The Student Room Group

The Ultimate England Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Diego Costa
Why?

There have been several managers with different personalities, tactics and approaches. The common factor in every tournament performance has been the specific players, and the way they've been coached from youth, and the culture.

Your response to this phenomenon is that it's just all those managers' faults and nothing to do with the players as apparently the manager is there to, I quote "make the players look better". And then say it's silly to suggest otherwise. The solution is simply to get the best manager, after the failures of the best foreign managers, the best domestic managers, promotion from within, and going for less glamorous names to change the players' naivety and fragility.

Do you see how there were several things in the above which was odd now?
Original post by ozzyoscy
There have been several managers with different personalities, tactics and approaches. The common factor in every tournament performance has been the specific players, and the way they've been coached from youth, and the culture.

Your response to this phenomenon is that it's just all those managers' faults and nothing to do with the players as apparently the manager is there to, I quote "make the players look better". And then say it's silly to suggest otherwise. The solution is simply to get the best manager, after the failures of the best foreign managers, the best domestic managers, promotion from within, and going for less glamorous names to change the players' naivety and fragility.

Do you see how there were several things in the above which was odd now?

Not necessarily. Vardy, Kane, Alli and Rose were among the top ten performers last PL season (or thereabouts). so it's naive to say that they weren't good enough to get past the likes of Russia, Slovakia and Iceland. In previous years when the league the best in the world - world class England players weren't even able to get to Euro 2008. The issue has been managers trying to shoehorn players from big clubs in and not giving those from lesser clubs chances. There's also the issue of not sticking to a style, so players can't really gel.

The best domestic managers certainly haven't been picked, if that's what you're implying. Unless of course you're referring to Shteve, Woy, Big Sam and Southgate as the best there is. Southgate frankly shouldn't have even been on whatever shortlist there was. I wouldn't really call Capello and Eriksson(?) top foreign names either.
Yeah I'd say the problem with England has, for many years now, been a "cultural" problem that not any manager can completely solve on his own. England's current footballing culture can be traced back to the early 90's when some English footballers cared more about their fame and public image than their ability on the pitch.
I'm pretty sure all that it takes for an England player to suddenly stop performing is when his club gives him a fat salary and ends up with more headlines about him off the field.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not necessarily. Vardy, Kane, Alli and Rose were among the top ten performers last PL season (or thereabouts). so it's naive to say that they weren't good enough to get past the likes of Russia, Slovakia and Iceland. In previous years when the league the best in the world - world class England players weren't even able to get to Euro 2008. The issue has been managers trying to shoehorn players from big clubs in and not giving those from lesser clubs chances. There's also the issue of not sticking to a style, so players can't really gel.

The best domestic managers certainly haven't been picked, if that's what you're implying. Unless of course you're referring to Shteve, Woy, Big Sam and Southgate as the best there is. Southgate frankly shouldn't have even been on whatever shortlist there was. I wouldn't really call Capello and Eriksson(?) top foreign names either.

You're actually being serious when you say Sven and Capello weren't the two biggest available names in football? Sorry but should you even be commenting on this after dropping that bombshell?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing when talking about the 'right choice' in manager.

People cry out for internal progression, promoting people up, and McClaren had been Sven's assistant after taking Boro to a European final. And like Sven or not (I don't), he was a huge success at England went not looking at it through xenophobic glasses and took them to heights they're not used to. Remember England on average are group stage-level, when they even qualify. He took them to 3 quarters in a row, losing to the winners, then being knocked out on penalties twice.

The other prime candidate at the time was Sam, who was the outstanding English choice this time around too.

Roy had tonnes of international experience and if he hadn't got the job, there would be a clamour asking why he's not been given the chance.

Sven was a huge name who was going to be Manchester United manager, after unimaginable success at Lazio and taking Benfica of all teams to a European Cup final.

Capello was even bigger, he'd won several Serie As and the European Cup with AC Milan, went to Roma and won the title there, and was good enough to be hired by Real Madrid twice and win the title both times.

But maybe at the time you questioned whether they could do it on a cold winter night at Stoke

Bielsa is the outstanding choice for England manager, but he would change the culture, England football would never be the same again, hence why he's not even being mentioned.

There are many problems, but the players are one of them. We're not talking about how they perform in the culture of the Premier League, but in England, which are vastly different experiences evidently. It's naive to say that they should be beating certain 'small' or 'crap' teams just because England have players that perform for their club. They're surrounded by non-English players at their club after all.
(edited 7 years ago)
You're actually being serious when you say Sven and Capello weren't the two biggest available names in football? Sorry but should you even be commenting on this after dropping that bombshell?

Sven had won Serie A once and a few Coppa Italias, I wouldn't really call him a massive name. Capello was bigger but he still wasn't the biggest. He'd won two trophies in the previous decade.

People cry out for internal progression, promoting people up, and McClaren had been Sven's assistant after taking Boro to a European final. And like Sven or not (I don't), he was a huge success at England went not looking at it through xenophobic glasses and took them to heights they're not used to. Remember England on average are group stage-level, when they even qualify. He took them to 3 quarters in a row, losing to the winners, then being knocked out on penalties twice.

I don't so that's irrelevant. Agreed that Sven was clearly the biggest success, but comparing the English group of players to the ones in other groups, saying that not making the knockout rounds is England's level is stupid.

Roy had tonnes of international experience and if he hadn't got the job, there would be a clamour asking why he's not been given the chance.

Idc if there would have been clamour but he had just failed at Liverpool.

Sven was a huge name who was going to be Manchester United manager, after unimaginable success at Lazio and taking Benfica of all teams to a European Cup final.

No he wasn't lol

There are many problems, but the players are one of them. We're not talking about how they perform in the culture of the Premier League, but in England, which are vastly different experiences evidently. It's naive to say that they should be beating certain 'small' or 'crap' teams just because England have players that perform for their club. They're surrounded by non-English players at their club after all.

I don't think it's naive to say superior players should be expected to beat inferior ones.
Sven had won Serie A once and a few Coppa Italias, I wouldn't really call him a massive name. Capello was bigger but he still wasn't the biggest. He'd won two trophies in the previous decade.

I don't so that's irrelevant. Agreed that Sven was clearly the biggest success, but comparing the English group of players to the ones in other groups, saying that not making the knockout rounds is England's level is stupid.

Idc if there would have been clamour but he had just failed at Liverpool.

No he wasn't lol

I don't think it's naive to say superior players should be expected to beat inferior ones.

- Sven won Serie A with Lazio. They last won in the 70s. In his first two seasons he got them to the final of whichever European trophy they were in. Then in their first season in the Champions League they topped their first group undefeated, topped their second group and reached the quarter-finals. With Lazio.

- In the last decade, Capello took Roma from 6th to the title, and they finished runner-up twice. In their debut Champions League season they failed to reach the quarters on goal difference, and got them to the second group stage the next season. This despite debt. He then went to Juventus and won the title both seasons there. Went to Real Madrid, going through an infamous drought of trophies, and won the title immediately. Not a big manager?

- It's irrelevant what you do or don't do.

- I suggest you look at England's record. You will see they average around group stage, if they even qualify. Their players at the time is irrelevant - if you live in England, you'd be led to believe that nearly every two years England have a good squad of players capable of challenging for something.

- It's irrelevant what you do or don't care.

- Yes, around 2001 or 2002 Sven was a top name and was going to be Fergie's replacement. Alex had anounced he was going to retire. 'lol'.

- Yes it is incredibly naive to say 'superior players' simply 'should' beat 'inferior players'. You have an entire season's and European Championship's worth of results staring you in the face to show you this. This is not how football works.

It sounds like you're of young age. I don't mean to be rude but you don't seem to know about the state of football around the turn of the century. There's nothing wrong with not knowing everything, you know. This is just the internet, not a roleplaying battleground where you try to convince everyone you're omniscient.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1886
Original post by Fizzel
Like England were going to be anything short of their most dismal under Garth Southgate.

I really don't understand how when you can select so many players from both Liverpool and Spurs, two teams who have very similar pressing triggers, how hard it can be for the manager to implement a decent high pressing game, which defends from the front and creates chances. Its not like it needs coaching per se, thats what you get the players doing week to week when they are not on international duty. We actually have a decent number of players currently working at club level in good systems, its really not that much of a leap to appoint a manager who is capable of implementing a system somewhat similar to those systems. Follow the Spanish model, if a large number of your players are involved in a successful style a club level week in week out, use a variant of that system.

Heck the german's and the Italians do the same, basing their games on Bayern and Juventus as a large number of players either play for them or have previously played for those clubs.

Saying that I think this group of players could actually do something, I didn't have much faith in Hodgson but I think Southgate can do a good job.
- Sven won Serie A with Lazio. They last won in the 70s. In his first two seasons he got them to the final of whichever European trophy they were in. Then in their first season in the Champions League they topped their first group undefeated, topped their second group and reached the quarter-finals. With Lazio.

I don't take too much stock from the Wafer Cup and definitely not from the CWC (lol). Even if I did, look at how easy their run-in was. It's not as though they were a bad side either, they had the likes of Nedved, Nesta and Simeone on the books.

One Serie A win, a handful of Coppa Italias and a UEFA Cup Final doesn't constitute THE BEST manager in football, that is absolutely ridiculous.

- In the last decade, Capello took Roma from 6th to the title, and they finished runner-up twice. In their debut Champions League season they failed to reach the quarters on goal difference, and got them to the second group stage the next season. This despite debt. He then went to Juventus and won the title both seasons there. Went to Real Madrid, going through an infamous drought of trophies, and won the title immediately. Not a big manager?

I'm not crediting Capello too much for Juve's title win given that dodgy referees had been put in place. At Real he was against an incredibly declined Barca. He was a good manager but to say he was the top name is moronic.

- I suggest you look at England's record. You will see they average around group stage, if they even qualify. Their players at the time is irrelevant - if you live in England, you'd be led to believe that nearly every two years England have a good squad of players capable of challenging for something.

Considering four of the top 11 best players in the second best league in the world were English last season, it's not a stretch to think that the squad on the whole is good enough to beat TITANS like Slovakia, Russia and Iceland.

England had a manager who thrived in less pressure jobs (WBA and Fulham) but under pressure (Liverpool) had failed, so he clearly was going to fail when given the chance at a more pressure job.

- Yes, around 2001 or 2002 Sven was a top name and was going to be Fergie's replacement. Alex had anounced he was going to retire. 'lol'.

It was always going to be van Gaal.

- Yes it is incredibly naive to say 'superior players' simply 'should' beat 'inferior players'. You have an entire season's and European Championship's worth of results staring you in the face to show you this. This is not how football works.

And in a shocking twist of fate all the underperforming top clubs have changed managers and their fortunes have improved...

It sounds like you're of young age. I don't mean to be rude but you don't seem to know about the state of football around the turn of the century. There's nothing wrong with not knowing everything, you know. This is just the internet, not a roleplaying battleground where you try to convince everyone you're omniscient.

You're the moron that pretended that you were going to CONSCIENTIOUSLY OBJECT to reading my posts when you got embarrassed in the Watford thread. But thanks for your input pal
x

Judging from the length of the reply and the multiple quotes, I think you misunderstand where I stand. (Since I can safely assume it's further arguing.)

You commented on something I said, but I mentioned that I noticed you didn't know key bits of info about the subject, you were unfamiliar with the state of Euro football around 2001 and beyond. You didn't even know about Fergie and Sven. So you've no input to give. Our discussion has been concluded.
Judging from the length of the reply and the multiple quotes, I think you misunderstand where I stand. (Since I can safely assume it's further arguing.)

You commented on something I said, but I mentioned that I noticed you didn't know key bits of info about the subject, you were unfamiliar with the state of Euro football around 2001 and beyond. You didn't even know about Fergie and Sven. So you've no input to give. Our discussion has been concluded.

Good you know when you've been beaten.

Confident it was always going to be LVG in charge:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/jan/23/newsstory.sport4
http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/english-football/2009/10/11/1554264/louis-van-gaal-i-was-sir-alex-fergusons-replacement-at

Given that Fergie picked his next two successors, I can believe it was going to be van Gaal who took over.
Good you know when you've been beaten.

I'm relieved you've declared this out loud. Had you not, there was great danger it wouldn't be true.

I'd suspected you were one of those nutty forum arguers who spend their time creating internet arguments, a means to claim 'victories' for self-esteem boosts. But congratulations on what no doubt just so happens to be a 100% win record.
I'm relieved you've declared this out loud. Had you not, there was great danger it wouldn't be true.

I'd suspected you were one of those nutty forum arguers who spend their time creating internet arguments, a means to claim 'victories' for self-esteem boosts. But congratulations on what no doubt just so happens to be a 100% win record.

When you talk nonsense, I'm happy to take you to task on it.
When you talk nonsense, I'm happy to take you to task on it.

It shows how confident you are in this belief that you must state it out loud several times. And said in such a badass manner too, oh my.

When taking one to task, I too find the best way to do so is say variations of "I don't care", "lol" and underrate popular things. Only sheep rate popular things. And you sir are not a sheep; you are a warrior of the internet.
So...uhhh...interesting use of the 3-4-3 on Tuesday? Any chance we may be seeing it tomorrow?
England lack midfield quality nowadays. Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes have long gone. Carrick is too old and Milner can't be convinced out of retirement.
So I don't think a 3-4-3 can work long term just yet
Not watching the England game but I saw on the live text that Joe Hart nearly cost us a goal. As a Liverpool fan it really annoys me that the media/pundits are insisting we sign Joe Hart, he makes just as many individual errors as Mignolet and Karius. I remember Karius being highly criticised for conceding a Payet free kick (which was justified), but then media/pundits were declaring that Joe Hart would be the answer to our 'goalkeeping crisis'. He literally made a very similar error to concede a Bale free kick at the Euro's.

Joe would command a huge salary as well and he doesn't deserve it when he wouldn't be an upgrade. Don't get me wrong, Hart makes some unbelievable saves, but he's equally adept at conceding a goal he really should've prevented.

On a lighter note, it was nice to see Defoe on the scoresheet, he's definitely still got it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well if Lithuania scored it would have been unfair as their man was waaaay offside.
Match previews for all games in the football league if anyone is interested

http://www.thefootballedition.com/
Come on England get into these Tory *****
hahahahahaha you guys are so shite

Quick Reply

Latest