Volunteer work in high school ?

So I will be starting the IB program in September and my subjects are :
English Literature - HL
Biology - HL
Chemistry - HL
Maths - SL
French Ab initio SL
Business and Management SL
I though about it a lot in the past few years and I have finally come to the decision that I won't study anything other than medicine . No matter what .
I have already done my IGCSE's but my school only offered 5 subjects ( English as a second language , biology , chemistry , physics and maths ) and thus I only have 5 IGCSE subjects ( I predict A, A, A*, A, A from what I have done ) . This in itself is worrying me as when I apply for medicine I will be viewed as a much much less competitive candidate but I can't really do anything about it now though another problem I have is volunteer work and experience since I live in the United Arab Emirates there aren't any opportunities ( I did some research and best I found is a 3 month long hospital volunteer job though its far from my house about an hour to an hour and a half but I will take it as my last option if I need to ) the country I live in just doesn't believe in teenagers working and whatnot and so I can't really get any experience ( there is no shadowing whatsoever here which I would have loved to do ) and I just wanted to know how badly this would affect my application or if there is anything I can do?
I participate in some extra curricular activities though , for example I figure skate and have been to a couple of competitions and I also used to learn Japanese and I've actually worked in my skating club for a winter camp once where I taught kids how to skate for 2 weeks but that's pretty much it ( I can participate in another camp if I want to since I am part of the figure skating team if that helps ) . How bad is my application going to seem ?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending