The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Motorbiker
I think shawshank might win though since it's a hppier film. It's easier to watch, it's less serious and it has a nice tidy ending etc. Godfather is a better film but often in competitions like this people will pick their personal favourite.

It's up to a 2 vote lead for shawshank now. :colonhash:

Yeah - that's why I both love and hate competitions like this. Love because it's interesting to see how the votes lie. Hate because the better film never wins.:angry:
Original post by Andy98
Yeah - that's why I both love and hate competitions like this. Love because it's interesting to see how the votes lie. Hate because the better film never wins.:angry:

Which films do you reckon is the best out of the final four and what do you think of the final four?

They're not the 4 i would have chosen but i reckon they're pretty good.
Reply 22
Which films do you reckon is the best out of the final four and what do you think of the final four?

They're not the 4 i would have chosen but i reckon they're pretty good.

They're all pretty good - I reckon it should be between ROTK and Godfather.
Original post by Andy98
They're all pretty good - I reckon it should be between ROTK and Godfather.

Interesting. I'd have put it between TDK and Godfather personally. And then see if the modern film or the classic wins. Will be interesting.

Also, i've decided right now i'm going to make a poll for the third place run off as well. :holmes:

And i think i will leave the final polls up for a week instead of 3 days since when i did 6 days during an earlier roudn the votes/comments kept coming in.
Reply 24
Interesting. I'd have put it between TDK and Godfather personally. And then see if the modern film or the classic wins. Will be interesting.

Also, i've decided right now i'm going to make a poll for the third place run off as well. :holmes:

And i think i will leave the final polls up for a week instead of 3 days since when i did 6 days during an earlier roudn the votes/comments kept coming in.

Yeah. That's a good shout.
Original post by Andy98
Yeah. That's a good shout.

It's not in the prediction contest i ran but why not, Seems like fun.

And the longer the better for the final vote. Want it sorted before results day but other than that the day can move a bit. :smile:
Reply 26
It's not in the prediction contest i ran but why not, Seems like fun.

And the longer the better for the final vote. Want it sorted before results day but other than that the day can move a bit. :smile:

Yeah - should do another one like this for the science fictions.
Shawshank. I really really want to appreciate the Godfather and I can understand why others love it, but I just don't think it's my cup of tea at all. Nonetheless, going to watch it again and really pay attention!
Original post by Andy98

Which films would you include? We had some Sci-Fis in this comp but they get knocked out fast...

Original post by hollieeilloh
Shawshank. I really really want to appreciate the Godfather and I can understand why others love it, but I just don't think it's my cup of tea at all. Nonetheless, going to watch it again and really pay attention!

Good plan. I have rewatched about 10 films since the start of the comp and watched a few more as well.

Really enjoyed it. :h:
Reply 29
Which films would you include? We had some Sci-Fis in this comp but they get knocked out fast...

All the big ones.
Original post by Andy98
All the big ones.

Such as?
Star Wars ep V?
2001 A space odyssy?

These were in and knocked out. :frown:
Reply 31
Such as?
Star Wars ep V?
2001 A space odyssy?

These were in and knocked out. :frown:

I'd have each series of Star Trek, each trilogy of Star Wars (some people may vote for I, II, III due to Jar Jar), Space Odyssey, Hitchikers Guide, John Carter (bit of a dark horse I reckon), Battlestar, and some others (I can't think of any of the top of my head).
Original post by Andy98
I'd have each series of Star Trek, each trilogy of Star Wars (some people may vote for I, II, III due to Jar Jar), Space Odyssey, Hitchikers Guide, John Carter (bit of a dark horse I reckon), Battlestar, and some others (I can't think of any of the top of my head).

Aside from the original Star Wars trilogy, none of those were as good as Blade Runner IMO. 5th Element should be in that list too.

RE: Godfather/Shawshank.
I liked both, and although Shawshank is more watchable due to it not being nigh on 3 hours long, The Godfather tells a more epic story. So Godfather gets my vote, which gives it the lead by 1 point :colone:
Reply 33
Original post by Drunk Punx
Aside from the original Star Wars trilogy, none of those were as good as Blade Runner IMO. 5th Element should be in that list too.

Of course! How could I forget those?
Original post by Drunk Punx

RE: Godfather/Shawshank.
I liked both, and although Shawshank is more watchable due to it not being nigh on 3 hours long, The Godfather tells a more epic story. So Godfather gets my vote, which gives it the lead by 1 point :colone:

Blade runner Was in this comp. :five:

Another early victim. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98

Included in this competition ...
Empire Strikes Back
The Matrix
Terminator 2
Blade Runner
Avengers Assemble
Back to the Future
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Alien
Aliens
Inception
WALL.E
plus LOTR: ROTK and Pan's Labyrinth

I think SF (and fantasy) has had pretty good representation on here.
Voted Godfather. Disappointed to see Shawshank in the lead. It's a decent film but nothing particularly special.
Original post by e aí rapaz
Voted Godfather. Disappointed to see Shawshank in the lead. It's a decent film but nothing particularly special.

Perhaps a little harsh, but I take the point. IMO Shawshank is a very good film, however I have voted against it more often than not in this competition.

IMO the three films that punched above their weight on here have been:
Shawshank
The Lion King
Forrest Gump
Reply 38
Original post by just a dad
Included in this competition ...
Empire Strikes Back
The Matrix
Terminator 2
Blade Runner
Avengers Assemble
Back to the Future
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Alien
Aliens
Inception
WALL.E
plus LOTR: ROTK and Pan's Labyrinth

I think SF (and fantasy) has had pretty good representation on here.

I know - it's just I don't think SFs are as popular as the other genres, so I'm curious as to what people vote as best SF
Original post by Andy98
I know - it's just I don't think SFs are as popular as the other genres, so I'm curious as to what people vote as best SF

Well, The Matrix and Inception both accumulated plenty of votes prior to only just being edged out, although one is clearly more SF than the other.

Latest