The Student Room Group

working during a levels

I work at mcdonalds at the moment doing a 6 hour shift after school on Tuesdays. I was wondering if it's worth it to quit now since it's Feb as my alevels start in mid may or if anyone works at mcdonalds is able to tell me if I can take an unpaid leave till end of June?
Reply 1
mcdonald's is normally very flexible so if you just let a manager know of your situation they probably will be able to advice you on what you can do. You can ask for them to give zero hours until you can work but idk for how long though as some restaurants may be understaffed and cannot afford to do that. I would not recommend quitting if you do not mind working there as you're gonna want to have a job already secured before quitting.
Reply 2
Hi! I worked at McDonald’s during a levels but dropped to one day a week in year 13. Since my chain was quite flexible they let me have exam season completely off so I’d recommend doing a similar thing. I’m not sure they’d give you time off until June but you can always ask.

I’d stay if you could since transferring branch for uni is very convenient
Reply 3
Original post by S1ss
mcdonald's is normally very flexible so if you just let a manager know of your situation they probably will be able to advice you on what you can do. You can ask for them to give zero hours until you can work but idk for how long though as some restaurants may be understaffed and cannot afford to do that. I would not recommend quitting if you do not mind working there as you're gonna want to have a job already secured before quitting.
thanks that's quite reassuring
Reply 4
Original post by gglr
Hi! I worked at McDonald’s during a levels but dropped to one day a week in year 13. Since my chain was quite flexible they let me have exam season completely off so I’d recommend doing a similar thing. I’m not sure they’d give you time off until June but you can always ask.

I’d stay if you could since transferring branch for uni is very convenient
okay I may give it a few more weeks before asking for time off but thank you though that's quite reassuring
Original post by 4f4nwi
I work at mcdonalds at the moment doing a 6 hour shift after school on Tuesdays. I was wondering if it's worth it to quit now since it's Feb as my alevels start in mid may or if anyone works at mcdonalds is able to tell me if I can take an unpaid leave till end of June?

id give it a bit longer yet before having time off.
If you were doing more hours id say drop your hours over exam season.
Nearer the time, speak to them about having some time off over exam season. They are pretty flexible (i used to work there myself). Even use some holiday if need be.
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
id give it a bit longer yet before having time off.
If you were doing more hours id say drop your hours over exam season.
Nearer the time, speak to them about having some time off over exam season. They are pretty flexible (i used to work there myself). Even use some holiday if need be.
yes okay thank you. I could ask to start my time off at the end of march. does that sound reasonable?
Original post by 4f4nwi
yes okay thank you. I could ask to start my time off at the end of march. does that sound reasonable?

When are your exams?
Reply 8
When are your exams?
Psychology papers run from 17th May - 3rd June
Biology papers run from 5th June - 19th June
Chemistry papers run from 10th June - 21st June
Original post by 4f4nwi
Psychology papers run from 17th May - 3rd June
Biology papers run from 5th June - 19th June
Chemistry papers run from 10th June - 21st June

Oh right.
It may just be me, bit finishing the end of march seems a bit excessive. Could you not stretch it out until the end of april. Especially seeing as you are only doing 6 hours a week.
Reply 10
Oh right.
It may just be me, bit finishing the end of march seems a bit excessive. Could you not stretch it out until the end of april. Especially seeing as you are only doing 6 hours a week.
I could go till around mid April cus around then I think all of the the content would have been finished and I can put all my focus un revising

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending