The Student Room Group

temporary traffic lights

i accidentally went through a road works red light earlier. the lights were quite a distance away from where we needed to stop and was on a small narrow road. will i get points? tried to have a google around and couldn’t seem to find a straightforward answer 😅
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by liv.jane44
i accidentally went through a road works red light earlier. the lights were quite a distance away from where we needed to stop and was on a small narrow road. will i get points? tried to have a google around and couldn’t seem to find a straightforward answer 😅

I think it is unlikely because I don't think a police officer saw you do it
Reply 2

If there is a camera there, you will get a fine and points.
If a member of the public reports you, you may get points and a fine, especially if caught on a dashcam.

I mean. Unless they have applied a camera to the temp lights (unlikely? Idk) you should be fine. I struggle to understand how you didn’t notice. That said, I don’t see temp lights A) having cameras fitted/programmed and B) being able to legally enforce (due to the fact they’re not permanent fixtures).

The ultimate answer will present itself through the letterbox or (hopefully for you) not.
Original post by Forwardthought

I mean. Unless they have applied a camera to the temp lights (unlikely? Idk) you should be fine. I struggle to understand how you didn’t notice. That said, I don’t see temp lights A) having cameras fitted/programmed and B) being able to legally enforce (due to the fact they’re not permanent fixtures).

The ultimate answer will present itself through the letterbox or (hopefully for you) not.

Traffic light signals and traffic signs. You MUST obey all traffic light signals (download ‘Light signals controlling traffic’) and traffic signs giving orders, including temporary signals & signs (download ‘Traffic signs’).

The Highway Code makes it clear - whether you’ve been caught on it is separate.
Very unlikely that temp lights will be monitored. Just be more careful in future.
Reply 6

The sign where it tells you to stop was much further behind than where the actual lights were. I hadn’t actually passed through the lights. I’d driven past the sign and then realised it was red once I’d driven closer to the lights, however the construction guy was still signalling for me and the car in front to come through.

Just worried someone will report it or i’ll lose my license
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
Very unlikely that temp lights will be monitored. Just be more careful in future.

When i tried having a look online earlier people had previously mentioned about yellow boxes next to the lights which do have cameras and these ones didn’t have that so just have to hope i can get away with it this time. Never done that before
Reply 8
Original post by Tupmole
If there is a camera there, you will get a fine and points.
If a member of the public reports you, you may get points and a fine, especially if caught on a dashcam.

Yeah just having to hope no one reports it. The construction guy had still signalled for me and the car ahead to go through so got confused on that bit too.

Can’t find anything online, do you by any chance know what the maximum punishment is for that please?

The sign where it tells you to stop was much further behind than where the actual lights were. I hadn’t actually passed through the lights. I’d driven past the sign and then realised it was red once I’d driven closer to the lights, however the construction guy was still signalling for me and the car in front to come through.

You’re probably alright. I doubt workers would signal traffic if you wouldn’t be. My instructor taught me early on that you’re responsible for your actions on the road as driver so even if someone is telling you to do something, it doesn’t necessarily mean you should do it. Put it this way, I highly doubt you will find yourself in any trouble. Don’t sweat it :smile:
Reply 10

You’re probably alright. I doubt workers would signal traffic if you wouldn’t be. My instructor taught me early on that you’re responsible for your actions on the road as driver so even if someone is telling you to do something, it doesn’t necessarily mean you should do it. Put it this way, I highly doubt you will find yourself in any trouble. Don’t sweat it :smile:
Ahh thank you so much for the help, really appreciate it 😊

Ahh thank you so much for the help, really appreciate it 😊

You’re welcome - safe driving ☺️

I doubt that temporary traffic lights would be fitted with a camera. Its possible, but i think its unlikely. Just be more careful in future.
The fact that the construction guy waved you through goes in your favour. If you had a passenger in the car with you and/or a dashcam then you have a witness if anyone asks.

Have you been caught speeding? when you get a letter in the next days or week, you definetely know that you had made complete dog's dinner with your driving. Just wait and up and hope.
Reply 14
Original post by undefined
Have you been caught speeding? when you get a letter in the next days or week, you definetely know that you had made complete dog's dinner with your driving. Just wait and up and hope.

Not had anything (touch wood)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending