The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices - Further Maths

I have to submit my A-Level choices soon and I'm not sure what to choose.

I'm looking into both Economics and Computer Science at Uni, and will probs take Maths and Chem at A Level (+2 others)

I wasn't sure if I needed further maths for Econ/ CS at Uni, I don't mind maths but it sounds a little overwhelming :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by SAA007

I'm looking into both Economics and Computer Science at Uni, and will probs take Maths and Chem at A Level (+2 others)

I wasn't sure if I needed further maths for Econ/ CS at Uni, I don't mind maths but it sounds a little overwhelming :smile:

I am not sure about whether you need it for Economics or CS but it might be worth checking with your college whether they would allow you to drop the subject after the first year (leaving with an AS in further maths) and continue with just A level maths in the second year. This is what I am doing now - not because I found the further maths really difficult but that I didn't need 4 a levels for my subject that I wanted to do at uni and the AS gave me that extra bit to put on my personal statement that others might not have.
Reply 2
you need it 100% for cs. i joined an oxbridge uni zoom meeting thing and 93% of comp sci students took further maths. with econ it would definitely make you stand out

i would defo recommend it like with my school you have to take it to do comp sci along with maths and/or physics
Reply 3
Original post by Jdhehebe
Original post by SAA007

I am not sure about whether you need it for Economics or CS but it might be worth checking with your college whether they would allow you to drop the subject after the first year (leaving with an AS in further maths) and continue with just A level maths in the second year. This is what I am doing now - not because I found the further maths really difficult but that I didn't need 4 a levels for my subject that I wanted to do at uni and the AS gave me that extra bit to put on my personal statement that others might not have.

i was told that unis don’t take as levels seriously is that true??
Reply 4
Original post by httpluuv

It depends I suppose - you'd have to check with the course first but the AS levels often lead to a reduction in the grades you need. For example at Sheffield for the course I want to do, it would have the affect of turning AAA to AAB. This is though also dependant on you getting a certain grade in AS, I think it was an A in AS further maths in my case.
Reply 5

I just checked and they said we don't do AS levels in school. I guess I could pay do it outside of school but would that really be worth it?
Reply 6
you need it 100% for cs. i joined an oxbridge uni zoom meeting thing and 93% of comp sci students took further maths. with econ it would definitely make you stand out

i would defo recommend it like with my school you have to take it to do comp sci along with maths and/or physics

did you take further maths by any chance? would like to know how hard it is - I'm not bad at maths but we're doing FSMQ currently and that's slowly making me dislike FM for an a level i think
Reply 7
Just be aware that if you feel you struggle with Maths, then CS or Econ at a top Uni may need a rethink.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
Just be aware that if you feel you struggle with Maths, then CS or Econ at a top Uni may need a rethink.

I'm fine at maths, we're currently doing the FSMQ now, I'm not a big fan of it, but I don't mind it.

Just wanted to know how hard/ doable further maths is as an A-Level
Reply 9

It depends I suppose - you'd have to check with the course first but the AS levels often lead to a reduction in the grades you need. For example at Sheffield for the course I want to do, it would have the affect of turning AAA to AAB. This is though also dependant on you getting a certain grade in AS, I think it was an A in AS further maths in my case.
thank you! what other a levels do you take?
Reply 10

thank you! what other a levels do you take?
I take A level Maths, Computer Science and Physics and then I did the AS level in Further Maths in Year 1.

Quick Reply

Latest