The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough for Oxford/Cambridge?

Hello! I’m a GCSE student currently studying in the UK and I am currently predicted:
8 (A) in Biology
6 (B) in physics
8 (A) in chemistry
9 (A*) in history
9 (A*) in English lit
9 (A*) in English lang
8 (A) in Drama
8 (A) in Textiles
7 (A-) in Spanish
8 (A) in maths
9 (A*) in RS
I want to study history/English lit at Oxbridge, does anyone know if these are acceptable grades for Oxford/Cambridge?

(I know GCSE grades are just one aspect considered, but I would like some insight as to whether these grades are lower in general than most successful applicants, and would make my application stand out in a negative way!)
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Jam12345
Hello! I’m a GCSE student currently studying in the UK and I am currently predicted:
8 (A) in Biology
6 (B) in physics
8 (A) in chemistry
9 (A*) in history
9 (A*) in English lit
9 (A*) in English lang
8 (A) in Drama
8 (A) in Textiles
7 (A) in Spanish
9 (A*) in maths
9 (A*) in RS
I want to study history/English lit at Oxbridge, does anyone know if these are acceptable grades for Oxford/Cambridge?

(I know GCSE grades are just one aspect considered, but I would like some insight as to whether these grades are lower in general than most successful applicants, and would make my application stand out in a negative way!)

First of all congratulations on great predicted GCSE grades in so many subjects! As the majority of your grades are A star equivalent, they will not lower your chances of receiving an offer from Oxbridge. Oxbridge take a holistic approach to their applications, meaning every applicants’ GCSE grades, personal statement, teacher references, predicted A-Level grades etc are all put into context based on your school’s performance in the past and other circumstances (such as health or access to resources) that may have affected your learning in any way. Unless you’re applying for a physics degree , those grades are excellent, and will not in any way affect your chances of studying English lit or history! I’d say focus on working hard now to get the highest possible GCSE grades (especially in history and English) you can get, and if they end up being similar to your current predicted grades, go for Oxbridge! Hope this helps, good luck with your GCSES :smile:.
Original post by dogz32
First of all congratulations on great predicted GCSE grades in so many subjects! As the majority of your grades are A star equivalent, they will not lower your chances of receiving an offer from Oxbridge. Oxbridge take a holistic approach to their applications, meaning every applicants’ GCSE grades, personal statement, teacher references, predicted A-Level grades etc are all put into context based on your school’s performance in the past and other circumstances (such as health or access to resources) that may have affected your learning in any way. Unless you’re applying for a physics degree , those grades are excellent, and will not in any way affect your chances of studying English lit or history! I’d say focus on working hard now to get the highest possible GCSE grades (especially in history and English) you can get, and if they end up being similar to your current predicted grades, go for Oxbridge! Hope this helps, good luck with your GCSES :smile:.

Thanks so much, this is really helpful!
you know these are good grades
Original post by anonymous6778589
you know these are good grades

yeah 😭
Original post by username6055417
8 (A) in Biology
6 (B) in physics
8 (A) in chemistry
9 (A*) in history
9 (A*) in English lit
9 (A*) in English lang
8 (A) in Drama
8 (A) in Textiles
7 (A-) in Spanish
8 (A) in maths
9 (A*) in RS

Hi! I'm at Oxford studying languages, and I got 7x7s, 2x8s, and a 9 in my GCSEs if that puts you at ease at all. My 9 was in Spanish so may have shown my interest pre-A Level, but can't confirm. Oxford also considers the average results for your area as someone has mentioned already, so I think you're more than fine tbh. Keep up with the good work!!

Quick Reply

Latest