The Student Room Group

kindle vs physical books

My room is stacked pretty heavily with books...mainly philosophy, maths , physics and literature. At least 500 books I reckon.

I bought these books when I was unrealistic and thought I'd read them all.

They mostly just sit on my shelves reminding me of how ignorant and poor (from spending all my money) I am.

Is this good for me?

Should I have got a kindle instead? Do they support maths texts very well?
Books are better. They don't fail you when technology does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by mathsmathsmaths
My room is stacked pretty heavily with books...mainly philosophy, maths , physics and literature. At least 500 books I reckon.

I bought these books when I was unrealistic and thought I'd read them all.

They mostly just sit on my shelves reminding me of how ignorant and poor (from spending all my money) I am.

Is this good for me?

Should I have got a kindle instead? Do they support maths texts very well?

Kindles aren't so good for maths, however for other I actually prefer the kindle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Books are better. They don't fail you when technology does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True enough!

But books are costly and get creased etc

Also my room makes me look like a nerd and physically seeing all the books I haven't read is stressful... Plus they get in the way sometimes
True enough!

Also my room makes me look like a nerd and physically seeing all the books I haven't read is stressful... Plus they get in the way sometimes

What's wrong with being a nerd :biggrin:
Books last for ages though, and a Kindle can never replace the smell of a new book as you curl up to read it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
True enough!

Original post by Obiejess
What's wrong with being a nerd :biggrin:
Books last for ages though, and a Kindle can never replace the smell of a new book as you curl up to read it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair points. I just fine kindles easier to read because books the words seem to move and I just can't get into it. Whereas with kindles they stay still and I can get into it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have the same issue. I recently gave away a few hundred books to charity and it hurt my soul. Considering doing the same with the rest of my books soon but I really must read them all first.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
It depends on whether you have enough space and if you are going to actually read them or not. Why not see it as a challenge to read them all and after you've read each one, give it away to charity if you don't want it?

Personally, I prefer books but I have a kindle because I travel a lot.
I prefer real books. I like the feeling of the paper, technology can fail sometimes, and not all books are available as ebooks. I also like to build up a very visible book collection.

Not all of my books would work on stuff like Kindle. I have a very good book with some beautiful photos in it, and a kindle would be too small for it to work as an ebook. Probably why not all books are available in that format.
I personally prefer a kindle by a mile. I don’t have to hold a heavy book, I can buy a new one whenever I want, i can bring multiple books with me, I read more than ever with my kindle. Kindles are just better. I got the first game of thrones book and read the first chapter which took me ages to. When I got my kindle I read through multiple chapters in a day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending