The Student Room Group

Should graduates that get a 1st get their tuition fees refunded?

This poll is closed

Graduates with Ist should have fees refunded

Yes 24%
No 70%
don't know 0%
Refund a proportion6%
Total votes: 33
I think it would be a good incentive for people to work harder if they get their degree for free, disregarding maintenance costs.
Reply 1
No.
No. Certain universities are far too generous with their Firsts and you could argue that a 2:1 from Oxbridge requires more effort than a First from London Met.
I think it'd accelerate grade inflation and likely tie the unis appeals process up in knots.
Lots of people benefit from services that they pay for. Doesn't mean they deserve a refund. That's not how businesses work.
Reply 5
It'd just cost the government more money, and it'd be paying money to people who are less likely to need it. Benefits like this should be for people who need them. Also, I agree with the idea that it's probably easier to get a first from some lower ranked unis than the high ranked ones.

I think that people from less well-off backgrounds should be supported more though. Now there seems to be an issue for them which doesn't exist for more well-off people, where they can't have as much opportunity for unpaid internships etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Maker
I think it would be a good incentive for people to work harder if they get their degree for free, disregarding maintenance costs.

No, but they should get a tuition fee waiver for a Masters.
With the amount of money at stake, and the huge differences in administration systems, this would create the greatest ****storm in educational history

brb bribery
brb cheating
brb blackmail
brb corruption
brb falsification of test results
brb grade syndicates
brb massive conflicts of interest

Possible worst idea thread of the year so far
(edited 9 years ago)
No, because it would mean people who got a 2:1 would be sponsoring those who got 1sts.
Reply 9
No, because you should be trying hard enough if you're paying 9k a year anyway, it's your own responsibility, there's no need to dangle money on a string to try and make people strive for a first class degree.
Perhaps they shouldn't be waivers completely just partially

Nightworld1066
Really? There's so many flaws in that idea I wouldn't know where to begin.
Original post by Maker

Who is bearing the cost of this free lunch?

Is it the rest of the students so that fees are £10K unless you get a first when it is £0?

Is it taxpayers so that effectively the taxpayer gives the biggest subsidy to these likely to a group likely to have one of the highest earning capacities?
No, there are far too many mickey mouse degrees out there, which anyone could get a first in. Not fair for those that study serious degrees.
It would also lead to mental health issues especially in the 3rd year, physical issues, addictions just dealing with the stress

Nightworld1066
Surely the idea is you strive to get a first because better opportunities will then be open to them and they will earn more money, that being the reward. Although a range of studies recently have found that getting a first over a 2:1 improves your life-time earnings minimally if at all...
No there's too many technicalities; also let's be honest, a lot of us are lucky to get maintenance loans/grants:
I got a 1st and my degree was free anyway. Win win.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I got a 1st and my degree was free anyway. Win win.

You bastard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending