The Student Room Group

Equipotency doubts

Hi! I came across this question and i don´t know how to answer it.

Q. Prove that [0,1] and (0,1) are equipotent by defining a bijection.

And the theory behind this ( Cardinality and Numerability) seems a bit confusing to me.. so if someone could explain this to me i would really appreciate it! Thanks!
Original post by alex1114

And the theory behind this ( Cardinality and Numerability) seems a bit confusing to me.. so if someone could explain this to me i would really appreciate it! Thanks!

I'm not sure how better to explain it than "prove that two sets are equipotent by defining a bijection between them" :P is there anything in particular you don't understand?

By the way, this question is *much* easier if you are allowed to use the Schröder-Bernstein theorem: that two sets are bijective if there are injections both ways. (However, I think the wording of the question precludes that, because it wants you to define a bijection.)

Note also that no such bijection can be continuous, because the continuous image of a compact set is compact, but (0,1) is not compact while [0,1] is.

By the way, I've got a suitable bijection explicitly now. It's related to the fact that N\mathbb{N} is bijective with {2,3,,}\{2, 3, \dots, \}.
Reply 3
The trouble is, that i don't know how i can make that bijection.. Completely lost. ( By the way, this is not homework, it is just a random question i found to do, and to be honest , i would be really grateful if you could show me how to tackle it) Many thanks
The trouble is, that i don't know how i can make that bijection.. Completely lost. ( By the way, this is not homework, it is just a random question i found to do, and to be honest , i would be really grateful if you could show me how to tackle it) Many thanks

OK. You need a way to insert two elements into an infinite set. An easier one: can you biject {1,2,}\{1, 2, \dots \} with {2,3,}\{2, 3, \dots \}?
Reply 5
Original post by Smaug123
OK. You need a way to insert two elements into an infinite set. An easier one: can you biject {1,2,}\{1, 2, \dots \} with {2,3,}\{2, 3, \dots \}?

I am sorry if i am looking foolish by asking these sort of questions, but, to make a bijection do i have to define it through a function ? e.g a bijection between N( natural numbers) and even is n----> 2n so then 1-->2 ,
2--->4 and so on...

I know that a bijection is when each and every element in the original set is paired with one element of the other set ( one to one functions?), but, how can i establish a bijection between two sets? Or is a bijection of with simply {(1,2),(2,3)....} ?
Or to make a bijection between those sets i would have to say that n ---> n+1 so that 1--->2 2---->3 ??
I am sorry if i am looking foolish by asking these sort of questions, but, to make a bijection do i have to define it through a function ? e.g a bijection between N( natural numbers) and even is n----> 2n so then 1-->2 ,
2--->4 and so on...

I know that a bijection is when each and every element in the original set is paired with one element of the other set ( one to one functions?), but, how can i establish a bijection between two sets? Or is a bijection of with simply {(1,2),(2,3)....} ?
Or to make a bijection between those sets i would have to say that n ---> n+1 so that 1--->2 2---->3 ??

Yes. A *bijection* is a function which is both injective and surjective. That is, it is a one-to-one mapping from all of its domain to all of its range.

Strictly, the bijection you refer to is indeed the function mm+1m \mapsto m+1. However, it is perfectly clear what you mean when you write {(1,2),(2,3),…}.

OK. You have a way of "adding elements to a countable-infinite set by a bijection" (which you've just demonstrated by adding the element 1 to the list {2, 3, …}). Does this help you to extend (0,1) to [0,1] by a bijection?
Reply 7
Yes. A *bijection* is a function which is both injective and surjective. That is, it is a one-to-one mapping from all of its domain to all of its range.

Strictly, the bijection you refer to is indeed the function mm+1m \mapsto m+1. However, it is perfectly clear what you mean when you write {(1,2),(2,3),…}.

OK. You have a way of "adding elements to a countable-infinite set by a bijection" (which you've just demonstrated by adding the element 1 to the list {2, 3, …}). Does this help you to extend (0,1) to [0,1] by a bijection?

To be honest, i don´t know how to relate to an other set elements which are not included in the set (0 and 1 not included in (0,1) ) so i am confused about that
To be honest, i don´t know how to relate to an other set elements which are not included in the set (0 and 1 not included in (0,1) ) so i am confused about that
Not entirely sure what you mean, but note that you have just related two sets N = {1, 2, 3, ...} and M = {2, 3, ...} where 1 is in N but not in M.

Mapping (0,1) to [0,1] is not actually much harder once you see how to do it, but I certainly found it hard to find the right approach.

Here's one method (which I've tried to break into spoiler protected steps):

Spoiler

Reply 9

Spoiler

bijection between (0,1) and [0,1] ,, f(x) = x U {0,1} is that right then?

Spoiler

bijection between (0,1) and [0,1] ,, f(x) = x U {0,1} is that right then?
It's good practice to always state the domain and range of your functions; that would have told you in this instance that your function isn't of the right form. You're trying to find a function from (0,1)(0,1) to [0,1][0,1]. Suppose you feed the function f(x)=x{0,1}f(x) = x \cup \{0,1\} with the value x=12x=\frac{1}{2}. Your function now spits out the value 12{0,1}\frac{1}{2} \cup \{0,1\}, which doesn't even make sense as a mathematical construct.
Reply 11
It's good practice to always state the domain and range of your functions; that would have told you in this instance that your function isn't of the right form. You're trying to find a function from (0,1)(0,1) to [0,1][0,1]. Suppose you feed the function f(x)=x{0,1}f(x) = x \cup \{0,1\} with the value x=12x=\frac{1}{2}. Your function now spits out the value 12{0,1}\frac{1}{2} \cup \{0,1\}, which doesn't even make sense as a mathematical construct.[/QUOTI

How would it be then?
Your function now spits out the value 12{0,1}\frac{1}{2} \cup \{0,1\}, which doesn't even make sense as a mathematical construct.

How would it be then?

Well, that's the question. I'm afraid I don't consider myself competent to help here - I think I've made your understanding worse.

I'll give you the bonus no-effort proof that a bijection exists, though: the function f:(0,1)[0,1]f: (0,1) \to [0,1] by xxx \mapsto x is injective, and the function g:[0,1](0,1)g: [0,1] \to (0,1) by xx+24x \mapsto \frac{x+2}{4} is injective. Hence by the Schröder-Bernstein theorem, there is a bijection between (0,1)(0,1) and [0,1][0,1].

Spoiler

bijection between (0,1) and [0,1] ,, f(x) = x U {0,1} is that right then?No, I'm saying that your map will look like:

f(x) = x for xnTx \not in T
f(x) = B(x) for xTx \in T, where B is the bijection between S and S{0,1}S \cup \{0, 1\} (i.e. T) that you found using a similar argument to the one earlier about bijecting {1,2,3,...} with {2, 3, 4, ...}

Quick Reply

Latest