The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lepr
Neither particularly informative or interesting. Signs falling down, ill prepared speeches, shoddy seats!

I found the departmental talk particularly poor, was anyone else at the philosophy/philosophy & economics one?

I thought it was really good, the guy was funny and the departmental talk was... honest.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
There were an astonishing amount of asians/indians.
Lepr
There were an astonishing amount of asians/indians.

An astonishing number of Orientals and Indians achieve, or at least are predicted, the grades required to apply to the LSE.
Reply 4
Sanctus
An astonishing number of Orientals and Indians achieve, or at least are predicted, the grades required to apply to the LSE.

Were you there sanctus? If so, where were you sitting in the philosophy talk.
Reply 5
Hi,
I also went today and must admit i left somewhat disappointed. I may have been expecting too much from the school, but there really wasn't anything that made me think 'yeah this is the place for me!' Aside from the library, which was very impressive, the rest of what we were shown seemed to be quite dated. It wasn't the hi-tech college i pictured, i may be wrong as i didnt see everything. What did you guys think?

Sukh.
Reply 6
deianra
I went last year, being a very organised Year 11 (...well, my friend from Cardiff picked me up on her way to LSE and we got the train together). I didn't really like it - the buildings were pretty dingy and the only good things were the lecturers and the amazing library. I wasn't overly impressed...but I suppose the teaching will be excellent.

Also abhorred the acommodation I was shown...

hmm maybe bristol or warwick, but which one!
Reply 7
My experience seems to be the better the university, the less effort they put into their open days. Some of the better universities I've been to (including Oxford) were terribly organised. I particularly remember being shown round some of these universities by students who, bless 'em, didn't really have an awful lot to say about anything!! Other experiences being lecturers not turning up or turning up late, projectors not working, people not knowing what to do with this group of 100 prospective students, etc.

However, one university that I did go to was very impressive. It was well organised, using all mod cons to show us how good the uni was. If I didnt know that that university wasnt very well respected, then I would most probably on the strength of the open day alone put them down as first choice.

I dont know why this is. Maybe its because top unis feel less need to pull out all the stops to impress students as their reputation alone should be enough. Maybe its because the top unis are generally research led, and so spend less time worrying about undergraduates.

Btw, names have been with held to prevent people being offended and whining "that uni isnt well respected" or "how dare you call that uni crap". Well apart from Oxford, but Oxford students probably dont care, and shouldnt care, that the open day was lame!
Reply 8
Lepr
Neither particularly informative or interesting. Signs falling down, ill prepared speeches, shoddy seats!

I found the departmental talk particularly poor, was anyone else at the philosophy/philosophy & economics one?

It was an open day! They are all pretty crap.

Anyways it's not like you get to see everything on the LSE open day anyway. Theres loads of facilities at the halls too but we couldn't see them.

The lecture about london was a waste.
Reply 9
deianra
I went last year, being a very organised Year 11 (...well, my friend from Cardiff picked me up on her way to LSE and we got the train together). I didn't really like it - the buildings were pretty dingy and the only good things were the lecturers and the amazing library. I wasn't overly impressed...but I suppose the teaching will be excellent.

Also abhorred the acommodation I was shown...

now got to decide between bristol and warwick, hmm :smile:
Reply 10
kingslaw
My experience seems to be the better the university, the less effort they put into their open days. Some of the better universities I've been to (including Oxford) were terribly organised. I particularly remember being shown round some of these universities by students who, bless 'em, didn't really have an awful lot to say about anything!! Other experiences being lecturers not turning up or turning up late, projectors not working, people not knowing what to do with this group of 100 prospective students, etc.

However, one university that I did go to was very impressive. It was well organised, using all mod cons to show us how good the uni was. If I didnt know that that university wasnt very well respected, then I would most probably on the strength of the open day alone put them down as first choice.

I dont know why this is. Maybe its because top unis feel less need to pull out all the stops to impress students as their reputation alone should be enough. Maybe its because the top unis are generally research led, and so spend less time worrying about undergraduates.

Btw, names have been with held to prevent people being offended and whining "that uni isnt well respected" or "how dare you call that uni crap". Well apart from Oxford, but Oxford students probably dont care, and shouldnt care, that the open day was lame!

The only open day I went to at Oxford was amazingly organised (they had all these different discussion groups you could go to, with a choice of subject, followed by lunch at a college of your choice, followed by Q&A with admissions tutors, again a choice of about 15-20 colleges). The guy who organised it is such a good bloke...and he's at my college. Looking forward to being taught by him Sooooooooooo much.
Reply 11
hattori

The lecture about london was a waste.

i felt sorry for the guy, he was small and innocent :tongue:
Reply 12
I thought it was very dissappointing too... Definately not gonna put it (maths and eco) down as my firm now, but I might not even put it down as insurance now; imperial (maths) looks better to me for insurance! They didn't "sell" the course well and I asked the dude how many 1st and 2:1s people get for that course and he claimed he didnt know... could just not be saying coz its bad. Also he didnt mention what ratings the dept gets like they did at warwick (MORSE) possibly coz maths dept at lse isnt that good!
Lepr
Were you there sanctus? If so, where were you sitting in the philosophy talk.

No, I wasn't there. I've been to the LSE several times already and looking forward to studying there from October.

How did you find the philosophy department? It's a nice building...
Reply 14
i was the guy in the blue wool hat, dunno if any of you saw me :biggrin:
Reply 15
H&E
The only open day I went to at Oxford was amazingly organised (they had all these different discussion groups you could go to, with a choice of subject, followed by lunch at a college of your choice, followed by Q&A with admissions tutors, again a choice of about 15-20 colleges). The guy who organised it is such a good bloke...and he's at my college. Looking forward to being taught by him Sooooooooooo much.

Maybe they just didnt care about students from scummy, non-selective, northern state schools! We were just given a crappy little map and told to roam Oxford - absolutely nothing more. They actually forgot that we were coming down. Luckily they had many spare rooms!

Probably something to do with the fact that our college has sent about 2 Oxford students in 10 years! One of which was thrown out!
Reply 16
Sanctus
No, I wasn't there. I've been to the LSE several times already and looking forward to studying there from October.

How did you find the philosophy department? It's a nice building...

Didn't get to go to the department, we were just put in a random room and talked to by a lecturer (who was anti-Thatcherite, by the way).

He was disorganised and didn't inspire me at all to study the course.
Lepr
Didn't get to go to the department, we were just put in a random room and talked to by a lecturer (who was anti-Thatcherite, by the way).

He was disorganised and didn't inspire me at all to study the course.

An anti-Thatcherite? Now that will not do. It's amazing that some people still engage in political speeches as if Hayek were never born.
Reply 18
kingslaw
Maybe they just didnt care about students from scummy, non-selective, northern state schools! We were just given a crappy little map and told to roam Oxford - absolutely nothing more. They actually forgot that we were coming down. Luckily they had many spare rooms!

Probably something to do with the fact that our college has sent about 2 Oxford students in 10 years! One of which was thrown out!

This was a general open day, not one for any specific school/group of schools (I never knew those existed...though I suppose it makes sense if you live far away)
Reply 19
Sanctus
An anti-Thatcherite? Now that will not do. It's amazing that some people still engage in political speeches as if Hayek were never born.

An anti-Thatcherite? If Giddens knew he wouldnt be happy. That would be half of his theory pissed on.

Latest

Trending

Trending