The Student Room Group

Waitress job dodgy?

So I applied for a waitress position at my local restaurant. I know the people who work there very well as I used to dine 3-4 times a week there which is why I think I ended up getting the job.

Anyway I did a trial shift which I was told I'd be paid for (I haven't been paid yet). A week later they told me I got the job and that they wanted me to work Saturday which is today so I said yes however they haven't even made me sign a contract or explained how holidays or breaks work. They don't even have mt bank details to pay me unless it's cash in hand which I'm sure is illegal these days?

As much as I need a job I'm starting to feel like this is quite dodgy
Reply 1
Maybe they will get you do paperwork when you come in. You can always walk away the last minute before you start working for them.
Reply 2
Original post by Faultybot
Maybe they will get you do paperwork when you come in. You can always walk away the last minute before you start working for them.

I really do hope so. If they don't would I still be entitled to be paid for hours I worked as there's no contract in place?
Original post by Leahmitch
I really do hope so. If they don't would I still be entitled to be paid for hours I worked as there's no contract in place?

A contract is established by them offering and you turning up to work. Of course it's preferable to have a paper contract in place, but if it's only a small place, give them a chance, you aren't taking over leadership of an international bank here.

You should be paid for any/all work you've done for them.

As an employee, it is your responsibility to manage yourself and your half of the relationship, you can't sit back and just presume the employer will do everything to your timeline and your satisfaction, so start googling.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
A contract is established by them offering and you turning up to work. Of course it's preferable to have a paper contract in place, but if it's only a small place, give them a chance, you aren't taking over leadership of an international bank here.

You should be paid for any/all work you've done for them.

As an employee, it is your responsibility to manage yourself and your half of the relationship, you can't sit back and just presume the employer will do everything to your timeline and your satisfaction, so start googling.

I have asked them about it and all I get is "..." its like they are annoyed at me asking them the legalities of the position
Original post by Leahmitch
I have asked them about it and all I get is "..." its like they are annoyed at me asking them the legalities of the position

There's nothing illegal about not having a written contract, it's just more complicated if things to get legal - but why would they. If they are going to pay you cash in hand, that's their problem, not yours. The illegality is on their side, not your side. It's a local restaurant, things are likely to be flakey, they are often very marginal businesses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending