The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hmmm there are a few, a lot of them are up "STEEP HILL" mwahahaha lots of restaurants up there.
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
lol, I spent the whole summer holiday walking up a steep hill everyday so hopefully this would be ok. Will have to check it out before I look for a job up there.
Reply 3
Theres a Pizza Hut across the road from the uni that i used to work at, theyre normally looking to take on new students and about 3/4 of the waiters/resses there are uni students. Theres good tips as well, sometimes £50 for a good saturday night shift. Steep hill is miles from the university, and not really worth the walk! There are other restaurants in the town centre, like zuchinis (?) near the forum. There should be plenty of jobs, theres always scream/lloyds/ask on the brayford too.
Reply 4
lol it's not called Steep Hill for nothing! There's a rail down one bit to help you up it but there is a shuttle bus thing which leaves from Binns which goes up and down it (don't know how often though never used it). Most locals don't walk up it they just drive to the top by the not-so-steep routes. It's really not that bad as long as you don't do what I did a few weeks back and try it in high heels! All these people were laughing at me :redface: (in my defence we didn't plan to go up there that day) Was a laugh trying to get back down though not recommended unless you want to break your ancle or something! :eek:

Erm...back to question of waitressing, there's a few restaurants in the centre
like Big Wok (which is opposite Park Courts accommodation) ASK (on the Brayford), Nando's (Brayford), Chimchanga (mexican on Brayford), Tootsies (On Brayford), The Barge (On Brayford -though I never see them advertising for staff probably cause it's so small). Touch bar/restaurant and all the other bars that serve food as well.There's a new indian place opening up where Pizza Pan used to be (it's gone bust apparently). There's the Planet Masala place next to the odeon. Jaydee's cafe next to Wilkinson's and I've seen them advertise for staff every now and again (weekend work it usually is). There's bound to be pubs/restaurants (try Pride of Lincoln near Morrisons) who want waitressing staff and that is all I can remember right now but there's probably loads more!
Most of the places I go to more often (Damons, Mill Lodge, Brewsters, Ocean)are outside the city centre and would be difficult for you to get to. My suggestion is to hand your CV to as many bars/restaurants you can find in the first week your there, it'll take a few weeks 'til you would start the job anyway by which time hopefully you'll have settled in.
Wow I've typed way too much, hope it makes sense lol!
Yea I seen the pizza hut on the open day, will ask there especially with the good tips. Thanks
Reply 6
it isnt that far from the uni, and if you want the money then you would be prepared to walk up ... "STEEP HILL". I was just pointing out where a lot of restaurants are anyway :P
Reply 7
It's not that far at all...My mate used to work in a restaurant/hotel up there and she lives near me (i.e. near waddinton/lincoln boundary) and obviously had to walk from the bus station/barbican which is roughly the same distance as the uni to up steep hill.. add to that if you don't catch a bus from town it takes an hour to walk there.
Zucchini's I used to like until I got hair in my food on 2 separate occasions and it put me off...and everyone I know always ends up complaining when they go there.
Seriously there a loads of restaurants so waitressing probably a good idea for a job! :smile:
Reply 8
hey, if i decide to get a job it will most probably b waitressin as i have a lot of experiance in it too, currently workin for my town race course, does lincoln have a race course too? altho i do prefer more fine dining restaurants, i was lookin on the interent for these types of resturants and i found one called the reaturants at the jews house or something like that! anybody know of this restaurant n can tell me anything about it i.e how close to town etc?
Reply 9
less chavies up there aswell!
Reply 10
oh yeah, no race course, not anymore anyway
Reply 11
km68
It's not that far at all...My mate used to work in a restaurant/hotel up there and she lives near me (i.e. near waddinton/lincoln boundary) and obviously had to walk from the bus station/barbican which is roughly the same distance as the uni to up steep hill.. add to that if you don't catch a bus from town it takes an hour to walk there.
Zucchini's I used to like until I got hair in my food on 2 separate occasions and it put me off...and everyone I know always ends up complaining when they go there.
Seriously there a loads of restaurants so waitressing probably a good idea for a job! :smile:

That suprises me very much as everyone I know loves it there !
I love it to and find it great service Know they take on students . c x
Reply 12
Is Zuchinnis like, round nearish the bus station and train station, just down the road from Oxfam?
Reply 13
liamhaynes
Is Zuchinnis like, round nearish the bus station and train station, just down the road from Oxfam?

Its on silver street through the stonebow near the nightclub and opposite Chicago's. Orange Italian place. Think you mean old Don Giovanies which has now been taken over.
Reply 14
Ye, i think i do...

Oh, so, somewhere like, on the mid-hill? Wikid.
Reply 15
I went into Lincoln today, looking for jobs... lots being advertised... but require to be REALLY flexible and to be around over xmas/new year etc :s-smilie:
Yea, I think that is the big problem with jobs in that you need to be flexible.
Reply 17
i got a job today, at tootsies :biggrin: yahhh no more overdraft :s
I got a job in a pub, but it means missing out on my friday and saturday nights :frown:.... don't think I will stick about long!
Reply 19
I need a job.. but want to be home over the xmas hols... which is not what most employers will want lol

Latest