The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mazzaion
They'll probably agree, Corpus did for me, they're usually quite understanding with international people :':wink:

Thanks. How quickly do they reply to emails?
Original post by prndl2
Check the spam, that is where I got it...... Found that they sent the arrangement only 1 minute after the invitation one

still nothing as of yet, i'll check over the next few days, still can't believe that I actually got an interview!
Interview at St Peter's for Mathematics and Statistics :biggrin:
Original post by raluca1
Interview at St Peter's for Mathematics and Statistics :biggrin:

Congratulations! When is it?
Original post by Adoxography
I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion? I dont really know what to think about what's happened.

I applied to study English, having obtained AAAAAB at AS Level, and was predicted A* A* A* A A at A2 (one of those As is general studies) My GCSEs were all A*s and As too, and my submitted written work was worth full marks ( as was my other piece which I could have sent)

Naturally, my teachers were really optimistic for my chances- the only blip in my application being that I resat year 12 after some pretty horrendous extenuating circumstances that included, but was not limited to, family death, the extremely bitter and aggressive divorce of my parents, and my own struggles with serious health problems that affected my sleep, concentration and memory (down to the point where I couldn't remember the content of a page after reading it)
My first time at year 12 I got an A in general studies, a C in maths, Ds in Biology and Chemistry and a B in Art. At the time I wasnt applying for English, but something more science based, because my parents had pressured me in that direction- I come from a family of doctors.
As part of resitting, I decided to switch Art for English Literature (which I'd always loved, but hadnt thought matched with what I intended to study at the time) and after just one lesson, I was reminded of how much I loved it, and decided that I wanted to apply for that instead.
My English teacher said I should apply for Oxford, but I wasnt sure about their policy on resits, so I emailed that and recieved a reply saying

"You would be welcome to make an application when applying under the below circumstances, we would very strongly recommend that your references mention these in their reference, but also that your academic projection would be on track for the entrance requirements. To ensure that you application was strong in the other areas, you would still be required to have achieved (or predicted) AAA, one of these subjects should be English Literature or the combined English Language and Literature subject."

I went on to achieved As in all my subjects the second time round, which is a truer representation of what I can do, seeing as my health problem had been sorted by the time I went back to year 12 in September. I was thrilled, as you can imagine.

I received a pre-interview rejection from Oxford, on Saturday the 28th of November. On Monday the 30th, I managed to get in contact with the Admissions office, and was told that they were reconsidering my application because of the information I'd sent when I originally asked them about resits, and that they would get back to me either that afternoon, or Tuesday morning. Wednesday came and I'd still not heard anything, so I rang them on wednesday evening, only to find that they had yet to contact the English Department- so my application had not been considered yet. This morning, I was told that the English Department had recommended my rejection not be changed, and they refused to tell me any more in the way of feedback. I'm feeling really mucked about, and rather humiliated, because I dont get the feeling my application was ever really reconsidered, given the quick turn around from Wednesday to Thursday. They have told me I can wait for feedback in January, but if I have any more concerns (given they've already messed up my application once) January will be too late to do anything about them.

None of my teachers can think of any reason that my application would stand out for rejection, especially before interview, and I'm really confused as to what's happened. If anyone could give their opinion I would be really grateful.

I'm so sorry. Honestly, most people who apply are probably of a high enough academic standard to study there - they just can't interview all those people. It's no reflection on your ability and I think you did amazing in your resit, especially recovering from such circumstances. I'm sure you'll get offers from fantastic unis and go on to earn a fab degree. Someone in my school got rejected for English with AAAA at A-level, while I've been called with only AABC. I could only imagine that it was the ELAT that hindered you and other capable students who've received rejections. Best of luck with your education and don't let this hold you back :smile:
Original post by whoskal
Thanks. How quickly do they reply to emails?

They usually reply the next day, and I've actually had quite a few issues needing sorting out so I was very happy with that :biggrin:
Reply 8966
Original post by Eux
For maths? How do you think your MAT went & what are your stats GCSE/AS wise?

Yeah for Maths. I think the MAT went pretty well and would be suprised if I got much below 60.
I got 6A*, 4A. 1B at GCSE. 3A, 1B at AS I am predicted A*A*AA at A2 level. My GCSE school was well below national average for A*-C so that is why my GCSEs may seem a little low.
Original post by Aquaxo
I do! :-)

So do I! When are your interviews?
Original post by VSX
Yeah for Maths. I think the MAT went pretty well and would be suprised if I got much below 60.
I got 6A*, 4A. 1B at GCSE. 3A, 1B at AS I am predicted A*A*AA at A2 level. My GCSE school was well below national average for A*-C so that is why my GCSEs may seem a little low.

Ahh, you on the MAT thread? Got a few people discussing it there
Original post by DonPaxis
Hi! I was just wondering whether any Modern Languages/Balliol interviewees have been emailed interview details?

I have an interview for Modern Languages at Oriel next week but have only been told the dates I will need to be in Oxford for- I assume we will just be notified when we are there!
Original post by kjames1000
I have an interview for Modern Languages at Oriel next week but have only been told the dates I will need to be in Oxford for- I assume we will just be notified when we are there!

Ah congratulations! I know someone else with a Modern Languages interview there! What language/s do you want to study?
Anyone have a Law interview next week?
Original post by Woffus
Everyone I know got a reply on the 2nd, might be worth checking different emails/folders?

Ahh thanks I might ring them tomorrow then, I've checked everywhere!!
Original post by DonPaxis
Ah congratulations! I know someone else with a Modern Languages interview there! What language/s do you want to study?
Ooh they are the first other than me that I have heard of! French and German, you? Good luck for yours
Does anyone know what accomodation is like while staying for your interviews? Like is it shared shower facilities? And are there specific meal times? I'm staying at St. Hilda's college, btw.
Original post by mazzaion
Congrats :biggrin: Course I or II ? I loved Brasenose College too, I'm hoping my second interview will be either there or at Merton!

Thanks! I do Latin A Level so Course IB. Ah, if it's at Merton I'll see you there!
Original post by J.owen98
Ahh thanks I might ring them tomorrow then, I've checked everywhere!!

Yeah no harm in making sure, tell me how it goes! Good luck :h:
Original post by Tessie25
Does anyone know what accomodation is like while staying for your interviews? Like is it shared shower facilities? And are there specific meal times? I'm staying at St. Hilda's college, btw.

The email I got from my college told me a few bits like that. I'm staying at Balliol and they said that dinner is 18:30-19:30 so I presume it'll be similar. Best of luck anyway
Reply 8978
Original post by Eux
Ahh, you on the MAT thread? Got a few people discussing it there

Yeah, seen a couple of people get rejected and someone get an interview for Worcester, which makes me wonder what is going on seeing as there is only a couple of days left until the week deadline before the interview.
Anybody else going for worcester econ management next week?

Latest

Trending

Trending