The Student Room Group

4 - A levels or 3 A levels and a EPQ?

I am currently predicted A*(Maths), A, A and B(Further Maths) and I still have one chance in September to increase my Further Maths grades. I am in a dilemma because I really want to do a Maths degree in a top uni (Which needs Further Maths). So should I trade off and drop an A level subject and do 3 -A levels inc Further Maths and a EPQ or should I keep 4 A levels and not do an EPQ. I don't think I have the bandwidth to do 4 A Levels and a EPQ. Also how important is the EPQ?
Reply 1
Original post by dineshranganath
I am currently predicted A*(Maths), A, A and B(Further Maths) and I still have one chance in September to increase my Further Maths grades. I am in a dilemma because I really want to do a Maths degree in a top uni (Which needs Further Maths). So should I trade off and drop an A level subject and do 3 -A levels inc Further Maths and a EPQ or should I keep 4 A levels and not do an EPQ. I don't think I have the bandwidth to do 4 A Levels and a EPQ. Also how important is the EPQ?

You only need 3 A levels so you could drop the 4th and not do an EPQ.

If you want to take Maths at a top university you need to take 3 subjects included Maths and Further Maths at A level. You might also need to take STEP for a few. Most Maths universities dont require FM or STEP but the likes of Imperial and Durham do.
Reply 3

Other than at Universities that give a lower offer grade for the EPQ, for Maths it doesn't matter. If you have a topic you would like to research, do it, if you are sturggling with that bit, don't. You would be fine with 3 A levels and no EPQ for a Maths degree, they only care about Maths and Further Maths, a better use of time would be on MAT or STEP.
No need for either. You can do extra research and write about it on personal without having to do an EPQ about it if you cant manage the time
Reply 5
Not sure if you consider Lancaster a top school for maths but they offer AAB if you have maths and further maths but do not recognise the EPQ.
Bath offer A*AA for Maths including Maths and FM. Birmingham AAA. Exeter A*AA Liverpool ABB. Lots dont need STEP or FM and dont require 4 A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending