The Student Room Group

Are people with 2.2s good PHD students?

Seeing some wanting to do a PhD with a 2.2 , it looks strange and shows that they have lesser skills?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.

/end thread.
Reply 2
I've worked in recruitment. I would take a 2:2 student with a good interview and experience like part-time jobs, volunteering, sports, mentoring, society membership over a student with a good interview and a First, but little else to show for it.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
I've worked in recruitment. I would take a 2:2 student with a good interview and experience like part-time jobs, volunteering, sports, mentoring, society membership over a student with a good interview and a First, but little else to show for it.
I'm talking about phds not jobs
Are you someone with a 2.2 and worrying about your own grade and how that might look?
Reply 5
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Are you someone with a 2.2 and worrying about your own grade and how that might look?

First class Hons
Distinction MA
Original post by Anonymous
First class Hons
Distinction MA

I see! So why hide behind anon? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I see! So why hide behind anon? :smile:
????
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm talking about phds not jobs
A 2:2 doesn't show a lack of skills; why do you think that it does?

What skills and experience do you have alongside your qualifications?
????

I mean, it is kind of pathetic to hide isn't it?
Original post by Surnia
A 2:2 doesn't show a lack of skills; why do you think that it does?
What skills and experience do you have alongside your qualifications?
How come these students with 2.2s are crying here then that they are not able to secure admission into phd programs?
Reply 11
There are loads of good reasons an otherwise excellent candidate might underperform. A 2ii is a useful filtering tool only in conjunction with further metrics. In isolation, it does not tell us much.

BA Hons (I)
MA (D)
PhD (RC funded)
PGCE
PGCHE

:rolleyes:
Original post by gjd800
There are loads of good reasons an otherwise excellent candidate might underperform. A 2ii is a useful filtering tool only in conjunction with further metrics. In isolation, it does not tell us much.
BA Hons (I)
MA (D)
PhD (RC funded)
PGCE
PGCHE
:rolleyes:
So you agree that 2.2s aren't good right?
Reply 13
So you agree that 2.2s aren't good right?
They are basically average.
Reply 14
How come these students with 2.2s are crying here then that they are not able to secure admission into phd programs?
Ask them. But what are your competences that provide you with transferrable skills?
Original post by Surnia
Ask them. But what are your competences that provide you with transferrable skills?
I dint think phd programs are looking for competencies. They are only looking for grades
Not true.So competitive now experience will also come into play.
Original post by Scotney
Not true.So competitive now experience will also come into play.

How can 2.2s even pass there vivas? It's not possible?
How can 2.2s even pass there vivas? It's not possible?
Why do you care?Got your Ist and your Distinction so jog on and do something useful with yourself.Ps that is not how you spell their in this context!
For PhD it was more about whether the proposal is interesting to the supervisor and whether they can see themselves working well with you. I got a 2:2 and it hasn't done me any harm at all in life. Perfect academic students are often lacking in people skills... some posts on here might be proof of that point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending