The Student Room Group

Which universities for Hospital Pharmacy?

Which university offers the most clinical/hospital experience?

Will the extra clinical experience be useful when applying for pre-reg places?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by daisychain_
Which university offers the most clinical/hospital experience?

Will the extra clinical experience be useful when applying for pre-reg places?

Thanks in advance :smile:

All universities offer clinical experience but when it comes to pre reg you need to arrange your own experience in summer placements to stand out because everyone will have a little experience from uni. In ur pre reg application you talk most about your summer placements that you organise because you learn the most in these as these are 2-6 weeks long
Original post by Paolat
All universities offer clinical experience but when it comes to pre reg you need to arrange your own experience in summer placements to stand out because everyone will have a little experience from uni. In ur pre reg application you talk most about your summer placements that you organise because you learn the most in these as these are 2-6 weeks long

So it doesn't matter if you go to a university which offers more hospital experience?
How would you go about getting this summer experience? (I can't even get community experience)
Does the university you go to matter at all? Would they be more likely to accept applications for work experience/pre reg places from students at particular universities (Nottingham for example)
Reply 3
So it doesn't matter if you go to a university which offers more hospital experience?
How would you go about getting this summer experience? (I can't even get community experience)
Does the university you go to matter at all? Would they be more likely to accept applications for work experience/pre reg places from students at particular universities (Nottingham for example)

No I doesn't matter about the uni placements coz u only spend like a few days in a local hospital with a group to do some kind or project it's really not that deep lol. If u want proper hospital experience that u need a hospital summer placement. It shows that you went out ur way to find ur own placement because EVERY SINGLE MPHARM STUDENT WILL DO THE UNI PLACEMENTS, they don't care which uni u came from either.

During Your time at uni you can email hospitals your cv and cover letter there are hundreds of hospitals so if you email them all I'm sure you will get a summer placement. Emails are on hospital websites or if you are looking for Kent area (KSS website) or London area (lpet website).

Even ring the hospital pharmacy department up and actually speak to them they will be more impressed. You normally apply around November-January for hospital summer placements which take place in June-September

Good luck !
Reply 4
But I guess a uni that is connected with a teaching hospital would be a good choice of ur interested in hospital pharmacy so ones like nottingham which has nottingham university hospitals Or ucl which has UCLH hospitals
Reply 5
At Brighton we do half a day in community in year one, three days in hospitals/clinics in year two, a week in hospital in year three, and another week in hospital in year four. This might be different for those in the lower years now though, but that's how it's been.

Certainly summer placements are a must for you to have the best chance at getting the pre-reg you want, whether it's in hospital or community.
If you can't get accepted onto any proper schemes anywhere, go into pharmacies and ask if you can do some voluntary work.
Even if you want to work in hospital but can only get community experience, take it. It'll show you're a proactive person when you are applying for hospital placements later on.
Manchester has a very strong link to Hospital pharmacy. Definitely worth checking out. Went there myself. One of the tutors I remember has a link to the hospital Preregistration application process. Though tbf most Universities will definitely have an element of Hospital Pharmacy. :smile: Good luck
Original post by Paolat
No I doesn't matter about the uni placements coz u only spend like a few days in a local hospital with a group to do some kind or project it's really not that deep lol. If u want proper hospital experience that u need a hospital summer placement. It shows that you went out ur way to find ur own placement because EVERY SINGLE MPHARM STUDENT WILL DO THE UNI PLACEMENTS, they don't care which uni u came from either.

During Your time at uni you can email hospitals your cv and cover letter there are hundreds of hospitals so if you email them all I'm sure you will get a summer placement. Emails are on hospital websites or if you are looking for Kent area (KSS website) or London area (lpet website).

Even ring the hospital pharmacy department up and actually speak to them they will be more impressed. You normally apply around November-January for hospital summer placements which take place in June-September

Good luck !

Thank you so much for this!
Also, i know Nottingham is very good for research. Is the course heavily focused on the research side of pharmacy?

Original post by ½+½
At Brighton we do half a day in community in year one, three days in hospitals/clinics in year two, a week in hospital in year three, and another week in hospital in year four. This might be different for those in the lower years now though, but that's how it's been.

Certainly summer placements are a must for you to have the best chance at getting the pre-reg you want, whether it's in hospital or community.
If you can't get accepted onto any proper schemes anywhere, go into pharmacies and ask if you can do some voluntary work.
Even if you want to work in hospital but can only get community experience, take it. It'll show you're a proactive person when you are applying for hospital placements later on.

Thank you for the advice :smile:

Original post by R£SP£CT
Manchester has a very strong link to Hospital pharmacy. Definitely worth checking out. Went there myself. One of the tutors I remember has a link to the hospital Preregistration application process. Though tbf most Universities will definitely have an element of Hospital Pharmacy. :smile: Good luck

Excellent, i'm considering applying there anyway :smile: Thank you

You're welcome. If you need any help let me know :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending