The Student Room Group

How do you tell you family that you have been Sexually Assaulted?

I want to tell them but am not sure how to go about it.
"Mum, Dad, I was sexually assaulted"
Reply 2
Tell them to sit down with you and explain the events clearly. Tell them your feelings and emotions.. I'm sure they'll only be sympathetic.. Remember, your family are there for you.
pull out some kind of doll, he/she touched me 'here' and 'here'

*while doing this, point to appropriate places on doll*
Mum, Dad I was sexually assaulted last week/ year or whenever. I am not pregnant (hopefully) and either tell them you have been to the police or say why you don't want to do that.

They will be concerned about your future safety so will want to know how it happened and if there is anything you need to do to avoid a repeat. They may also want to know if you are getting any help to deal with this. I don't know if this website could help you but there are likely to be people who could talk you through it http://www.thesurvivorstrust.org/
Mother, Father, assaulted I was, in a nature of sexual.
Reply 6
Original post by manchesterunited15
"Mum, Dad, I was sexually assaulted"

Do you think I should just come straight out with it?
Reply 7
Original post by vd12345
Tell them to sit down with you and explain the events clearly. Tell them your feelings and emotions.. I'm sure they'll only be sympathetic.. Remember, your family are there for you.

I will probably do this eventually.
Original post by Maid Marian
Mother, Father, assaulted I was, in a nature of sexual.

Original post by Arithmeticae
pull out some kind of doll, he/she touched me 'here' and 'here'

*while doing this, point to appropriate places on doll*

What's wrong with you two? I literally laughed out loud for a few minutes at your comments. I feel guilty... :spank:
mum dad, i had unwanted attention from a man
Reply 10
Didn't think this many people would find sexual assault funny.

Unless they think am a troll- which am not.
Reply 11
Original post by ngb9320

It depends on the situation, your gender/sex, the gender/sex of the assaulter and your relationship with your family members. If you don't want to disclose that then just sit down with them and make sure they know you want to tell them something serious and it's a big deal to tell them. Explain the situation you were in then how it happened and how you feel about it. If you want to press charges then talk about that too. If you don't want to or can't then just ask them for the emotional support.
Reply 12
Original post by ohland
It depends on the situation, your gender/sex, the gender/sex of the assaulter and your relationship with your family members. If you don't want to disclose that then just sit down with them and make sure they know you want to tell them something serious and it's a big deal to tell them. Explain the situation you were in then how it happened and how you feel about it. If you want to press charges then talk about that too. If you don't want to or can't then just ask them for the emotional support.

Am worried about how devastated they will be.
Reply 13
Original post by ngb9320
Am worried about how devastated they will be.

Why would they be devastated? You probably need the emotional support
When I told my parents my mum was pretty devastated and I thought it was shame at first but she was so supportive. I just walked downstairs, sat down, and said 'when I was with... he did stuff... and I didn't want it' effectively. It was random, because I thought if I didn't plan it I could just do it. I wasn't sure she understood at first because she said nothing, but after a couple of days stuff started falling in place. I know that doesn't really help at all, but I thought I'd say something.
Reply 15
Original post by ohland
Why would they be devastated? You probably need the emotional support

Just because its a terrible thing to happen.
Reply 16
Original post by CarysMoo
When I told my parents my mum was pretty devastated and I thought it was shame at first but she was so supportive. I just walked downstairs, sat down, and said 'when I was with... he did stuff... and I didn't want it' effectively. It was random, because I thought if I didn't plan it I could just do it. I wasn't sure she understood at first because she said nothing, but after a couple of days stuff started falling in place. I know that doesn't really help at all, but I thought I'd say something.

It does help a bit. Have you found yourself being able to move on?
Original post by ngb9320
It does help a bit. Have you found yourself being able to move on?

I have been able to move on to an extent - it's been like 2 and a half years, and sometimes when I remember I just get really depressed and I feel really low; and at first I was like, 'I think I deserved it'. But now I've started seeing someone for the first time since, and I think I'm finally fully moving on. Lost any interest in sex for 2 years, felt dirty when I did find something attractive, but I really think time and shifting the blame on the guilty party (which is hard) helps.
Original post by ngb9320

Hi
I am really sorry to hear that you have been sexually assaulted. This is a very scary and traumatic thing to experience.
It's good that you want to tell your family though, it's important that you have people around you who understand and can support you.

I think you would benefit from looking at this website (and maybe also contacting them if you want to). They are a brilliant organisation who support people who have been through rape and sexual assault. There is a lot of info on their site and the good thing is that they also support families of people who were assaulted. This page has info that you could show your family:

http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/givingsupport2.php

It is likely that they will be upset and they may not know what to say - this will help answer questions they may have and help them to understand how best to support you. They can also ring the helpline to get advice.

Remember that what happened was not your fault. The best thing you can do is get support which is what you are hoping to do, so you are doing the right thing.

I hope the conversation goes well, but remember that there are people outside of your family who can also help,
take care
jo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending