The Student Room Group

Enough GCSEs for Oxbridge?

I began year 10 studying for 10 GCSEs (biology, chemistry, English language, English literature, French, geography, history, maths, RS and physics) and I was predicted A*s in all of them.

But, early in year 10 I developed anorexia. I became so ill that I wasn't allowed to go to school for a year. When my doctors did let me go back, It was only on a part time basis so I had to drop two subjects (physics and French).

I had missed over half the lessons, the year 10 exams, the year 11 mocks and wasn't in a great place for revision by the time I took my GCSEs so I was expected to get a string of Cs and a few fails.

But, I got my results yesterday and I have 8A*s! I am very happy because I couldn't have done better, having only sat 8 GCSEs. However, I have heard that some Russell group universities (including Oxford and Cambridge) require you to have 10 GCSEs. Is that true? It was my dream to go to Oxford :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
I've never heard anything about a 10 GCSE requirement. Given your circumstances, and your 100% A* rate, your GCSEs won't hold you back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Izzyd07
I began year 10 studying for 10 GCSEs (biology, chemistry, English language, English literature, French, geography, history, maths and physics) and I was predicted A*s in all of them.

But, early in year 10 I developed anorexia. I became so ill that I wasn't allowed to go to school for a year. When my doctors did let me go back, It was only on a part time basis so I had to drop two subjects (physics and French).

I had missed over half the lessons, the year 10 exams, the year 11 mocks and wasn't in a great place for revision by the time I took my GCSEs so I was expected to get a string of Cs and a few fails.

But, I got my results yesterday and I have 8A*s! I am very happy because I couldn't have done better, having only sat 8 GCSEs. However, I have heard that some Russell group universities (including Oxford and Cambridge) require you to have 10 GCSEs. Is that true? It was my dream to go to Oxford :frown:

Congrats on your great GCSE results!! Don't worry, I heard Oxford only looks at your top 8 GCSEs, and they calculate your percentage A*s from that. I only did 9 anyway when I applied for Cambridge, so it should be fine :smile: What subject are you planning to apply for?
Reply 3
Original post by JamieHo
Congrats on your great GCSE results!! Don't worry, I heard Oxford only looks at your top 8 GCSEs, and they calculate your percentage A*s from that. I only did 9 anyway when I applied for Cambridge, so it should be fine :smile: What subject are you planning to apply for?

thank you :smile: I'm not sure yet but probably either history or English lit. For my AS levels I'm doing: English lit, history, geography and philosophy.

Quick Reply

Latest