The Student Room Group

have my gcses ruined oxbridge chances?

I just got my gcse results and was very disappointed. I got three 9s in history and english lit and lang, two 7s in chemistry and physics and the rest were 8s. I would like to do history at university and it was my dream to go to oxford or cambridge, but from what i’ve seen, the people who go there usually get majority 9s at gcse.
Is there any point in me applying? I know anything is possible, but is it realistic that I have a good chance of getting in, if everything else goes well?
For context, I go to a non-grammar state school, which gets slightly above average results, and will stay there for sixth form.
I would appreciate people being realistic with me, since I’m willing to put a lot of work in for my a levels.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Those are amazing GCSE’s :smile:))

Don’t worry, I’m going to Cambridge from October and I can assure you you don’t need all 9’s ( I don’t have all 9’s either ) you’re gcses are good enough for oxbridge, the vast majority of people I spoke to have similar grades to you and also got into oxbridge :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by eternalwire
I just got my gcse results and was very disappointed. I got three 9s in history and english lit and lang, two 7s in chemistry and physics and the rest were 8s. I would like to do history at university and it was my dream to go to oxford or cambridge, but from what i’ve seen, the people who go there usually get majority 9s at gcse.
Is there any point in me applying? I know anything is possible, but is it realistic that I have a good chance of getting in, if everything else goes well?
For context, I go to a non-grammar state school, which gets slightly above average results, and will stay there for sixth form.
I would appreciate people being realistic with me, since I’m willing to put a lot of work in for my a levels

as saqib186 said, your grades are perfectly fine for oxbridge. oxford tend to accept based on percentage of 9s etc whereas from courses i’ve looked at cambridge don’t really have any specific requirements so maybe look into cambridge but even oxford you should be fine. good luck and congrats on ur GCSEs!!
Reply 3
Those are great GCSEs be proud!

Quick Reply

Latest