some further reading and research over the holiday, I believe PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Econs) would be more suitable both to my interest and my career plan. I'm wondering if it is possible to change my course now (from Econs to PPE). If it is, what should I do and who should I contact?

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Abagnale
I have been confirmed my place at Collingwood college to read Econs (L100). Yet after having done some further reading and research over the holiday, I believe PPE (Philosophy, Psychology and Econs) would be more suitable both to my interest and my career plan. I'm wondering if it is possible to change my course now (from Econs to PPE). If it is, what should I do and who should I contact?

Thank you!

Well done!! EXCELLENT DECISION!! PPE is the best (i actually wanted to switch in the other direction like 2 weeks ago..):wink:

here contact her: Kathryn Cowton: 0191 334 6340.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thnx for the quick reply! Yet why didn't u want to change from PPE to Econs anw? Do u have her email address as I'm not in the UK atm? How should I address her? Which dept is she in charged of? Sorry for my wave of questions but I'm getting overexcited!!!
Reply 3
It seems to me PPE isn't offered very broadly in the UK. As I've just made my decision, I have no idea what are the other prestigious unis that offer PPE? I know Oxford does.
Abagnale
It seems to me PPE isn't offered very broadly in the UK. As I've just made my decision, I have no idea what are the other prestigious unis that offer PPE? I know Oxford does.

Email: [email protected]

Well i stuck with PPE, because it offers a wider scope of study..and u can basically select what direction u wanna go to in the second year...and it depends what u wanna do later on after uni...i believe pure economics is very monotone...and rather statistical/sciency..

I read an article like a week ago..and it said the following
: "this degree (ppe) provides a particularly strong combination of study, as an interplay between politics and economics is central in political and economic life"
that convinced me to stay with PPE:smile:

I think the best unis for PPE are Oxfrod and Durham....then LSE offers a similar combination with Econ and GOvernment..
Reply 5
My job isn't trying to annoy u, but I still have this question to make:

Then what made u considered changing from PPE to Econs 2 weeks ago? Did u come up with sth that disturb ur decision to do PPE?

Thank you for ur patience :smile:
Abagnale
My job isn't trying to annoy u, but I still have this question to make:

Then what made u considered changing from PPE to Econs 2 weeks ago? Did u come up with sth that disturb ur decision to do PPE?

Thank you for ur patience :smile:

a friend:smile:)) she tried convinve me that econ is better than PPE..but useless..
Reply 7
Excellent! U have brought me over the moon now. But how likely do u think they will accept to let me switch courses? And PPE at Durham is actually headed by the Dept of Philosophy, rite? What would be the 'sweetest' reason to them in order to let me change to PPE?
Abagnale
Excellent! U have brought me over the moon now. But how likely do u think they will accept to let me switch courses? And PPE at Durham is actually headed by the Dept of Philosophy, rite? What would be the 'sweetest' reason to them in order to let me change to PPE?

over the moon:smile:?!?!

No not solely by philo....it is headed by all three actually...
what was ur offer for Econ? i know for PPE u ned AAB min. ...and the sweetest reason I would think..would be something to do with ur career prospect...so...say u wanna do that and that later on..or u are undecided..and PPE is perfect in letting u study a wide range of subjects that may be ALL helpful in ur further life..
Reply 9
Kool! Thnx for ur suggestion! My Econs offer is also AAB. I'm writing to her right away. Thnx a bunch!!!
Reply 10
good luck, but realistically i would have thought PPE would be oversubscribed/harder to get into so i dont know how successful you will be (read give it your best shot but dont pin everything on it)
Reply 11
PPE? Pah.... :P straight Eco is the best! :P

Give it a shot, but I think the Politics department is actually really oversuscribed...

And I wouldn't say its harder to get into per se, but because people have confirmed their offers in the respective departments, they might not let you...

Kathryn is a nice woman, so try sweetalking her! :rolleyes: I think she is head of undergraduation admissions as well as the secretary for the department.
I was planning on trying to switch for Geography to PPE.

But I'm worried now I won't be able to.

I was hoping the best way to do this would be to switch after I had started the course, so they would find it more difficult to get rid of me, as it were.

I am worried if I phone now that they will simply tell me no and to apply next year.
Reply 13
Once you're in you're in, I doubt they'll chuck you out for wanting to change. Phone either Mike Alexander or Shirley Goodyear in the Geographee department and see what they say.
Once you're in you're in, I doubt they'll chuck you out for wanting to change. Phone either Mike Alexander or Shirley Goodyear in the Geographee department and see what they say.

Should I do this now, or later?

I was under the impression that if I basically said I have to do PPE or I must leave (or something) then they really ought to change me because the last thing they want is me dropping out (for statistics and the like).
Reply 15
If you present them with the ultimatum of 'PPE or leaving', then they're unlikely to magic spaces up for you on the PPE course. However, I'd do it now and ask about what thes best way would be to change courses.
Reply 16
I've written to Ms. Cowton explaining my interest in switching the course due to thorough research on the subject throughout the holiday. I said I 1st wanted to do pure Econs merely due to the growing demand for this degree in my home country which is an LDC. I didn't try to intermidate them to let me change though partly because I wanna sound "sweet":biggrin: Anw, no reply yet!

TO JASPERTORY: Is it possible to change from Geography to PPE. I can't really see what the 2 have in common, really. Anw, why don't u try writing to them now. Even if they don't let u change now, u can still change after u have started. I think a good and valid reason can persuade them. And "let me change or I'll leave" doesn't seem to be a reason at all :biggrin:
Reply 17
Geography has a lot in common with Politics, Philosophy and Economics if you actually think about it.
arkbar
Geography has a lot in common with Politics, Philosophy and Economics if you actually think about it.

politics yer....economics only partially...and philo NOT AT all i would think..

BTW...amazing logo:smile:) NUFC is actually trying to buy a russian player !!!:smile:
Read some Harvey and you will see the light.

I applied for Geography because I thought it would be more political, economically-based and philosophical than PPE.

That said, I think I overestimated the discipline.

Latest