The Student Room Group

How do I get work experience

How do I get any work experience in biology or neuroscience
Original post by Jude clarke

I did an internship with a biomedical scientist through In2Science, this was when I was in sixth form though
Reply 2
Original post by Hisksjd
I did an internship with a biomedical scientist through In2Science, this was when I was in sixth form though

Hello I applied to In2science can u tell me what it was like. And if it was useful

you could email near by hospitals to see if they can let you volunteer as that would strengthen any future applications.
Reply 4
Original post by Rainyzack
Hello I applied to In2science can u tell me what it was like. And if it was useful

Tbh my internship had nothing to do with what course I wanted to study. 3/4 years later and I have never brought it up anywhere apart from in my UCAS personal statement, I didn’t even put it on my CV

Hi @Jude clarke,

You could try contacting some local charities to see whether they have any upcoming opportunities. Sometimes local councils offer work experience within their social care settings, so it could be worth contacting them too if it is the health sector you are aiming to work within in the future.

If you are struggling to find any work experience, you could look at further research and reading you could do to demonstrate your interest in biology and neuroscience. The Royal Society of Biology is a really good website. They share what is going on in that sector. You may be able to find some useful Ted Talks and podcasts to listen too.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Pippa
Course Enquiries Team

Good Evening!

I think we can all agree that trying to find work experience can be a daunting thing, but there are definitely opportunities out there for you.

My main tips would be:

Approach local health boards/hospitals --> they may have biology/neuroscience experience in both a clinical and non-clinical setting, including areas such as research or laboratories also.

Speak to your peers/friends --> maybe someone you know has already got some experience and may have some tips?

Speak to your school --> my school had a careers advisor and also some members of staff with good connections to work experience placements, so it's definitely worth asking your teachers!

Contact universities that you would be interested in applying to --> they may be able to offer summer internships or work experience placements. These could also help you choose the university that you may want to go to in future too.

Research the careers if you are considering either of these for university --> personal statements will want you to show that you know your stuff.

Look for online workshops/experiences that may be useful --> a lot of these have stuck around post-Covid.

I hope that helps! The final thing I would say is don't stress too much about work experience. Unless you need to submit a specific number of hours to someone, pick quality over quantity.

Hope Henry - Swansea Student Ambassador - Second Year Graduate Entry Medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending