The Student Room Group

TSR Movie Madness: Group H QF4: Toy Story 3 V Mary and Max

This poll is closed

Group H: Quarter Final 4

3. Toy Story 3 94%
6. Mary and Max6%
Total votes: 47
Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Toy Story 3 (2010)
Toy Story 3 saw Pixar return to their initial success of Andy and his toys. The movie begins with Andy leaving for college and donating his beloved toys - including Woody and Buzz - to a daycare. While the crew meets new friends, including Ken, they soon grow to hate their new surroundings and plan an escape. Featuring voice acting from top talent including Tom Hanks and Tim Allen.

"Clay-mation might seem an odd choice for a tale of two loners, mental illness, and manic depression, but "Mary and Max" has become a fan-favourite for it's memorable colour-scheme, bold characters and unforgettable yet simple plot. Something of a hidden gem, it's a film to seek out, cherish, and show your friends at every available opportunity. Who says "animation" has to mean "kids film"?"
TS 3 is soooo overrated!
Reply 2
Mary and Max. I like the Toy Story movies but once you have seen one, you have pretty much seen them all. Mary and Max was unique both in storyline and film style.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mary and Max is easily the better film here, but I voted Toy Story 3 and know it's what will go through. :hat2:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Mary and Max is easily the better film here, but I voted Toy Story 3 and know it's what will go through. :hat2:

Traitor! Of course, M & M will get obliterated.
Original post by just a dad
Traitor! Of course, M & M will get obliterated.

:ninja2:

Hah sorry, I did feel a pang of guilt. Toy Story 3 is a good enough film that it's ok though :h:
Not gonna lie, I'd never even heard of Mary and Max until the 64 films thread :K:
Toy Story 3: not even the best Toy Story!

M&M: claymation is not just W&G...
Original post by unprinted
Toy Story 3: not even the best Toy Story!.

I'd say it was the worst of the three!
Me too.
Never even heard of Mary and Max, but TS3 wasn't the best one but it still has to be TS3 in this vote
Toy story 3 is horrible, but I've never even heard of the other one but it's synopsis looks interesting. Should give it a watch some time

Wait what?
Original post by manchesterunited15
Wait what?

I didn't understand that logic either. Although on this poll it hardly matters as M&M is getting smashed.

I'd be more bothered if it was a close one.

Confused...

Why not vote for Mary and max if you think it is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by manchesterunited15
Wait what?

Original post by just a dad
I didn't understand that logic either. Although on this poll it hardly matters as M&M is getting smashed.

I'd be more bothered if it was a close one.

Original post by Motorbiker
Confused...

Why not vote for Mary and max if you think it is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, realised I mayhaps should have elaborated more :giggle:

Basically that whilst I find Mary and Max to be the better film in terms of device and narrative, I think Toy Story 3 is incredibly socially significant. The exploration of the construction of American cultural identity, primarily through the two staples of their cinematic mythos (The Cowboy and The Astronaut) is a far deeper and more incisive exploration than anything Mary and Max comes close to. I love the film, but it's quite overt in the messages and I feel lacks the depth of Toy Story 3.

The main problem with Toy Story 3 was that it was convoluted and a bit sprawling. But the messages of the film are still there, and it's placed itself comfortably as a staple of the genre. Hence gets my vote. :ahee:
Reply 16
Toy Story 3 as I've not seen Mary and Max like so many others :tongue:
Toy story 3 gets the vote because it's the obvious winner.

But it is a crime that Mary & Max doesn't get a chance. Easily capable of standing toe to toe with TS3.
Ah, realised I mayhaps should have elaborated more :giggle:

Basically that whilst I find Mary and Max to be the better film in terms of device and narrative, I think Toy Story 3 is incredibly socially significant. The exploration of the construction of American cultural identity, primarily through the two staples of their cinematic mythos (The Cowboy and The Astronaut) is a far deeper and more incisive exploration than anything Mary and Max comes close to. I love the film, but it's quite overt in the messages and I feel lacks the depth of Toy Story 3.

The main problem with Toy Story 3 was that it was convoluted and a bit sprawling. But the messages of the film are still there, and it's placed itself comfortably as a staple of the genre. Hence gets my vote. :ahee:

That makes sense!

I was just really confused the first time.

This this is one of the biggest landslide victories so far!
Original post by Motorbiker
That makes sense!

I was just really confused the first time.

This this is one of the biggest landslide victories so far!

A reflection on how bad the MM marketing team were :ninja:

Quick Reply

Latest