The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Biochemistry Predicted grades

Hi guys so I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on this. If I manage to get predicted AAA in math chem and bio would I stand a chance to get an offer from Imperial, despite these grades being the minimum entry requirement? My GCSE grades are 8s and 9s and according to my form tutor I've got a really good personal statement, so would you say I stand a chance? Also could the same be said for UCL and Kings?
Thank u guys 🥲

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thepersonwhoate
Hi guys so I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on this. If I manage to get predicted AAA in math chem and bio would I stand a chance to get an offer from Imperial, despite these grades being the minimum entry requirement? My GCSE grades are 8s and 9s and according to my form tutor I've got a really good personal statement, so would you say I stand a chance? Also could the same be said for UCL and Kings?
Thank u guys 🥲

I'm no expert by any means, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I think you could! :biggrin:

But if you do apply, only do it for one of these three, max two if you feel confident, and keep your remaining 3-4 as safe choices. UCL, ICL and KCL tend to be overly competitive.

Generally, you're expected to match the minimum entry requirements for the course you apply for, and as long as you're sure you can do that, I don't see a problem with it.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I'm no expert by any means, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I think you could! :biggrin:

But if you do apply, only do it for one of these three, max two if you feel confident, and keep your remaining 3-4 as safe choices. UCL, ICL and KCL tend to be overly competitive.

Generally, you're expected to match the minimum entry requirements for the course you apply for, and as long as you're sure you can do that, I don't see a problem with it.

Thank you for replying! Yess they're quite competitive which is why I'm trying to push my predicteds to A*AA with the A* in chem so that I can at least stand a good chance. But yep, those three are unfortunately my 3 favourite unis and they're too competitive 😢 but you're right, it's not sensible to apply to all 3.
Thank you for replying! Yess they're quite competitive which is why I'm trying to push my predicteds to A*AA with the A* in chem so that I can at least stand a good chance. But yep, those three are unfortunately my 3 favourite unis and they're too competitive 😢 but you're right, it's not sensible to apply to all 3.

A quick google search will pull up results on exactly how competitive each of these three unis are for biochem. They vary a little bit. I'd recommend you look into that.

What other unis are you planning to apply to?
A quick google search will pull up results on exactly how competitive each of these three unis are for biochem. They vary a little bit. I'd recommend you look into that.

What other unis are you planning to apply to?

I'm thinking of Edinburgh and either Queen Mary's or Manchester

I've heard a lot of great things about those unis! :biggrin:

Manchester in particular shot up to 5th RP in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021, so if research is something you're interested in, maybe look there. Are you looking to go into a research field?

Not researched Queen Mary since I'm not applying there.

Edinburgh is another good uni for the sciences. (Though I'm not applying to Scotland unis. I also didn't like the whole 4-year program, but there's no denying its a great place to learn, or so I've heard.)
I've heard a lot of great things about those unis! :biggrin:

Manchester in particular shot up to 5th RP in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021, so if research is something you're interested in, maybe look there. Are you looking to go into a research field?

Not researched Queen Mary since I'm not applying there.

Edinburgh is another good uni for the sciences. (Though I'm not applying to Scotland unis. I also didn't like the whole 4-year program, but there's no denying its a great place to learn, or so I've heard.)

Oh cool, that's good to hear! Where are you applying?
Oh cool, that's good to hear! Where are you applying?

I'm planning to apply to UCL, KCL, Birmingham, Bath/Manchester (still deciding) and Sheffield for biomed, so similar course! :biggrin:
I'm planning to apply to UCL, KCL, Birmingham, Bath/Manchester (still deciding) and Sheffield for biomed, so similar course! :biggrin:

Biomed is so interesting and those are really good unis! Good luck 😊
Biomed is so interesting and those are really good unis! Good luck 😊

Thank you for your well wishes 😊 Good luck to you as well! If you and I both end up in UCL or KCL, you never know, we might end up meeting each other!
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you for your well wishes 😊 Good luck to you as well! If you and I both end up in UCL or KCL, you never know, we might end up meeting each other!

No worries! Yeah that would be pretty cool 😊
No worries! Yeah that would be pretty cool 😊

I'll look out for your offers post, whenever you make it! Feel free to tag me there (and anywhere else!) :h:
I'll look out for your offers post, whenever you make it! Feel free to tag me there (and anywhere else!) :h:

Will do!
Reply 13

yooooo i applied to manchester for biochem
Original post by Cyion

Wishing you the best of luck with your application! :h:

I'm applying for biomed (similar course, yay! :biggrin:), and I'm considering Manchester too!
Original post by Cyion

Ayyy I might apply there as well :smile:
Where else have you applied?
Reply 16
Ayyy I might apply there as well :smile:
Where else have you applied?

I applied to exeter, york, keele and bath as well
Original post by Cyion
I applied to exeter, york, keele and bath as well

Cool cool! I've heard great things about Bath, many of my friends are applying there as well 🙂
Thank u guys 🥲

have you heard back yet from either? what did you apply for
Original post by lenaniddam
have you heard back yet from either? what did you apply for

Sorry for the late response, was just busy with mocks and forgot I even had an account on tsr! I ended up applying to ucl and kcl, got kcl got rejected by ucl

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending