The Student Room Group

Was unable to choose the needed A levels

Hello, I recently started sixth form college and I am currently studying a level English lit, a level psychology and a level computing. I wanted to choose the career pathway of psychiatry however I got a 5 in gcse biology hence my sixth form did not allow me to choose a level biology. Because of this I can’t study medicine in university to become a psychiatrist which has completely stressed me out. I am also aware that my a level subject combination is quite strange and feels like they will not be beneficial to me when trying to apply for any preferred degree in university. Can someone please tell me what I should do in this situation and what careers I would be able to pursue with these a levels. Additionally, I would also like to know what university degrees I should possibly apply for with these a levels. I would truly appreciate a response.
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi, I wouldn't say I'm an expert on this but I also do a-level psychology and eng lit (i'm in year 13), I know that you can study psychology in many unis since they require at least one science/ math subject and most of them count psychology in that as well. this could also be a good option as its quite similar to psychiatry- maybe if you go down the psychology root then there might be an option to branch out into the psychiatry field later on. Also I know you can do journalism, eng lit and law because you study eng lit. idk about computing tho because many universities, if not all require you to study a-level math as well if you want to go down that field. Also its worth mentioning that you JUST started sixth form, shouldn't your school give you the option to switch your subjects if you're not happy with them? No pressure ofc, but maybe if you have a passion for something then pick subjects that are similar to that topic. + I know some sixth forms give students the ability to re-sit a GCSE if they need it for a specific course, might be worth asking your head of year or form tutor for that. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Ty
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by worldomination
Hi, I wouldn't say I'm an expert on this but I also do a-level psychology and eng lit (i'm in year 13), I know that you can study psychology in many unis since they require at least one science/ math subject and most of them count psychology in that as well. this could also be a good option as its quite similar to psychiatry- maybe if you go down the psychology root then there might be an option to branch out into the psychiatry field later on. Also I know you can do journalism, eng lit and law because you study eng lit. idk about computing tho because many universities, if not all require you to study a-level math as well if you want to go down that field. Also its worth mentioning that you JUST started sixth form, shouldn't your school give you the option to switch your subjects if you're not happy with them? No pressure ofc, but maybe if you have a passion for something then pick subjects that are similar to that topic. + I know some sixth forms give students the ability to re-sit a GCSE if they need it for a specific course, might be worth asking your head of year or form tutor for that. Hope this helps!

Hi, thank you so much for your help! I’ve decided to ask my school for help and maybe change my subjects to make it a more matching combination. Yet again thanks so much for your reply and advice! It is greatly appreciated :smile:
It's okay, glad I could help!

Quick Reply

Latest