The Student Room Group

Good analytical ability - poor linguistic devices knowledge. Can I still do well?

--
(edited 8 years ago)
I think it depends on whether you want to study English Language or Literature. Things like assonance and similes are poetry related, so I'm pretty sure that thy come under English language rather than English literature. So, if you don't feel confident to study them, choose the subject that doesn't have as much emphasis on them by doing a little bit of research into the courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
^ I completely agree with LavishLiguist, however knowledge of these techniques could come in handy in literature, especially to put a unique view on an author's work. On the other hand, I would say that maybe just brushing up a little on these things could most likely be more than enough to get you through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to be super specific at A level.

GCSE is like; "The poet uses contrast to xyz. The contrast can be seen here "insert quoute", analyse the language/form/structure. The contrast presents how the poet highlights the inherent power disparity between the genders in 1930s America" End paragrapgh.

A level is an extension of this, but you'kl first write about the theme the poet explores, and then highlight individual literary devices that come under form/lang/structure, debate what that means in itself using alternative interpreations, resolve that debate by referring to the theme of the text it is supposed to symbolise, and show the mechanics of how it supports the theme you've identified. Then, you will compare it to form or structure (say your first one was langauge), and do the same again, but demonstrate the interrelation between the two devices, and the mechanics behind how they convey the theme of the text. So for example, you could compare the stanza type (form) and the punctuation (structure) with language that alludes to slow passing of time to suggest a theme of longevity in a text, by showing how these work together to present the them.

For your next paragraph you might do another poem in the collection (you'll study a collection by one poet, not an anthology) and counter that theme with another poem, doing all the stuff you did in the last one, but also comparing btoh texts, and showing how the former can be interpreted to support you new theme by cross examining.

In your third paragraph you resolve the conflict.

it's much more specific, much more in depth, but with work, you can do it. I started out getting Us, but then once I learned it and put some effort in, I got As.

With a B you can do it, but don't expect to cruise like you can at GCSE. GCSE is very easy in comparison, like most GCSE's to a levels
Original post by LavishLinguist
I think it depends on whether you want to study English Language or Literature. Things like assonance and similes are poetry related, so I'm pretty sure that thy come under English language rather than English literature. So, if you don't feel confident to study them, choose the subject that doesn't have as much emphasis on them by doing a little bit of research into the courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do Lang and have never had to analyse a poem, but my friend who does Lit has... in Lang (on the exam board I'm on at least) we don't look at anything fictional at all.. are you doing Lang? If so, maybe it's different exam boards?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending