The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GhostlyFish
I completely guessed 50% of that paper. Lost at least 4 marks in the multiple choice (I usually guess then go back and check, but the paper was too ****ing hard to actually give me any time to go back at all), got the esterification one wrong (I think), got all the "suggest..." questions wrong. And U1 was so easy.... :frown:

Off topic, but anyone doing CCEA U2 Biology on Friday? Dreading that too.

Mostly everyone found it hard so don't loose hope! :smile:

Yep I'm dreading this Friday too. Only properly started revising today bcos of chem! :/ I've made a thread abt it so feel free to talk there! :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2715040&p=48236278#post48236278
Original post by mollyh77
Go have a look at the grade boundaries for Jan 12 - I can't tell if I'm reading them right but hopefully I am...

Posted from TSR Mobile

What were they? I can't find any CCEA raw mark boundaries online:confused:
Original post by Frank the Tankk
What were they? I can't find any CCEA raw mark boundaries online:confused:

They're on the support page of the microsite
I thiiiiiiiiiink it was 72

Posted from TSR Mobile
See the last question with the diols, was it thionyl chloride or ethanoyl chloride you had to react it with?? And can anyone remember how many marks it was worth?
Reply 84
Ethanoyl chloride! Honestly I am an A2 student and I found that paper as bad as A2!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by shannonod95
See the last question with the diols, was it thionyl chloride or ethanoyl chloride you had to react it with?? And can anyone remember how many marks it was worth?

Thionyl Chloride? Where'd you get that from? It said ethanoyl chloride in the question, right?
Original post by pijips
Thionyl Chloride? Where'd you get that from? It said ethanoyl chloride in the question, right?

Are you Specially reterded
Reply 87
Original post by neillypeely
Are you Specially reterded

"Write the ionic equation for the reaction between barium ions and chromate ions."

Herp Derp Chromium derpaeije
Pijips is trolling, ultra troll he doesn't even do chemistry. Jeez
Reply 89
Original post by neillypeely
Pijips is trolling, ultra troll he doesn't even do chemistry. Jeez

Polymers; they must have only 9 carbons! That makes sense!
Reply 90
See for the one about the incomplete combustion of propane? Was the no. of moles of CO 3000 (bc you used the 2:1ratio and knew total vol =9000.
The the no of moles of o2 was that just worked out from the ratio with the co? And to calc the mass of propane? How did you know how many moles to use? In ratio with the o2? And then did you use avogadros no to work out no of molecules??
Reply 91
Original post by shannonod95

an excess of ethanoyl chloride... the whole q was worth 20marks
Original post by Somebody503
See for the one about the incomplete combustion of propane? Was the no. of moles of CO 3000 (bc you used the 2:1ratio and knew total vol =9000.
The the no of moles of o2 was that just worked out from the ratio with the co? And to calc the mass of propane? How did you know how many moles to use? In ratio with the o2? And then did you use avogadros no to work out no of molecules??

I divided 9000 by 7, as the equation was = 3CO2 + 3CO + H20 (or something like that) which meant there were 7 parts on the RHS of the equation. (3+3+1=7)Not sure if that was right to be honest, but it came out that there were 42.9 moles for every 1 part which means there were (x3) = 128 mol CO2 and CO. Not sure if that makes any sense but thats some of what I did, might be wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by A1d9a9m7
I divided 9000 by 7, as the equation was = 3CO2 + 3CO + H20 (or something like that) which meant there were 7 parts on the RHS of the equation. (3+3+1=7)Not sure if that was right to be honest, but it came out that there were 42.9 moles for every 1 part which means there were (x3) = 128 mol CO2 and CO. Not sure if that makes any sense but thats some of what I did, might be wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You wernt suppose to use the moles of h2o as they were liquid i made same mistake :frown:
Original post by Gallo123
You wernt suppose to use the moles of h2o as they were liquid i made same mistake :frown:

Ahh yeah!! should be only 1 mark lost anyway. i knew i'd done something wrong because of the numbers being so uneven, that makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by A1d9a9m7
Ahh yeah!! should be only 1 mark lost anyway. i knew i'd done something wrong because of the numbers being so uneven, that makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you recon wed get follow through marks for the rest of the question? Howd everyone you know feel about the paper?
Original post by Gallo123
Do you recon wed get follow through marks for the rest of the question? Howd everyone you know feel about the paper?

Yeah, definitely, one mark lost at most for that (if the examiner is kind lol) everyone found it hard, came out of the exam and everyone was like "wtf" haha. How about everyone you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Hope your right dont want to lose all seven marks, i made some silly mistakes through the paper like saying the alcohol gets oxidised to an aldehyde instead of carboxylic acid fs, alot found it quite hard but there wernt many a2 students sitting it so hopefully thats the same everywhere so they dont bring up grade boundary, what were you getting in past papers and what would you say the A would be for that paper haha
Original post by mollyh77
They're on the support page of the microsite
I thiiiiiiiiiink it was 72

Posted from TSR Mobile

One of my friends got the physics grade boundaries for the 2013/Jan 2014 series and module 2 was 53/75 both years! Seems a bit ridiculous.
Same I made loads of stupid mistakes too, like the barium ionic equation I wrote dichromate instead of chromate ions, fs. And the isomers question i didnt understand very well. But yeah, as people said before I think the G. Boundaries will be quite low, maybe around 75-79 for an A. I think i got quite low tbh, in the past papers I was getting mid to high 80s, but that paper yesterday was just really difficult in comparison to the past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending