The Student Room Group

Official A-Level English Language Edexcel

I can’t find anyone else doing the edexcel english language a level someone please tell me I’m not alone!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

You’re not alone!!
Reply 2
meee. just did paper 1. how did everyone find it?
Reply 3
Original post by msargent
meee. just did paper 1. how did everyone find it?

I thought it went okay hbu
Reply 4
Original post by Tom04
I thought it went okay hbu

It went ok but not as well as I wanted. For section A I thought text B didn't have like much about it yk. and then for section B the old text was so new and it threw me. i couldn't find a lot of differences 😭
(edited 11 months ago)
It went ok but not as well as I wanted. For section A I thought text B didn't have like much about it yk. and then for section B the old text was so new and it through me. i couldn't find a lot of differences 😭

low-key the old text being from 1896 was like WHATTT I’m glad there was things to write about in terms of descriptivism, aitchison, samuel Johnson’s “lashing of the wind” as language changed, religion and grammar as well as like acronyms and initialisms
Reply 6
Original post by Millie1608
I can’t find anyone else doing the edexcel english language a level someone please tell me I’m not alone!!!!!

i enjoyed it - individual variation was much nicer than language change but didn’t struggle too much with either.
Reply 7
what do you guys think the grade boundaries will be? similar to 2019?
Reply 8
what do you guys think the grade boundaries will be? similar to 2019?

that’s the prediction yes, i do know quite a few struggled with language change though because the older source was so modern so - who knows
Reply 9
Original post by vermiIIi0n
that’s the prediction yes, i do know quite a few struggled with language change though because the older source was so modern so - who knows

okk, cool. im praying for lower grade boundaries 😭. what were you guys getting in like practise essay etc because im also so worried that like my teacher was marking different compared to actual examiners.
okk, cool. im praying for lower grade boundaries 😭. what were you guys getting in like practise essay etc because im also so worried that like my teacher was marking different compared to actual examiners.

honestly we started language change so late so i didn’t really progress much - my last practice was an A. and for individual variation i’ve been consistent with A and getting some A* dependent on the sources.

i was relatively confident until i watched the speech transcribed in Text B for IV wasn’t just the speaker slipping into a covertly prestigious accent through comfort - she was mocking someone else’s accent 😭😭😭 so half of my third paragraph is void because the source wasn’t clear 😭
Original post by Millie1608

how are you all revising for paper 3? i know CLA is first but i’m confident there - paper 3 i don’t know where to even start.
Reply 12
how are you all revising for paper 3? i know CLA is first but i’m confident there - paper 3 i don’t know where to even start.

which sub-topic are you doing? i'm doing crime fiction and i'm basically just going to memorise by quotes and what i can say about them/how they link to theory. i'm struggling with paper 2 especially written (praying it will be spoken in the exam), how do you revise for paper 2 and how to you get like 30+ marks?
Reply 13
honestly we started language change so late so i didn’t really progress much - my last practice was an A. and for individual variation i’ve been consistent with A and getting some A* dependent on the sources.

i was relatively confident until i watched the speech transcribed in Text B for IV wasn’t just the speaker slipping into a covertly prestigious accent through comfort - she was mocking someone else’s accent 😭😭😭 so half of my third paragraph is void because the source wasn’t clear 😭

okk well i think if you were consistently getting A/A* you should be fine. what was that out of 30? 18+?
also, yea i noticed in the exam that she was like speaking as someone else but for some reason didn't comment on it. i wrote that she did have covert prestige because at one point she does use glottal stop when just talking so hopefully your paragraph still gets credit.
okk well i think if you were consistently getting A/A* you should be fine. what was that out of 30? 18+?
also, yea i noticed in the exam that she was like speaking as someone else but for some reason didn't comment on it. i wrote that she did have covert prestige because at one point she does use glottal stop when just talking so hopefully your paragraph still gets credit.

yes! i went to say that but didn’t want to say glottal stop and it be the wrong term - should’ve stuck with my gut. one of my examples should be okay - when she h-dropped in ‘he’ but ‘sunday’ being me commenting on her saying ‘sundi’ will possible be a little rough for my marks. i think i should be okay as i didn’t delve into direct detail / they just supported my point. just wish there was some great indication that this wasn’t just her speaking usually but oh well lol.

and yes - A is often 18/19 and A* 20/21 - lol thx edexcel for such lovely boundaries <33 🙄
(edited 11 months ago)
which sub-topic are you doing? i'm doing crime fiction and i'm basically just going to memorise by quotes and what i can say about them/how they link to theory. i'm struggling with paper 2 especially written (praying it will be spoken in the exam), how do you revise for paper 2 and how to you get like 30+ marks?

i’m also doing crime fiction and it’s actually making me lose hair - my teacher is completely useless lol - but yeah no i’m going similarly to you with my revision technique. just so much to remember 😔

and for paper 2 - your keys for higher levels are tentative language - speculate why things are happening, it allows you to be be evaluative, a top band skill.

again to be evaluative, interact with theories yes - but don’t be afraid to refute them.
a child showing signs of no longer being egocentric earlier than 7 years old - then talk about it defying Piaget’s cognitive.
sight words such as ‘was’ and other irregular verb forms can be used to refute Chomsky when the child is using them correctly at a young age. we would expect to see a virtuous error but we it isn’t present - why is this?

trace patterns through the sources - if it’s multiple children, what is one doing that others aren’t - why? is this a concern? is this what we should expect for their age and stage of language development?

interact with the concept of purpose beyond what is theory such as Rothery and Britton. this is easier to discuss in spoken but why is a child using such language or a given structure? how does this develop or hinder the interaction.

im also significantly poorer at written but i have had a response to written sources marked and given level 5 if you’d like to see it? i’m pretty sure it was for last years paper.

i also have a spoken 39/45 for spoken if you’d like to see - both written under exam conditions so should hopefully reflect my real exams 🤞
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 16
yes! i went to say that but didn’t want to say glottal stop and it be the wrong term - should’ve stuck with my gut. one of my examples should be okay - when she h-dropped in ‘he’ but ‘sunday’ being me commenting on her saying ‘sundi’ will possible be a little rough for my marks. i think i should be okay as i didn’t delve into direct detail / they just supported my point. just wish there was some great indication that this wasn’t just her speaking usually but oh well lol.

and yes - A is often 18/19 and A* 20/21 - lol thx edexcel for such lovely boundaries <33 🙄

yea it was annoying that it wasn't very clear as i'm sure a lot of other students made that mistake aswell so hopefully they wont be too harsh on that.
and yea - love edexcel for the low grade boundaries but also i have never seen a script that's gotten 26+, is it even possible???
Reply 17
i’m also doing crime fiction and it’s actually making me lose hair - my teacher is completely useless lol - but yeah no i’m going similarly to you with my revision technique. just so much to remember 😔

and for paper 2 - your keys for higher levels are tentative language - speculate why things are happening, it allows you to be be evaluative, a top band skill.

again to be evaluative, interact with theories yes - but don’t be afraid to refute them.
a child showing signs of no longer being egocentric earlier than 7 years old - then talk about it defying Piaget’s cognitive.
sight words such as ‘was’ and other irregular verb forms can be used to refute Chomsky when the child is using them correctly at a young age. we would expect to see a virtuous error but we it isn’t present - why is this?

trace patterns through the sources - if it’s multiple children, what is one doing that others aren’t - why? is this a concern? is this what we should expect for their age and stage of language development?

interact with the concept of purpose beyond what is theory such as Rothery and Britton. this is easier to discuss in spoken but why is a child using such language or a given structure? how does this develop or hinder the interaction.

im also significantly poorer at written but i have had a response to written sources marked and given level 5 if you’d like to see it? i’m pretty sure it was for last years paper.

i also have a spoken 39/45 for spoken if you’d like to see - both written under exam conditions so should hopefully reflect my real exams 🤞

omgggg thank you. this is super super helpful genuinely.
how on earth did you get 39?? that's amazing. the most i've gotten is 28😭. so yes please if you could send both that would be so so amazing. THANK YOU!!
yea it was annoying that it wasn't very clear as i'm sure a lot of other students made that mistake aswell so hopefully they wont be too harsh on that.
and yea - love edexcel for the low grade boundaries but also i have never seen a script that's gotten 26+, is it even possible???

truly foul - i’ve had a 25 and that’s only because i slaved over it 😭 such little difference marks wise between a C and A*
omgggg thank you. this is super super helpful genuinely.
how on earth did you get 39?? that's amazing. the most i've gotten is 28😭. so yes please if you could send both that would be so so amazing. THANK YOU!!

no troubles! if you wanted to add me on instagram - @lopsidedleah - i’ll send them to you.
my written response is typed and the spoken on paper so i’ll send you an a link and some photos.

honestly no idea how i managed 39 but spoken is just so much easier for me to interact with in terms of a high level response.

Quick Reply

Latest