The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
you're good then. well done for posting. happy to help!!!! delete away and never be bothered again
Reply 81
Raspy
you're good then. well done for posting. happy to help!!!! delete away and never be bothered again

Phew Raspy! What a relief. Thanks so much for your help dude.

And thanks to everyone else too.

:tsr2:
Reply 82
Only thing is. Just ran SpyBot again, just after deleting those icons of the Programmes Menu.

It appeared to have located 3 more problems:

Avenue A, Inc.
HitBox
WebTrends Live

Are those three all dangerous? Where am I getting these all from? Are they related to my original Spyware problem, or just independant?

Thing is, I have not downloaded anything (unlike last time, which actually gave me my spyware). I have just been going on my usual web sites, ones which are safe:

ign.com, TSR, gamespot, bbc, pokerforum.. etc

And I have been getting no symptoms of spyware at all...
Reply 83
sometimes this does happen. spybot is known for it!! my only advice would be to fix them as you do: don't ask me why it does it however, my best guess would be that the programs you see do not run at every startup, just selected ones or something??!! if you notice a decrease in your PC's performance, give us a shout, otherwise, fix them and you should be OK

edit: these seem to be independant, as none of them showed up in the original scan you ran, i seem to remember??!!
Reply 84
Okay then. In that case I hope its not related to my spyware problem originally. I would have hoped to have got wridden of that.

I mean, how frequently does spybot pick up things on your computer?

Its annoying Spybot still picks up things, as I have been going on those regular sites for years with no problems.

Are those three things picked up actually harmful? Or could Spybot pick up fairly harmless things such as cookies, or pop-ups?

Sorry, its just worrying that after all my problems appear to have been solved, Spybot has managed to locate 3 more within the space of a day.
Reply 85
you'll be fine: like you say they could well just be cookies. spybot takes the better to be safe than sorry approach and tbh it's the best approach for a computer!!! you'll be fine i think, but, like i say, any problems, give us all a shout!!
Reply 86
Raspy
you'll be fine: like you say they could well just be cookies. spybot takes the better to be safe than sorry approach and tbh it's the best approach for a computer!!! you'll be fine i think, but, like i say, any problems, give us all a shout!!

Okay thanks. If I get an unusual amount being recorded by Spybot every day then i'll get back in touch. I guess they must have been independant as they did not appear on the original scan. And my computer does appear to be running like normal *touch wood*

Since you ran Spybot, has your computer been completely cleared? Because I think we both had exactly the same thing. How often does Spybot pick up new things on your PC?

Thanks for all your help btw..
Soz, I mean only use Hijack This as the last LAST resort. Those three are just tracking cookies that tracks what sites you go on, blah,blah, blah and so bring up the relevant sites. i.e. if you go on some pron site :biggrin:, you'll get plenty of adverts to do with...you know! :biggrin:

If Windows Security Center is shown in SpyBot you can untick those boxes as they just recommend you not to disable the notifications.

Steps are:
GO to Security Center
Tick do not notify me if antivirus/firewall is not on/updated
Click OK

Run Spybot
Do System Scan
Windows Security Center should be detected in the scan
Right click on each of them and select ignore this in future searches and untick the boxes
Click OK and you will not be troubled by this again!
Reply 88
spybot is like a crazed mother in her son's untidy bedroom: no matter how much he does, it'll never be perfectly tidy lol (if you get what i mean!!) don't worry about it too much, you'll be fine. honest. pm me if you have any other probs. and im up early for college in morning, so it's off to bed for me. help is always available!!! glad to be of service!!
@Theepw

You doing Pharmacy too! :biggrin:

Run SpyBot at least once a week to keep your computer running in top condition! Every site that has adverts, will always have some form of tracking cookie, these are what SpyBot will regularly pick up and prompts you to delete them.
Reply 90
Okay then, so if these files come up again on Spybot:

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify
Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify

...it does not mean I am deleting any anti virus or firewall on my computer? That was my only worry, especially since I am not 100% computer aware, as I am sure you have all gathered. :wink:
No! It means this:

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify means:

Windows Security Center - Notifications for out of date/disabled antivirus

Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify means:

Windows Security Center - Notifications for disabled firewall
Reply 92
Its a relief that it gets rid of harmful and non harmful programmes.

Yea, I'm doing Pharmacy, its good fun. Ahh, your going to LSOP, cool. Hope that you have a good time.

I guess I will hit the hay too, I have lots of uni things to buy tomorrow in preparation for going back in a couple of weeks.

Thanks so much for your help guys. I knew the good 'ol student room would help me out.
Reply 93
spysect
No! It means this:

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify means:

Windows Security Center - Notifications for out of date/disabled antivirus

Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify means:

Windows Security Center - Notifications for disabled firewall

Okay, so if your deleting a file that is a firewalldisablenotify, that means that now those files have been deleted, my computer will now tell me if my firewall or antivirus ever stops working?
Its a pleasure theepw!

Which uni u off too? And hows accom?
Yes, your computer will now tell you when your firewall/antivirus is disabled!
Yes, your computer will now tell you when your firewall/antivirus is disabled!
Reply 97
spysect
Its a pleasure theepw!

Which uni u off too? And hows accom?

I am already at Reading. I will be going into my second year of pharmacy in October. I actually turned down an offer for LSOP, so I have taken a gamble with Reading, especially being a new school of pharmacy. Moving into a house, so accommodation should be better than Halls I imagine.

But LSOP has one of, if not the best pharmacy courses in the country in terms of the syllabus. You should have a great time there, especially being in London. Also, since LSOP is a small uni, you will be in the halls of UCL I believe, since LSOP is part of that Uni. Which is a good thing, as it means you wont purely be mixing with just pharmacy students. Have a good time at your first year at uni. Its a good mix of work and play.

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.
it'll be spend spend spend now! :lolz:
Reply 99
haha! True, but with a student loan (most likely the best loan you will ever get in your life), then why not go on a bit of a spend, eh? :p:

Night everyone. Thanks for the help. I will be sure to consult you if I have any further problems, its a pleasure talking to people who know what they are talking about.

(btw, any questions you have about pharmacy, feel free to PM me)

Latest

Trending

Trending