The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

too stupid for a masters at imperial? (deciding masters course by end of today!)

soo i've been offered a place at imperial to study the ecology, evolution and conservation msc. i also have a place at leeds for a similar course.

i've been weighing it up for months but i simply cannot decide between the two. i prefer leeds but i dont want to turn down an opportunity to study at such a prestigious university as imperial. my main concern is that in the great money-making game of postgraduate degrees imperial could have offered me a place im not worthy of. i went to a red brick uni and im a decent student, though i got a 2:1 overall. i dont want to get there and find myself overwhelmed - will the masters be as difficult at the bachelors degrees? would i be more sensible to take the leeds place which i could probably do well in, or go with imperial simply so i can write that name on my CV?

oh lordly i really dont have a clue what to do and i need to decide by tonight: ANY advice would be appreciated! x
Reply 1
[h="1"]“If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes then learn how to do it later!”[/h]
Richard Branson
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Tbh it really sounds like you've already decided on Leeds and are just letting yourself be dazzled by 'prestige'. It would be silly to go for Imperial just for the name in my opinion, especially when Leeds is a very good uni, but on the other hand, it's not worth worrying about not being 'clever enough'. If you meet the requirements, it's not in their interest to make a course that people won't complete or will do poorly in.

Focus on which has the best course for you (e.g. which do you prefer in terms of content? Which has the better practical/research experience that fits with your future plans? What about other opportunities, such as working with particular institutions/organisations or networking opportunities?).

I have an offer for MSc Taxonomy and Biodiversity and I really wouldn't go for it if the course didn't tick all the right boxes. It's expensive, and it's going to be an insane amount of hard work, so it's pretty important to get more out of it than a university name on your CV.
Original post by lobloblob
my main concern is that in the great money-making game of postgraduate degrees imperial could have offered me a place im not worthy of

I don't think you have to worry about that with Imperial. They get enough applicants that they can make all the money they want from just highly qualified applicants :smile:.

Imperial's admission rate for postgraduate studies is something like 20%, so they think you are better than 80% of people who applied!
Reply 4
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
I don't think you have to worry about that with Imperial. They get enough applicants that they can make all the money they want from just highly qualified applicants :smile:.

Imperial's admission rate for postgraduate studies is something like 20%, so they think you are better than 80% of people who applied!

crikey i didnt know that! haha that certainly does make me feel better, i think it was mainly my experience that sold it for me. i know just from looking at the modules and timetable that imperial will be mad hard work, but i dont really know whether masters 'grades' (pass, merit, distinction etc.) are really important or not.
Reply 5
Original post by heidigirl
Tbh it really sounds like you've already decided on Leeds and are just letting yourself be dazzled by 'prestige'. It would be silly to go for Imperial just for the name in my opinion, especially when Leeds is a very good uni, but on the other hand, it's not worth worrying about not being 'clever enough'. If you meet the requirements, it's not in their interest to make a course that people won't complete or will do poorly in.

Focus on which has the best course for you (e.g. which do you prefer in terms of content? Which has the better practical/research experience that fits with your future plans? What about other opportunities, such as working with particular institutions/organisations or networking opportunities?).

I have an offer for MSc Taxonomy and Biodiversity and I really wouldn't go for it if the course didn't tick all the right boxes. It's expensive, and it's going to be an insane amount of hard work, so it's pretty important to get more out of it than a university name on your CV.

oh you have an offer too? i have to say the price is somewhat throwing me off, leeds is the same price but with an all expenses paid trip to kenya included. unfortunately on the imperial website theres no information about course links to industry or job prospects, which would make my decision easier! are you at silwood park?
Reply 6

oh by the way i ended up accepting my place at leeds because theres a deadline to apply for accommodation tomorrow, but i might still change my mind!
oh you have an offer too? i have to say the price is somewhat throwing me off, leeds is the same price but with an all expenses paid trip to kenya included. unfortunately on the imperial website theres no information about course links to industry or job prospects, which would make my decision easier! are you at silwood park?

South Kensington, because my course is jointly run with the Natural History Museum. Aside from that the modules are perfect for what I want to do interests and skills wise, that pretty much sold it for me tbh, I'm in love with the NHM and it's a great opportunity to get the right contacts for PhDs (a large number of which at least partly involve the NHM for the area I'm interested in).

So yeah, I'm definitely going to get a lot out of my course, but I'm afraid I don't know a lot about the ecology, evolution and conservation course. I looked at some of the other courses when I applied-the Silwood campus looked lovely :daydreaming:-but not that one.
Reply 8
Original post by ihavemooedtoday

Hi,
Not to be rude, but admission for postgraduate studies is not so difficult depending on what course that you want. :smile:

soo i've been offered a place at imperial to study the ecology, evolution and conservation msc. i also have a place at leeds for a similar course.

i've been weighing it up for months but i simply cannot decide between the two. i prefer leeds but i dont want to turn down an opportunity to study at such a prestigious university as imperial. my main concern is that in the great money-making game of postgraduate degrees imperial could have offered me a place im not worthy of. i went to a red brick uni and im a decent student, though i got a 2:1 overall. i dont want to get there and find myself overwhelmed - will the masters be as difficult at the bachelors degrees? would i be more sensible to take the leeds place which i could probably do well in, or go with imperial simply so i can write that name on my CV?

oh lordly i really dont have a clue what to do and i need to decide by tonight: ANY advice would be appreciated! x

Well, if you are international student, you know that tuition fees is definitely high. Both uni also not bad. Things to be concerned: budget, lifestyle, environment. Whether is it money worthy or not, it also depend on the way you apply your knowledge to your later workplace. If you probably do well in Leeds, you can also do well in Imperial. Since there are also other students that study the same course with you, do not worry too much even before starting the course. No offence but it doesn't mean that you come from Imperial is better than Leeds. Hope you enjoy your course no matter you choose Imperial or Leeds !:h:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
South Kensington, because my course is jointly run with the Natural History Museum. Aside from that the modules are perfect for what I want to do interests and skills wise, that pretty much sold it for me tbh, I'm in love with the NHM and it's a great opportunity to get the right contacts for PhDs (a large number of which at least partly involve the NHM for the area I'm interested in).

So yeah, I'm definitely going to get a lot out of my course, but I'm afraid I don't know a lot about the ecology, evolution and conservation course. I looked at some of the other courses when I applied-the Silwood campus looked lovely :daydreaming:-but not that one.

ah i love the NHM, that sounds so cool! which course are you doing? tbh when i first applied i didnt know about silwood park and it was south kensington that sold it for me! and if i was based there it probably would be a much easier decision for me, nearly everyone ive spoken to has told me silwood is a pretty lonely and boring place to live, and becomes considerably less enthusiastic when i mention im based there instead of central!

Congratulations on your offer! I've also applied to the Biodiversity and Taxonomy masters. Looks like a lot of hard work, the workload is epic apparently. Have you looked at the programme guide? So many contact hours...well at least we're getting our moneys worth. It would be amazing to study at the NHM, was your offer conditional of a 2.1?
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Congratulations on your offer! I've also applied to the Biodiversity and Taxonomy masters. Looks like a lot of hard work, the workload is epic apparently. Have you looked at the programme guide? So many contact hours...well at least we're getting our moneys worth. It would be amazing to study at the NHM, was your offer conditional of a 2.1?

Yeah, it was a 2.1, which I've met. I'm so excited, the modules look amazing. I'm even kind of excited about the statistics module using R :biggrin:

The molecular systematics module looks like it's going to be gruelling-it lasts 5 weeks (compared to the 1-2 weeks of the other modules) but I guess there's a lot to cover and it'll involve a lot of practical work which takes quite a long time (especially if we're doing things like PCRs).

It's probably just as well it's a lot of work, a social life isn't in my budget! :tongue:
Yeah, it was a 2.1, which I've met. I'm so excited, the modules look amazing. I'm even kind of excited about the statistics module using R :biggrin:

The molecular systematics module looks like it's going to be gruelling-it lasts 5 weeks (compared to the 1-2 weeks of the other modules) but I guess there's a lot to cover and it'll involve a lot of practical work which takes quite a long time (especially if we're doing things like PCRs).

It's probably just as well it's a lot of work, a social life isn't in my budget! :tongue:

It'll be great to be around the museum, hopefully we can make some good contacts. I've just graduated from an anthropology degree so am especially looking forward to the talks on human evolution by Chris Stringer. Havn't been accepted yet, just hope I can hack all the maths to be honest lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending