The Student Room Group

A* in A level maths and further maths

Hi
I know that minimum of 180 ums across c3 and c4 to get A*
but i heard that the exam boards deliberately put one or two harder question to spit the men from the boys.
i really wanted to get an A* and i have started to work already for next june exams but is there any way to tackle those kind of questions?(resources other than past papers)?
Original post by kabilan13
Hi
but i heard that the exam boards deliberately put one or two harder question to spit the men from the boys.
i really wanted to get an A* and i have started to work already for next june exams but is there any way to tackle those kind of questions?(resources other than past papers)?

try and find patterns. I realised for the C2 papers that in the hard questions, you often need to find a square or triangle shape in the graphs somewhere...not sure about C3 and C4 since I haven't started yet but I would definitely say try and think outside the box and link up different areas of your knowledge. SOme questions will tackle more than one topic even if it might not be obvious at the start.
Original post by kabilan13
Hi

The key to tackling harder questions and gain the A* is to understand the material rather than simply being able to answer questions

It will be useful if you try a variety of questions - not just the ones in the prescribed text - hopefully your teacher will provide a wider range
Original post by lightningdoritos
I realised for the C2 papers that in the hard questions, you often need to find a square or triangle shape in the graphs somewhere.

What do you mean by this?
Original post by MathMeister
What do you mean by this?

He means that one of the most common errors made by students in questions on co-ordinate geometry is that they do not spot the obvious GCSE rules about shape, area in particular
Original post by TenOfThem
He means that one of the most common errors made by students in questions on co-ordinate geometry is that they do not spot the obvious GCSE rules about shape, area in particular

Thanks, I didn't know how to phrase it :smile: But that's exactly what I mean!

Remember your GCSE stuff!
Reply 6
The Solomon Press exam paper series also have lots of hard questions - if you make sure you understand those, you should be able to access all the A* marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest