The Student Room Group

A-Level Further Maths 2023 Grade boundaries

Any predictions for what the grade boundaries will look like?

Across all the modules they are roughly the same only differing by a maximum of 5-10 marks, I need an A but with 2019 grade boundaries I’m worried i’ll barely miss it. Any ideas of what people think they’ll look like?

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by zaddz
Any predictions for what the grade boundaries will look like?

Across all the modules they are roughly the same only differing by a maximum of 5-10 marks, I need an A but with 2019 grade boundaries I’m worried i’ll barely miss it. Any ideas of what people think they’ll look like?

What are they generally for an A* and A?

I’ve checked and once I saw that to get an A* you can only lose 10 marks which seems so bizarre its put me off checking again and being demoralised. Maybe I’m checking the wrong thing?
Reply 3
From what I know for edexcel for the A* you can lose at max 60 marks and for the A it’s around 100 for the absolute max but that was in 2019 and to be honest with you, for me at least this years paper were wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy harder than 2019 for sure
Reply 4
Original post by zaddz
From what I know for edexcel for the A* you can lose at max 60 marks and for the A it’s around 100 for the absolute max but that was in 2019 and to be honest with you, for me at least this years paper were wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy harder than 2019 for sure

Hopefully it’s along the same lines.

250/300 was the highest to get an A* in 2022 but should be looking more like 2019. We’ll see and hope you did well!
I need A* to get into my firm and I think I got 230-240, hopefully it's enough for an A* this year.
Reply 6
You did great man hopefully you get into your firm. I honestly don’t know how badly I’ve performed but I’m worried I won’t even get into my insurance which I need an A in FM for

Original post by Labradoodle1
I need A* to get into my firm and I think I got 230-240, hopefully it's enough for an A* this year.
Original post by zaddz
You did great man hopefully you get into your firm. I honestly don’t know how badly I’ve performed but I’m worried I won’t even get into my insurance which I need an A in FM for

Thanks, honestly although no one can say for sure I think boundaries will be lower than 2019
Reply 8
Original post by Labradoodle1

same my worst case is 230 best case like 242
Original post by zaddz

Hmmmm dunno where u got 60 from. For my module u need 231/2 out of 300 which is around 70 marks off. Unfortunatley, i think i got between 220 and 225 this year...if grade boundaries decrease by nearly 10 marks i might get an a star but i dont feel i have high chances of that tbh
Original post by Dhruv05
same my worst case is 230 best case like 242

Which module is it? As in 3a, b ,c, 4a,b c?
is there any chance for grade boundaries to fall from 242 to 230 - 235 (ish) this year? 242 was 2019 FP1 FM1 GBs, anyone think a ~5% decrease in boundaries is a plausible cope?
Original post by based TTMo1
is there any chance for grade boundaries to fall from 242 to 230 - 235 (ish) this year? 242 was 2019 FP1 FM1 GBs, anyone think a ~5% decrease in boundaries is a plausible cope?

I do 3C and 3D for my modules, and with how hard CP1 was, FM1 was still a more difficult paper and FD1 was standard compared to other years, so surely the boundaries will have to be lower than 2019/22
I reckon they’ll be in between 2019 and 2021 boundaries
Original post by mwhelan727
I do 3C and 3D for my modules, and with how hard CP1 was, FM1 was still a more difficult paper and FD1 was standard compared to other years, so surely the boundaries will have to be lower than 2019/22
I reckon they’ll be in between 2019 and 2021 boundaries

I do 3c and 3d as well....but its so tricky to predict cos it was 231 and 232 fkr 2019 and 2022.....so basically yhe same thing. Im praying they decrease by beteeen 5 and 10 marks cos that paper 1 was horror...and mechanics lowkey. Also ppl r saying that 2020 and 2021 grade boundaries dont count cod they're from resitters
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by based TTMo1

bear in mind the A* proportion will decrease from 38% in 2022 to about 23%-25% this year, so that will mean the 2022 boundaries would have been a fair amount higher had the same papers been sat with the same student performance in 2019. (basically cutting out the bottom 40% of the 2022 A*) then you have to factor differences in paper difficulty (I gather harder) and the fact that students would have been better prepared for the new spec in 2023 than 2019. (2019 was first sitting of new spec) Since you have factors pulling things both ways it then becomes very very hard to predict anything.
(edited 8 months ago)
When r grade boundaries posted?
Original post by Askingissuccess
When r grade boundaries posted?

8am results day
Original post by Askingissuccess
I do 3c and 3d as well....but its so tricky to predict cos it was 231 and 232 fkr 2019 and 2022.....so basically yhe same thing. Im praying they decrease by beteeen 5 and 10 marks cos that paper 1 was horror...and mechanics lowkey. Also ppl r saying that 2020 and 2021 grade boundaries dont count cod they're from resitters

Ye I thought the last 3 questions of mechanics was hard, think I’ve got about 49/75. CP1 has messed me up because I’ve got less than 40 on it
Reply 18
Original post by _gcx
bear in mind the A* proportion will decrease from 38% in 2022 to about 23%-25% this year, so that will mean the 2022 boundaries would have been a fair amount higher had the same papers been sat with the same student performance in 2019. (basically cutting out the bottom 40% of the 2022 A*) then you have to factor differences in paper difficulty (I gather harder) and the fact that students would have been better prepared for the new spec in 2023 than 2019. (2019 was first sitting of new spec) Since you have factors pulling things both ways it then becomes very very hard to predict anything.

Well also there was advanced information for 2022, so the combination of easy papers and advanced information could have easily accounted for (even with lenient grade boundaries), the move from an average A* across modules of 236/300 for 2019 to the mid-240s. As for this year, I’d argue our cohort are just as unprepared as the 2019 lot given we never sat GCSEs. In the end I personally think (and hope) the A* will average around early 230s, and for 3A&4A it will be c230 (FP2 was a tough exam tbh).
good luck everyone getting their results.Grade boundaries dont change by that much every year but it defiently depends on how hard the paper was

Quick Reply

Latest