The Student Room Group

Sunday Paper's have lied about Grade Boundary Changes

So I come across this and well it has narrowed down all hope for me..

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/aug/07/a-level-and-gcse-exam-grades-will-not-be-fiddled-ofqual

At least now I know I'm not fed on false hope. Grade Boundaries will not be fiddled by to hide the results and changes that has been made this year. Good luck to both A Level and GCSE students (like myself)!
Reply 1
That doesn't mean we're in safe hands. I'm pretty sure that's a euphemism for "worse than last year".
Reply 2
Original post by juliam
That doesn't mean we're in safe hands. I'm pretty sure that's a euphemism for "worse than last year".

Hence why I have said "this has narrowed down all hope for me" D;

But yes that's true, hopefully we do good still. Oh and the Sunday Papers regarding the grade Boundaries brought hope to some people as it mentioned that they will be much lower than previous years- unfortunately that's said not to be false.
I actually just hate the exam boards and government. I would literally give everything I owned and had to watch them ALL retake their GCSEs in the courses with the tightest boundaries and the same with A-Levels. It's just wrong.
I think you've got the wrong idea, it means that we're going to get lower grade boundaries.
Reply 5
Original post by JayJay-C19
I actually just hate the exam boards and government. I would literally give everything I owned and had to watch them ALL retake their GCSEs in the courses with the tightest boundaries and the same with A-Levels. It's just wrong.

Exactly D; but what can we do ey:frown: Just prove them that our intelligence is still above theirs xD
Reply 6
Original post by Dilzo999
I think you've got the wrong idea, it means that we're going to get lower grade boundaries.

No it doesn't, we don't yet know the grade boundaries but alot of people have mentioned that this years exam was surprisingly easier than previous years (depending on the board). But I heard that this paper is giving false hope to people and is a lie :O http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Education/article1442312.ece
Original post by AtifaC
So I come across this and well it has narrowed down all hope for me..

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/aug/07/a-level-and-gcse-exam-grades-will-not-be-fiddled-ofqual

At least now I know I'm not fed on false hope. Grade Boundaries will not be fiddled by to hide the results and changes that has been made this year. Good luck to both A Level and GCSE students (like myself)!

I read that article too and you have hot the wrong end of the stick, she's saying the grade boundaries will not be 'fiddled' she's not saying the grade boundaries will not go up or down. When she says fiddled she means that they are not going to lower the grade boundaries for no apparent reason just because the exam system has changed, she then went on to stay that
'Standards would be held steady so students will not be advantaged or disadvantaged from these changes' which means as usual grade boundaries will change in accordance to student performance. If you read the Sunday times the examiner insider said the grade boundaries will be fiddled with because of the changes to the exam system, he didn't say the grade boundaries would be changed because of student performance therefore she is trying to make it clear they can not just change grade boundaries based on changes to exam systems instead they must be changed by looking at students overall performances. As for you saying exams being easier this year, I don't know where you got that from my school year is 300 people alone and the majority found the maths paper much harder than last years.
Reply 8
Original post by Student2122
I read that article too and you have hot the wrong end of the stick, she's saying the grade boundries will not be 'fiddled' she's not saying the grade boundaries will not go up or down. When she says fiddled she means that they are not going to lower the grade boundaries for no apparent reason just because the exam system has changed, she then went on to stay that
'Standards would be held steady so students will not be advantaged or disadvantaged from these changes' which means as usual grade boundaries will change in accordance to student performance. If you read the Sunday times the examiner insider said the grade boundaries will be fiddled with because of the changes to the exam system, he didn't say the grade boundaries would be changed because of student performance therefore she is trying to make it clear they can not just change grade boundaries based on changes to exam systems instead they must be changed by looking at students overall performances. As for you saying exams being easier this year, I don't know where you got that from my school year is 300 people alone and the majority found the maths paper much harder than last years.

Oh right my bad :colondollar: thanks for the explanation though :') & yes most people in my school and area found the Edexcel Maths paper extremely easy D; I'm just worried because I found it hard 😂 & oh is it?:O
Reply 9
Guardian could lie, Sunday times could lie, guardian could be telling the truth, sunday times could lie, or the opposite.
Original post by Yousf
Guardian could lie, Sunday times could lie, guardian could be telling the truth, sunday times could lie, or the opposite.

Ahhh it doesn't matter any more if I'm honest :tongue: 7 days left for that...
Reply 11
Original post by Angelo12231
Ahhh it doesn't matter any more if I'm honest :tongue: 7 days left for that...

Where did the summer holidays go...
Original post by Yousf
Where did the summer holidays go...

I know bro... I know :frown:
Original post by AtifaC
Oh right my bad :colondollar: thanks for the explanation though :') & yes most people in my school and area found the Edexcel Maths paper extremely easy D; I'm just worried because I found it hard 😂 & oh is it?:O

Haha no worries, and yeah don't worry about it, it's true my school has like 2000 students, 300 in my school year, and I can tell you the majority found it more difficult than last years. Most couldn't do the A* questions correctly, and the questions like the 5 mark driveway question caught a lot of people out for not converting the 6cm, same with the driving home from work, I think people realised how badly they done after going through the the mark scheme and realising how many silly mistakes they made, that was certainly the case with me and others at my school :/ on the whole grade boundaries will probably be lower :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest