The Student Room Group

How many marks to pass maths?

How many marks per paper should we get to pass gcse Maths. I know the final grade is taken from all the papers together.
Original post by HotaruWalkthr
How many marks per paper should we get to pass gcse Maths. I know the final grade is taken from all the papers together.

a) That would depend on the exam board.
b) That would depend on whether you're doing Foundation Tier or Higher Tier.
c) As you say, the grade is for all papers together, so a high mark in one can compensate for a low mark in another.
d) If you mean for exams which are being taken now, then the grade boundaries won't be set until after all the papers have been marked. (Although grade boundaries for prior years can sometimes be indicative.)
Original post by HotaruWalkthr

It varies year on year. It has been announced grade boundaries will be similar to pre-covid (2019) in sense of difficulty, only slightly easier to get the very top grades however this is really subject to change. Bear in mind the numbers change year on year.

It also varies by exam board: I've included numbers from Edexcel below, so if your examining organisation (school or otherwise) don't use that exam board, you'll need to check elsewhere.

For Edexcel Maths Higher in 2019 you needed 43 marks (15%) in total across all three papers to pass. This would be just 15 marks per paper.

For Edexcel Maths Foundation in 2019, you needed 142 marks (50%) across all three papers to pass, but the papers should have been easier. This would be 48 marks per paper. Note: The maximum grade for Foundation is a 5.

All three papers add up to a total of 280 marks.
Source for Edexcel 2019 boundaries

Good luck!
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest