The Student Room Group

Would you apply to your local university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jatyization
Sounds good! And yes i will surely ask! :biggrin:

What course are you doing btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Natural Sciences. Doing Physics and Computer Science modules, starting my third year!
Original post by Jatyization
Oh wow! My closest univerisity is wolverhampton too!!! But again they dont do medicine. What part of wolverhampton are you in? if you dont mind me asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not actually Wolverhampton itself - I lived (and my parents still do) in Shropshire, but there aren't any universities there, except Harper Adams which is further away than Wolverhampton.

I don't live there any more though - I moved to London after graduating, and after 5 years there have just moved to Oxford.
Original post by zippyRN
4 surely ? you mentioned DeMented and Derby what about the proper uni in Leicester and Loughborough uni ?

of which Nottingham and Leicester are the ones with Medical Schools ( but the Notts GEM students are based at derby )

Loughborough doesn't do medicine or healthcare courses, and Leicester Uni at the moment only does ODP. I had two choices with Nottingham though as there are two campuses which both offer nursing (Nottingham and Derby royal).

I had originally set my heart on DMU but aimed for higher and firmed Nottingham.
Original post by Suemarie
Loughborough doesn't do medicine or healthcare courses, and Leicester Uni at the moment only does ODP. I had two choices with Nottingham though as there are two campuses which both offer nursing (Nottingham and Derby royal).

I had originally set my heart on DMU but aimed for higher and firmed Nottingham.

i think that shot straight over your head, as did the lack of relevance of 'reputation' of HEIs in rlevance to Nursing pre-reg as the courses are in the gift of the Workforce Development confederation / DoH ... who have previously taken courses off Russell Group universities in favour of an Ex -poly because the RG uni argued that they should maintain the existign status quo on the basis of the investment the uni made between taking on the hospital schools of nursing and the point at which the contract was being re-evaluated.
Lets just say I can see a bit of the uni from my front door. It doesnt do my chosen course thankfully and is a well known uni. (not going to tell you which one).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Suemarie
My local university is Nottingham, although I live close to 2 others which are DMU Leicester and Derby uni.

It's the same with me, though I wouldn't apply to any of them because I want to move as far away as possible :colondollar:
I live in North London so my closest universities are UCL, Middlesex, QMUL, Imperial, Royal Holloway and KCL. I'm pretty much the opposite to what most people have said here - London is my home and I love it with all my heart so I've been chasing a place at a London university for ages. I was quite sad to move out of London for medical school but the course is so competitive that you really do have to take a place wherever you get one - a place in Medicine is like gold dust! I've applied to King's College London three times so far - twice unsuccessfully although the third time I managed to get an offer for my chosen course but I failed a year of Medicine. So now I'm resitting and hopefully (fingers crossed, praying to God) that it's 4th time lucky and I can finally study at a university in London! :s-smilie:
I ended up applying to my 'home' uni as one of my 4 for medicine, and got an offer there. However I really had no intention of going there and only applied to placate the parents who were convinced that I was going to stay at home, they semi-insisted I apply there. And they didn't offer Halls accommodation to local first years. Waste of a choice but thankfully I got other offers too, and by the time I got my offers, I had got the parents used to the idea that I would be moving away. Downfall of having a uni in commuting distance that does the course you want to do! I am so thankful that I moved away and had that experience.
Reply 28
Original post by TLK
My local uni is UCLan, but I wanted to get out of Preston and go somewhere else but not too far so I chose Lancaster!!

UCLan was my local as well back when I was 18/19. No way in hell I would have applied to it for anything, but then again I was very academically-minded. My sister is hoping to get in for Nursing or Midwifery this cycle and commute. I am behind her all the way (though I think she'd also be very happy getting into Manchester and living there, if she can somehow maintain her relationship at the same time). :smile:

These days Copenhagen is my local and I will happily be commuting (but then again in Denmark people tend to get a flat/a room in a flat anyway - there's very little of the 'halls' business).

Original post by sunnydespair
Its actually really advantageous to have that option of commuting from home for some. You get all the home comforts and can just concentrate on your course and have structure and routine and

I've not yet seen anyone who decided to stay living at home who didn't clearly suffer greatly and regret it.
(edited 9 years ago)
My local uni's Aberystwyth so wouldn't be my first choice!
See, this is the problem I have- the place with the course I like most is my local uni (well there are closer unis, but it's the one that my school and other places in my town had links to and things). I want to apply there but it just feels too close to home!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My local uni was Peninsula (back in the day) and I did apply + get an offer. My slightly faulty applicant thinking went something like "if the 3 unis I would rather go to reject me, I'll want to stay home instead". That was madness; I would have had nothing like the experience I've had over the last 4 years if I had stayed in the city where I already worked and went out.
Reply 32
Original post by Ronove
UCLan was my local as well back when I was 18/19. No way in hell I would have applied to it for anything, but then again I was very academically-minded. My sister is hoping to get in for Nursing or Midwifery this cycle and commute. I am behind her all the way (though I think she'd also be very happy getting into Manchester and living there, if she can somehow maintain her relationship at the same time). :smile:

These days Copenhagen is my local and I will happily be commuting (but then again in Denmark people tend to get a flat/a room in a flat anyway - there's very little of the 'halls' business).

I've not yet seen anyone who decided to stay living at home who didn't clearly suffer greatly and regret it.

Yeah I was the same, but I ended up applying there for my 5th option (just to be safe). My sister also completed her undergrad and her masters there. She went there to save money and just commuted but she does say that she's missed out on the experience and sometimes says that she wished she moved else where.

How's the education in Denmark? I have a relative who completed his undergrad in Copenhagen (along along time ago) who didn't have to pay for his education. Is it still the same?
Reply 33
Original post by TLK
Yeah I was the same, but I ended up applying there for my 5th option (just to be safe). My sister also completed her undergrad and her masters there. She went there to save money and just commuted but she does say that she's missed out on the experience and sometimes says that she wished she moved else where.

How's the education in Denmark? I have a relative who completed his undergrad in Copenhagen (along along time ago) who didn't have to pay for his education. Is it still the same?

Yep, still the same. :smile: Not only are there no tuition fees, but Danes (and foreigners in very specific situations) get a maintenance grant of over £500 a month, 12 months a year! It's very different to the UK.
Well there are two universities local to me (Newcastle & Northumbria) and my only choice on UCAS was maths at Newcastle, so yes I did apply to my local uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending