The Student Room Group

Cambridge MLMI vs. Imperial AI

Hi everyone,

I plan on pursuing a master's in Machine Learning / AI in the UK and have found the MSc Artificial Intelligence at Imperial and the MPhil Machine Learning & Machine Intelligence at Cambridge very interesting.

I was wondering if there are any insights I should know of before deciding which university to attend.

I have already received an offer from Imperial and I need to reply to it by February 15th. I will most likely receive a decision on my Cambridge application a couple of days prior, which is why I need to start thinking about it now.

I thought of Cambridge as my first choice because of the brand name, but reading the post attached below made me reconsider.

https://www.quora.com/Should-I-do-a-PhD-at-Edinburgh-University-or-MPhil-at-Cambridge

Any insights?

Thanks a lot!

P.S: I have also received an offer for UCL's MSc Computational Statistics & Machine Learning, but preferred Imperial's course structure. Is this reasonable?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by edluyuanuk
is applying to basically the same programmes as you do. What I heard is that the MLMI contents are bit outdated but still in term of reputation better that imperial? Was from UCL and audit some of the CSMLh courses in namely RL and unsupervised learning etc I’ll say CSML and MLMI is probably slightly more reputable than imperial programmes mainly for the Gatsby Unit and deepmind name etc but imperial is more solid in teaching which is kinda of big weakness for UCL at least from my experience. Btw can I ask which track in MLMI did you applied to?

Thanks for your reply!

I see, I should definitely look more into UCL then.

I applied to Computer Vision & Robotics track at Cambridge.
Reply 2
Original post by RandomUser1219
Hi everyone,

I plan on pursuing a master's in Machine Learning / AI in the UK and have found the MSc Artificial Intelligence at Imperial and the MPhil Machine Learning & Machine Intelligence at Cambridge very interesting.

I was wondering if there are any insights I should know of before deciding which university to attend.

I have already received an offer from Imperial and I need to reply to it by February 15th. I will most likely receive a decision on my Cambridge application a couple of days prior, which is why I need to start thinking about it now.

I thought of Cambridge as my first choice because of the brand name, but reading the post attached below made me reconsider.

https://www.quora.com/Should-I-do-a-PhD-at-Edinburgh-University-or-MPhil-at-Cambridge

Any insights?

Thanks a lot!

P.S: I have also received an offer for UCL's MSc Computational Statistics & Machine Learning, but preferred Imperial's course structure. Is this reasonable?

I'm looking to put an application for both UCL Machine Learning and Imperial course this weekend. Do you think I'm too late?
Original post by DNOFHF
I'm looking to put an application for both UCL Machine Learning and Imperial course this weekend. Do you think I'm too late?

No, I do not. A friend of mine that is currently enrolled in the MSc Ai at Imperial applied around March. You’re good.
Reply 4
Original post by RandomUser1219
No, I do not. A friend of mine that is currently enrolled in the MSc Ai at Imperial applied around March. You’re good.

That's great thank you! Do you know if they do an interview for the course? I'm applying to the Computing (AI & ML)?
Hi! I am in the very same situation, I got accepted into both Cambridge ML and Imperial AI. Have you decided between the two?

I'd go for Cambridge for the name + the experience of living in a city like Cambridge
Original post by romainpuech
Hi! I am in the very same situation, I got accepted into both Cambridge ML and Imperial AI. Have you decided between the two?

I'd go for Cambridge for the name + the experience of living in a city like Cambridge

Living in Cambridge is nice to be sure but I don't think it's really nice enough to be a major factor. It's pretty much just an example of a very nice mid sized country city in the UK. Lots of other similar examples across the UK! It also has the downside of having a cost of living nearly as much as London compared to those others...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending