The Student Room Group

grade boundaries?!?!

Hi guys slightly stressing pahahaha how do y’all think grade boundaries will be this year? The same as 2019?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anon-.-
Hi guys slightly stressing pahahaha how do y’all think grade boundaries will be this year? The same as 2019?

Not the same as 2019, but likely similar.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia

So it could be higher/lower than 2019? Ah shoot I need it to be lower 💀
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
is it gonna be lower or hgiher tho that's the thing:frown:
Original post by DataVenia
Original post by anon-.-

You won't know them until results day as usual.
Reply 5
Original post by anon-.-

Really depends on how hard the paper was/how this cohort performed, they will differ per subject so I'd judge it by how the people around u found the exam versus the difficulty of the 2019 papers if you want to guesstimate boundaries.
Original post by anon-.-

If they would be lower, it would most likely be 1-3 marks lower. Not significantly lower but it really depends.
I think that due to disruption students have faced because of COVID, if the difficulty of papers was identical to 2019 grade boundaries would be lower (as we have been assured that grade distributions this year will be the same as 2019). That said, difficulty is subjective and mark schemes are often unpredictable and so for each individual subject it's almost impossible to guess!!
(edited 10 months ago)
The proportion of people getting each grade will be similar to 2019, not the boundaries themselves.
Reply 9
Original post by jdjdhjdsl
If they would be lower, it would most likely be 1-3 marks lower. Not significantly lower but it really depends.

Original post by arialle
Really depends on how hard the paper was/how this cohort performed, they will differ per subject so I'd judge it by how the people around u found the exam versus the difficulty of the 2019 papers if you want to guesstimate boundaries.

Ofqual said that like if someone took an a level geo paper their performance would be the same as a pre pandemic level (eg get an A both now and pre pandemic) with slight leniency so basc 1/2 marks lower?? I think they’ll be lower than 2019 by a mark or two
Original post by anon-.-
Ofqual said that like if someone took an a level geo paper their performance would be the same as a pre pandemic level (eg get an A both now and pre pandemic) with slight leniency so basc 1/2 marks lower?? I think they’ll be lower than 2019 by a mark or two

It doesn't work like this, the difficulty of the papers themselves varies a lot.
Reply 11
Original post by Labradoodle1
It doesn't work like this, the difficulty of the papers themselves varies a lot.

Wdym? I thought the statement meant that like, it’s returning to pre pandemic lvl grade boundaries with some protection/leniency
Original post by anon-.-
Wdym? I thought the statement meant that like, it’s returning to pre pandemic lvl grade boundaries with some protection/leniency

It's not about returning to pre-pandemic grade boundaries, it's the proportion of people getting each grade that is returning to pre-pandemic levels. For example if for a given subject in 2019, 200/300 was needed for A* and 15% of students got an A*, you can expect roughly 15% of students to get an A* this year. However, this does not mean the marks for the A* boundary will be similar. If the papers were easier this year than in 2019 for example, you could need 220/300 for an A* this year for example (with still the same percentage of students getting A* as 2019).
Original post by anon-.-

They will be what they will be. After all, they take into account how well performed the papers were by the cohort as a whole, so there is absolutely no point praying for low grade boundaries or dreading high grade boundaries.

In all probability, they will (mostly) be similar to the 2019 grade boundaries, but that estimate should be taken with a pinch of salt given how variable the cohort’s performances are each year.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by anon-.-

It's the grade distributions that will return to the way they were in 2019 (ie the proportion of people achieving each grade). Grade boundaries depend on the difficulty of the paper. An example:
say for a given A-level, 5% of students got an A* in 2019
this percentage would have increased for 2020, 2021 and 2022 because teacher assessed grades were overly generous and allowances made to 2022 candidates
exam boards have decided grade proportions will return to what they were in 2019 this year, so in 2023 5% of people will get an A*
if the 2019 papers were harder, the top 5% of candidates may have all scored 85% and above in 2019 but in 2023 the top 5% of candidates may have scored 90% and above
were that the case, the grade boundary for an A* would be 85% in 2019 and 90% in 2023, but in both years the same proportion of students will get an A*
Original post by apolaroidofus
It's the grade distributions that will return to the way they were in 2019 (ie the proportion of people achieving each grade). Grade boundaries depend on the difficulty of the paper. An example:
say for a given A-level, 5% of students got an A* in 2019
this percentage would have increased for 2020, 2021 and 2022 because teacher assessed grades were overly generous and allowances made to 2022 candidates
exam boards have decided grade proportions will return to what they were in 2019 this year, so in 2023 5% of people will get an A*
if the 2019 papers were harder, the top 5% of candidates may have all scored 85% and above in 2019 but in 2023 the top 5% of candidates may have scored 90% and above
were that the case, the grade boundary for an A* would be 85% in 2019 and 90% in 2023, but in both years the same proportion of students will get an A*

Yep, this is what I was trying to say but I think you worded it better than me haha
Original post by Labradoodle1
Yep, this is what I was trying to say but I think you worded it better than me haha

ahahha omg just realised we literally said exactly the same thing how funny
Reply 17
lord I’m stressing so hard MAN I need my grades 💀
Original post by anon-.-

I've heard that the 2023 summer grade boundaries will be slightly higher than the 2019 summer grade boundaries. But, looking at how they were changed for COVID, I doubt they would have significant changed, perhaps 5ish mark high this year than 2019.
Original post by Vyshto Andeddu
I've heard that the 2023 summer grade boundaries will be slightly higher than the 2019 summer grade boundaries. But, looking at how they were changed for COVID, I doubt they would have significant changed, perhaps 5ish mark high this year than 2019.

Where have you heard this? It varies massively depending on subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest