This poll is closed

How did the exam go?

Great 23%
Quite Well 44%
Not So Good 27%
Terribly6%
Total votes: 64
Level 2 Further Maths 2023 Paper 2

Further maths is over :h: ! Well done to all for getting through it :biggrin:. How do you think it went? Feel free to discuss grade, boundaries, average feelings, summer plans!

Spoiler

(edited 10 months ago)
finally it’s all over!

i found it really easy, was sitting doing nothing for about half an hour as i was already done lol
Reply 2
i dont know how to feel about it haha. much better than paper 1 but still hard and am very scared of missing a grade 7 by a few marks
Reply 3
Original post by illegallylexi
finally it’s all over!

i found it really easy, was sitting doing nothing for about half an hour as i was already done lol

That's great haha, better that than the other way round! So nice to think that GCSEs are finished this year, I agree - time for a well earned rest :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by loonatic
i dont know how to feel about it haha. much better than paper 1 but still hard and am very scared of missing a grade 7 by a few marks

Yep, it's so hard to know how you've done, too - until results, it's really impossible to say isn't it. I hope you get the grade you want! Try not to worry about it for the time being and relax in the summer is my advice - definitely deserved. Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 5
After a quick research, for any interested (I would post this on the official chat but I've lost it haha), grade boundaries are definitely still supposed to be lower than pre-lockdown levels, due to the loss of learning.

Notably however, we've seen the change in FM Spec, since 2020, so it's hard to compare with the results before: e.g. for a 9 in paper two we were looking at ~84% of the marks in 2019, and in 2022 we were ~86%, which was actually higher: I believe the older papers were more difficult, and obviously had more marks anyway.

But, taking into account, as someone on the official chat said, the advance information for 2022, and the fact that we didn't have any this year, I think it's possibly safe to say grade boundaries will stay near to 2022 levels: a few people have suggested maybe a 3 mark leeway? I highly doubt they can be much higher, at least for paper 2, being 70/80 last year for a 9. There was notably a large difference in grade boundaries for paper 1 and paper 2, in 2022, but not in 2021. A lot of people have said that they found one paper harder, so I think we'll be looking at some difference this year.

In short, I think it would be safe to say that grade boundaries will be averaging 2022 levels. Obviously this is just an educated guess - feel free to discuss! Interested to see if anyone has any ideas about things that might impact the boundaries - we'll keep an eye on the poll, too, which is doing well: especially ideas of which paper you found harder this year.

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by {Moss}
I think it's possibly safe to say grade boundaries will stay near to 2022 levels: a few people have suggested maybe a 3 mark leeway? I highly doubt they can be much higher, at least for paper 2, being 70/80 last year for a 9.

I've been involved with maths education for over 10 years and one thing is always true : whenever students or teachers claim they know what the grade boundaries will look like they are more often than not completely wrong, especially over the last few years.

Predicting grade boundaries is an impossible task.
Reply 7
Original post by Notnek
I've been involved with maths education for over 10 years and one thing is always true : whenever students or teachers claim they know what the grade boundaries will look like they are more often than not completely wrong, especially over the last few years.

Predicting grade boundaries is an impossible task.

Fun to guess though :smile:. It's interesting to see what people's ideas are, especially considering Further Maths gives grade boundaries for Paper 1 and Paper 2 (though using combined for the actual result), so you can take that into account. Definitely there's never a correct answer, just lucky guesses haha, thanks for clearing that up: my apologies, I should have mentioned the complete guesswork of it in the original post. Happy mathematics!
Reply 8
Original post by {Moss}
Fun to guess though :smile:.

Yes which is why I make threads like this :smile:

Sorry if my last post sounded rude at all. I posted it just after seeing yet another popular teacher on social media claiming they know what grade boundaries will look like when they really have no idea, and stressing out thousands of students. Of course there's nothing wrong with trying to make predictions on TSR.
Reply 9
Original post by Notnek
Yes which is why I make threads like this :smile:

Sorry if my last post sounded rude at all. I posted it just after seeing yet another popular teacher on social media claiming they know what grade boundaries will look like when they really have no idea, and stressing out thousands of students. Of course there's nothing wrong with trying to make predictions on TSR.

Ah that's great, I'll have to check that out! Not rude at all, I completely understand how annoying it can be with things like that: it's stressful enough anyway for students without going on false predictions that are put across as completely right - as you said earlier, especially within the last few years, grade boundaries have been going in completely unpredictable ways haha, and it's really unfair to do that and stress out any students. Thanks so much for the thread link and clear-up, that's very kind of you :smile:. Best wishes!
Original post by illegallylexi
finally it’s all over!

If you found it 'really easy', you probably got some of the questions wrong.
I'm interested to know what you got for the last question, as that is what would have caught most people off guard. If you got that one right, then fair enough.
Original post by NoobyBlockington
If you found it 'really easy', you probably got some of the questions wrong.
I'm interested to know what you got for the last question, as that is what would have caught most people off guard. If you got that one right, then fair enough.

do separate calculations for numbers beginning with 8, and beginning with 7/9

Quick Reply

Latest