The Student Room Group

Student Finance for non-UK/EEA spouse of UK National

Hi! I'm just trying to understand the system of student finance before the applications open for 2024/2025. I have already graduated with a degree and have now received an offer to join the 5-year Medicine course.

I qualify for Home fee status as I am a family member of a British national and I have also been ordinarily resident in the UK for exactly the 3 years prior to the start of my course.

As I understand it, those studying on the 5-year Medicine course are eligible for a maintenance loan from Years 1-4 of their degree based on their household income. Does this mean I would also qualify as someone that is non-UK and non-EEA but a family member of a UK national who has been ordinarily resident for 3 years prior to the start of the course?

Also, when I submit my application this year, I would still be employed full-time but I would be leaving my job before the start of my course. How does this affect the household income when I am making the application?

Thank you and hope to get some clarification on this. It would be very much appreciated.
Hi there,

Can you confirm what nationality you are and what is your status in the UK? How long have you lived in the UK?

Thanks, Drew
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

Can you confirm what nationality you are and what is your status in the UK? How long have you lived in the UK?

Thanks, Drew
Hi Drew,

I am Malaysian and I have been in the UK since 16th September 2018 first on a student visa for three years and then a graduate visa for 2 years. Currently, I am on the partner/spouse visa.

Thank you!
Hi there,

Do you have indefinite leave to remain or limited leave to remain? Did you already study an undergraduate degree in the UK or was it in another country?

Thanks, Drew
Hi there,

Do you have indefinite leave to remain or limited leave to remain? Did you already study an undergraduate degree in the UK or was it in another country?

Thanks, Drew

Hi,

I do not have indefinite leave to remain. I’m currently on the partner/spouse visa and will have to renew my visa two years from now. After a total of five years on this visa, I will be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. I studied my undergraduate degree in the UK from September 2018.

Thank you!
Hi there,

In the 1st year of your course you would be eligible for £5785 for the Tuition Fee Loan and you would need to self fund £3465 for the Tuition Fee Loan. In years 2-4 you would be eligible for £5535 for the Tuition Fee Loan and the NHS will pay £3715 of the Tuition Fee Loan.

In the 1st year can apply for a higher rate of Maintenance Loan and in years 2-4 you can apply for a reduced rate of Maintenance Loan.

In year 5 you are entitled to an income-assessed NHS bursary and, therefore, we award you the reduced rate of maintenance loan only.

We do not take a students earned income into consideration for your household income.

Thanks, Drew
Hi there,

In the 1st year of your course you would be eligible for £5785 for the Tuition Fee Loan and you would need to self fund £3465 for the Tuition Fee Loan. In years 2-4 you would be eligible for £5535 for the Tuition Fee Loan and the NHS will pay £3715 of the Tuition Fee Loan.

In the 1st year can apply for a higher rate of Maintenance Loan and in years 2-4 you can apply for a reduced rate of Maintenance Loan.

In year 5 you are entitled to an income-assessed NHS bursary and, therefore, we award you the reduced rate of maintenance loan only.

We do not take a students earned income into consideration for your household income.

Thanks, Drew
Hi Drew,

Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify, would I qualify for the tuition fee loans? I thought that it was only meant for those on their first degrees and regardless of the fact I did not use tuition fee loans for my first degree, I would not qualify. Therefore, I thought that only the maintenance loan would be available to me during my Medicine degree.

Hope you can clarify this for me.

Thanks!
Original post by sunflower_97
Hi Drew,

Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify, would I qualify for the tuition fee loans? I thought that it was only meant for those on their first degrees and regardless of the fact I did not use tuition fee loans for my first degree, I would not qualify. Therefore, I thought that only the maintenance loan would be available to me during my Medicine degree.

Hope you can clarify this for me.

Thanks!
Hi there,

Medicine is an exception course, so you can be entitled to funding even if you've studied before. So, based on this the information Drew provided is right, rest assured.

To know for sure we'd definitely recommend making an application online. The 24/25 applications should open in the next month or so. When they do we'd suggest applying online and we can then tell you exactly what you're entitled to.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Medicine is an exception course, so you can be entitled to funding even if you've studied before. So, based on this the information Drew provided is right, rest assured.

To know for sure we'd definitely recommend making an application online. The 24/25 applications should open in the next month or so. When they do we'd suggest applying online and we can then tell you exactly what you're entitled to.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Thank you for explaining that to me, Graeme. I shall make an application and hope for the best!
You're welcome, have a nice day. :smile:
Hi, just wanted to check something as I’m rather confused. When I did the online application, there was a question asking whether both my partner and I lived in the UK on the 31st of December 2020 and if so, did we move from the EEA, Gibraltar or Switzerland before this date but after 1st of January 2018. This is a bit confusing as both my partner and I lived in the UK before the 31st of December 2020 and did not move to the UK from those countries within that time period. When I clicked ‘No’, it redirects me to the tuition-fee only paper application and says I’m not eligible for the maintenance loan. When I called the hotline to speak to someone, they also said I do not qualify for maintenance loan. However, on gov.uk, it says that I would qualify for full support if I am a family of a UK national and we both have lived in the UK for 3-years prior to the start of the course (which we have).

Any clarifications on this would be much appreciated!
Original post by sunflower_97
Hi, just wanted to check something as I’m rather confused. When I did the online application, there was a question asking whether both my partner and I lived in the UK on the 31st of December 2020 and if so, did we move from the EEA, Gibraltar or Switzerland before this date but after 1st of January 2018. This is a bit confusing as both my partner and I lived in the UK before the 31st of December 2020 and did not move to the UK from those countries within that time period. When I clicked ‘No’, it redirects me to the tuition-fee only paper application and says I’m not eligible for the maintenance loan. When I called the hotline to speak to someone, they also said I do not qualify for maintenance loan. However, on gov.uk, it says that I would qualify for full support if I am a family of a UK national and we both have lived in the UK for 3-years prior to the start of the course (which we have).
Any clarifications on this would be much appreciated!

Hi there. Can you please confirm the date that you moved to the UK? Thanks, David
Original post by David SLC
Hi there. Can you please confirm the date that you moved to the UK? Thanks, David

16th September 2018
Thank you. Going from that, our guidance does indicate you would be able to apply as a family member of a UK national. In this case, I would answer Yes to that question online to continue with this so we can review the application. The only other option other than doing this would be to send a paper application form. Thanks, David

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending