The Student Room Group

Feeling low with a 2:2

So I’ll be walking away with a 2:2 as my Degree in Computing. This makes me feel like a failure and flop I sustained an average of 56% overall and I was short of 4% to get a 2:1. Does this limit my chances of a postgraduate job and especially in my field of study. What jobs are available with a Degree in Computing Networks and Technology. And I hope this doesn’t mean I will be stuck in retail as the thought of that makes me feel scared :frown:
Reply 1
Please do not despair. You have an amazing degree. Anyone with an analytical degree will walk into a job in data analytics. A 2.2 is not the end of the world.

Take an entrepreneurship masters and learn about how to set up your own company. Then go design a new app that will make you millions.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
It's not all lost. There are plenty of companies that accept graduates with 2:2s and some don't even state any grade requirements. The main thing when it comes to job searching is to keep an open mind. Use as many job boards as you can to find opportunities. Some of the best ones i've used were indeed, reed, cvlibrary and gradcracker. Also, don't forget to use your university's career site because it may also provide some opportunities. As long as you keep an open mind, polish your CV and nail the interview technique your degree will have almost zero weighing.

In reality, your degree is only used for the initial screening and only forms a small part of your application process. It's definitely possible to find a role even if you had underperformed at uni. Since you finished a computing degree, you can do a lot with it. Most entry-level or junior tech roles will be open to you. Maybe you would be interested in software engineering, DevOps or data engineering? There are also many IT roles that don't require degrees. So there are plenty of opportunities and keep looking and make the most out of the chances that you're given. You can't be too picky about your first job. Even if it's a slightly lower level IT role, it could still provide you with valuable experience and you could move up the ladder. The hardest thing is to get your foot in the door as they say.
Reply 3
Original post by mike23mike
Please do not despair. You have an amazing degree. Anyone with an analytical degree will walk into a job in data analytics. A 2.2 is not the end of the world.

Take an entrepreneurship masters and learn about how to set up your own company. Then go design a new app that will make you millions.

Thanks for the words of encouragement so do you think the way forward would be to do a masters degree… or as a postgraduate I now begin to look for a job or something else.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It's not all lost. There are plenty of companies that accept graduates with 2:2s and some don't even state any grade requirements. The main thing when it comes to job searching is to keep an open mind. Use as many job boards as you can to find opportunities. Some of the best ones i've used were indeed, reed, cvlibrary and gradcracker. Also, don't forget to use your university's career site because it may also provide some opportunities. As long as you keep an open mind, polish your CV and nail the interview technique your degree will have almost zero weighing.

In reality, your degree is only used for the initial screening and only forms a small part of your application process. It's definitely possible to find a role even if you had underperformed at uni. Since you finished a computing degree, you can do a lot with it. Most entry-level or junior tech roles will be open to you. Maybe you would be interested in software engineering, DevOps or data engineering? There are also many IT roles that don't require degrees. So there are plenty of opportunities and keep looking and make the most out of the chances that you're given. You can't be too picky about your first job. Even if it's a slightly lower level IT role, it could still provide you with valuable experience and you could move up the ladder. The hardest thing is to get your foot in the door as they say.

I just don’t know what my next steps should be I feel so low in confidence :frown:
Reply 5
Thanks for the words of encouragement so do you think the way forward would be to do a masters degree… or as a postgraduate I now begin to look for a job or something else.

Take some time to think through what you want to do. A masters is not cheap so a masters in the wrong direction will not help; it will just increase your debt burden. Go to the uni careers dept and sit down with an expert and discuss your options.
Reply 6
When you are new to the jobs market degree classifications are used to screen out applicants for graduate schemes.
Once you have worked more the focus will be on the work you have done not on your degree classification.
You need to work on getting a job.
Do not be so hung up on getting a graduate job or graduate scheme but simply a starting role.
At this point more qualifications will not necessarily make you more employable.
Work experience will.
Reply 7
Original post by mike23mike
Take some time to think through what you want to do. A masters is not cheap so a masters in the wrong direction will not help; it will just increase your debt burden. Go to the uni careers dept and sit down with an expert and discuss your options.

Okay I’ll do that
Reply 8
When you are new to the jobs market degree classifications are used to screen out applicants for graduate schemes.
Once you have worked more the focus will be on the work you have done not on your degree classification.
You need to work on getting a job.
Do not be so hung up on getting a graduate job or graduate scheme but simply a starting role.
At this point more qualifications will not necessarily make you more employable.
Work experience will.

Where would you advise I look for work experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending