The Student Room Group

Is University Portsmouth Civil engineering course too chemistry oriented

Hi! So Im an EU student applying for entry in 2024, and one of my shortlisted universities to study civil engineering is Uni Portsmouth due to grades and economical reasons. However, I had this doubt about the modules and the content in the BEng Civil engineering Course. To briefly explain, I’m currently studying Maths, Physics and Economics as my A levels, but I did not take Chemistry A-Level, and I am afraid of the course at uni Portsmouth being too much demanding Chemistry-wise for me due to my lack of knowledge in this area, I did do Chemistry as IGCSE but perhaps this will be not enough. If anyone has studied this course at Portsmouth, do you think it contained too much Chemistry for me to reconsider this option? Or if anyone could help in this doubt, it will be much appreciated, thank you!
I really doubt you will need any chemistry knowledge for any civil engineering course beyond GCSE. I can't even think of an area of the field it'd come up in outside of some niche environmental engineering topics, and even then it's not going to be much beyond GCSE if even that.
Id be surprised if their is any traditional natural chemistry.

Probably some materials stuff, where characteristics are derived from constituent chemical properties but on a macro scale this is very very different how you understand what is happening. (And ultimately even with materials you’ll be interested in how the material interacts with physics type phenomena).

Quick Reply

Latest