The Student Room Group

Computer Science and oversaturation in 2024

I'll be starting a Computer Science degree in 2024 and will expect to graduate 3-4 years after that.

I've been hearing many conflicting opinions about the value of a CS degree.. Some say that the market for graduates is extremely oversaturated. However I have noticed that a lot of these people are from the US but I still think its reasonable to assume a similar trend in the UK?

I've also heard that to excel in a field such as software engineering you need to have some profound love for coding combined with being extremely talented.

I haven't been coding since I was a child. I'm not an expert at coding. And I don't have a deep passion for computer science. But I will say that I have always got very good grades at school with minimal effort especially in the mathematical subjects. I'm not saying this to boast but I have always been good at problem solving and finding creative solutions to problems which is why I think/ thought computer science would be a good fit.

But there are many jobs that require problem solving that are not tied exactly to CS so I'm wandering if my skills may be better off applied elsewhere because I want to be useful at what I do (I don't want to just chase money.)

I guess I'm doubting my abilities because I am very very very far from being good at coding and still have so much to learn. It's also the risk of not knowing exactly what the degree is like as A-level and GCSE are completely different.
Original post by omgwha
I'll be starting a Computer Science degree in 2024 and will expect to graduate 3-4 years after that.

I've been hearing many conflicting opinions about the value of a CS degree.. Some say that the market for graduates is extremely oversaturated. However I have noticed that a lot of these people are from the US but I still think its reasonable to assume a similar trend in the UK?

I've also heard that to excel in a field such as software engineering you need to have some profound love for coding combined with being extremely talented.

I haven't been coding since I was a child. I'm not an expert at coding. And I don't have a deep passion for computer science. But I will say that I have always got very good grades at school with minimal effort especially in the mathematical subjects. I'm not saying this to boast but I have always been good at problem solving and finding creative solutions to problems which is why I think/ thought computer science would be a good fit.

But there are many jobs that require problem solving that are not tied exactly to CS so I'm wandering if my skills may be better off applied elsewhere because I want to be useful at what I do (I don't want to just chase money.)

I guess I'm doubting my abilities because I am very very very far from being good at coding and still have so much to learn. It's also the risk of not knowing exactly what the degree is like as A-level and GCSE are completely different.

So what are you asking? I assume you've already applied? Where have you applied to, are they all CS courses?
Hi, just wanted to let you know that my start to my CS career was similar - very uncertain, not too good at coding, didn't even do A Level CS. I arrived to my CS degree at Durham, I was really weak at whatever skills it demanded, found it hard to deal with at first. Currently am completing my Masters at Durham in CS, and I managed to score a tech grad job this year as well. In addition, I have many friends who have secured tech roles without being amazingly passionate about them.

Overall, I hope this helps to calm your nerves, and if anything, please do ask if you have any questions about CS at uni and jobs too! I'm not an expert but can certainly speak of my own experience, if that's useful :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by omgwha

It's definitely not as good as 2014, also UK SE aren't paid very well compared to their US counterparts (you rarely break £100k as a senior). As you said, there's a recent oversupply of conversion course MSc students.

But even in a declining situation, tech is here to stay and if you look across other STEM subjects the prospects are way worse. I was on the dole after graduating from Cambridge Chemistry because organic chemistry is dead for good. Even if you want to pursue other career paths like banking, a CS degree is going to be high up in the grad hierarchy because 1.it's numerate 2.you can innovate existing workflows by coding and automating stuff. You can always join the finance industry as an IT auditor, IT consultant or internal IT support. They pay pretty well.

I thought about doing a CS conversion course but I didn't have the cash at the time and had to settle for a low skilled job. If I can become you today, I'd pick CS or Medicine without a doubt.
(edited 2 months ago)
I want to preface this with the fact that I am interested in studying law (so not a CS expert or anything), but I have seen a lot of demand for CS in less obvious sectors. So even if jobs at Google, Apple, etc. are over applied to, lots of other industries want people who can code, e.g. law (I think there might be a big growth in legal tech. at the moment), and I expect this will be similar in finance and other similar industries.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by omgwha

I would say that industry is definitely focussed either towards management or software engineering. While a degree will help you to fast track towards a good job, you gotta develop skills which are relevant to industry because most universities CS degrees will not prepare you for jobs (since the programming languages used in industry are way different to what is taught).
Reply 6
Original post by omgwha

Everything you say is entirely true although I think thinks are slightly worse off in the US than here. The point about tech is they don't want just anyone with a degree. They are looking for very specific skills and a generic degree generally doesn't quite cut the mustard in most cases.

If I were you and if you want to get things right, why not go out into the world of work, initially in any job but use that time to try and secure some work experience in the sort of workplace you would like to end up. Then you can see what skills you require and / or degree that you need to do.

I can't help but feel that the majority of undergrads rush into a degree without thinking about the end goal and by the time you get there it is too late.
Reply 7
Original post by hotpud
Everything you say is entirely true although I think thinks are slightly worse off in the US than here. The point about tech is they don't want just anyone with a degree. They are looking for very specific skills and a generic degree generally doesn't quite cut the mustard in most cases.

If I were you and if you want to get things right, why not go out into the world of work, initially in any job but use that time to try and secure some work experience in the sort of workplace you would like to end up. Then you can see what skills you require and / or degree that you need to do.

I can't help but feel that the majority of undergrads rush into a degree without thinking about the end goal and by the time you get there it is too late.

how would someone fresh out of school get into the field of work? because a lot of entry level positions in the fields im interested in require experience/ a degree and i don’t have any connections with people in these places
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by omgwha
how would someone fresh out of school get into the field of work? because a lot of entry level positions in the fields im interested in require experience/ a degree and i don’t have any connections with people in these places

If you need a degree, then get a degree. That is easy.

But equally, there is nothing stopping you creating a portfolio of projects that you could show off on a website which you have also made. Showing off your skills in coding is really easy as there are lots of opportunities to publicly share your work e.g. Github.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending