The Student Room Group

Uni accounting

Hi guys I hope you're well
I want to do an Accounting and Finance degree at Aston University, Birmingham.

The entry requirements are:
A grade 5 in GCSE maths
BBB for A-level (any a-levels)

I have a good personal statement (with 6 weeks of accounting-related work experience), a grade 5 in maths, and ABB for predicted (business, history, and sociology). do you think i have a good chance of getting in?

I'm scared because my math grade for gcse is exactly 5 and people with a better grade might apply
Also are my predicted grades good, or is it possible that I can lose my place to someone else?

(btw i can improve my predicted grades but that would take a few weeks and i want to apply asap so i can focus on my a levels)
Original post by ronweasley127
Hi guys I hope you're well
I want to do an Accounting and Finance degree at Aston University, Birmingham.

The entry requirements are:
A grade 5 in GCSE maths
BBB for A-level (any a-levels)

I have a good personal statement (with 6 weeks of accounting-related work experience), a grade 5 in maths, and ABB for predicted (business, history, and sociology). do you think i have a good chance of getting in?

I'm scared because my math grade for gcse is exactly 5 and people with a better grade might apply
Also are my predicted grades good, or is it possible that I can lose my place to someone else?

(btw i can improve my predicted grades but that would take a few weeks and i want to apply asap so i can focus on my a levels)

I think you have a relatively good chance.

Personally, I think you have a good chance of getting into places that ask for AAB as well so long you meet their GCSE entry requirements.

Accounting isn't one of those subjects where everybody is fighting for a place (e.g. medicine, vetinary science, dentistry), even though it's a common subject taught. In my experience, if you have the right grades, you tend to be accepted.

People without relevant work experience have managed to get onto an accounting degree course. I would struggle to understand why you wouldn't be able to.

Where else have you thought about applying to?
Reply 2
Almost certain to get an offer.
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
I think you have a relatively good chance.

Personally, I think you have a good chance of getting into places that ask for AAB as well so long you meet their GCSE entry requirements.

Accounting isn't one of those subjects where everybody is fighting for a place (e.g. medicine, vetinary science, dentistry), even though it's a common subject taught. In my experience, if you have the right grades, you tend to be accepted.

People without relevant work experience have managed to get onto an accounting degree course. I would struggle to understand why you wouldn't be able to.

Where else have you thought about applying to?

Thank you ever so much for replying, I just sent my application off today.

Since i live in Birmingham i wanted to only apply to local universities - I applied to Aston, University of Birmingham, University College Birmingham, Birmingham City University, and Coventry University.

I meet the entry requirements for all the universities apart from university of birmingham - they require a 6 in GCSE Maths but i only have a 5, but i applied nevertheless just in case i have a chance of getting in, and also because I didn't really have a 5th choice (I had some extenuating circumstances that affected my GCSEs, which I made sure they know about).

By the wa, do you have any idea how long these universities take in giving offers? Esp Aston University??
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Almost certain to get an offer.

thank you soo much
Original post by ronweasley127
Thank you ever so much for replying, I just sent my application off today.

Since i live in Birmingham i wanted to only apply to local universities - I applied to Aston, University of Birmingham, University College Birmingham, Birmingham City University, and Coventry University.

I meet the entry requirements for all the universities apart from university of birmingham - they require a 6 in GCSE Maths but i only have a 5, but i applied nevertheless just in case i have a chance of getting in, and also because I didn't really have a 5th choice (I had some extenuating circumstances that affected my GCSEs, which I made sure they know about).

By the wa, do you have any idea how long these universities take in giving offers? Esp Aston University??

I don't know how long the unis take in particular to give a reply.
When I was using UCAS for by degree, they usually get back to me by March/April.

Personally, I think you're drastically limiting your options by just applying locally i.e. there are plenty of good unis outside of Birmingham as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending