The Student Room Group

Blonde

For all the political correctness that is around it really p*sses me off that the features attributed to the "typical blonde" are not discouraged more. I'm a natural blonde and could easily be offended by remarks and jokes that I often hear, but I know it's not meant as a personal attack on me so I just accept it and laugh along. I hate PC and it's double standards. It bothers me when people kick up such a fuss about similar issues - I wish people wouldn't take everything so seriously all the time.

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?p=622784#post622784

(I'm not saying this ^^ is a stupid thread or anything, just using it as an example. Everyone posting on here accepts that a 'Blonde moment' is when you do something really thick and no-one has been offended by this at all. But isn't it the same thing as racism...?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Amb1
For all the political correctness that is around it really p*sses me off that the features attributed to the "typical blonde" are not discouraged more. I'm a natural blonde and could easily be offended by remarks and jokes that I often hear, but I know it's not meant as a personal attack on me so I just accept it and laugh along. I hate PC and it's double standards. It bothers me when people kick up such a fuss about similar issues - I wish people wouldn't take everything so seriously all the time.

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?p=622784#post622784

(I'm not saying this ^^ is a stupid thread or anything, just using it as an example. Everyone posting on here accepts that a 'Blonde moment' is when you do something really thick and no-one has been offended by this at all. But isn't it the same thing as racism...?)

lol, i've always been a blondie (both in hair colour and personality). I don't really care when people joke about being stupid or whatever. When it comes down to it, i'm an A* student and have many many academic, sporting and creative achievments. But i also can't deny the fact that i have my head in the clouds. Perhaps the whole 'blonde' thing stems from the fact that, stereotypically, blondes are more popular, therefore have more confidence to speak what's on their mind. As such, whenever STUPID whims come into my head i'm not embarrassed to say them, even when they make me sound like a git! I don't actually care about stereotyping because when it comes down to it, a couple of jokes aren't actually going to stop you going where you want to in life. :smile:
Reply 2
Well, this has been up here for 45 mins now and only 1 response. Which kind of supports my point. If it was about racism I'm sure people would have more to say about it, but I guess when 'prejudice' and 'discrimination' is directed towards blondes it doesn't matter.
Reply 3
I'm blonde and it makes me laugh I am ditzy and dizzy sometimes.
I just laugh at stereotypes there is no point making waves about them. I tell blonde jokes that I think are funny.
Amb1
Well, this has been up here for 45 mins now and only 1 response. Which kind of supports my point. If it was about racism I'm sure people would have more to say about it, but I guess when 'prejudice' and 'discrimination' is directed towards blondes it doesn't matter.

The way you have written the issue means that nobody really cares too much either way, as you obviously don't, as the argument is bvery down the middle, and it takes extremities to cause arguments (or should i say, discussions!).

I think that any stereotype is bad, and saying blondes are stupid is very much so.
However, using blondeness as a different way to describe ditzyness, and all the aspects that the stereotype of being blonde holds does not have this, as it is not a term of insult, rather its more... social, more friendly, more descriptive rather than derogatory.
Reply 5
viviki
I'm blonde and it makes me laugh I am ditzy and dizzy sometimes.
I just laugh at stereotypes there is no point making waves about them. I tell blonde jokes that I think are funny.
Yeah, me too. :wink:

It just really bothers me that people in general have double standards about this kind of thing. The blonde stereotype is widely accepted in society but according to prej+discimination definitions its a pretty bad one!

It really doesn't get to me personally, I think it's funny and I love to surprise people with my intelect!!!:tongue:
Reply 6
piginapoke
Its kind of the same thing as racism, if you consider racism to be discrimination based on no reason other than skin colour; its another debate as to whether racism can be rationalised but for our purposes racism is generally not based on any informed opinion about the difference between the races. So, making fun of/discriminating against blondes is essentially the same.

Now, racism is the current pet hate of the PC society, with a lot of visible effort being made to try and stamp it out. Blondism on the other hand, is not even generally recognised as being in the same ballpark never mind being on a par with racism. So, there's a long way to go before blondism will be stopped IMO, as not many people are taking it seriously.
Not many people do take it seriously (including myself). I think people often take other isms too seriously and should take a leaf out of the blondies book.
Reply 7
While it's obviously not right to judge a person by the colour of their hair or appearance generally, it's not quite racism. I'm sure plenty of ethnic minorities would be a bit offended to hear it called that - racism runs much deeper. Even in the 21st century it still affects people's job prospects, causes violence and hatred, and changes the structure of whole societies.

Blonde people may be jokingly called stupid, but in no way are they an underclass. Brunettes are often considered dull or ugly, and as for the amount of stick ginger people get - I'm not even gonna go there! In fact, blonde women are first choice of most men when it comes to attractiveness. They're not usually excluded in the same way that racism excludes people.
Reply 8
piginapoke
Well yes. IMO too many people get offended by statements that are just not true. Why should we be offended at lies? I always think that only the truth hurts...

Well I dont know if someone told the world something hideous about me and everybody thought it then I would be a bit hurt but things like blonde jokes are stupid, its like saying all of the welsh are sheepshaggers, all of the Irish are stupid etc.
They are so ludicrous that if anybody does believe it, its pretty obvious that they are the stupid ones.
PC just balls' everything up. to put it bluntly
Reply 10
Trousers
While it's obviously not right to judge a person by the colour of their hair or appearance generally, it's not quite racism. I'm sure plenty of ethnic minorities would be a bit offended to hear it called that
Why? It's exactly the same principal.
Trousers
Even in the 21st century it still affects people's job prospects.
being blonde affects people's job prospects. Employees often expect you to be ditzy/unreliable/tarty/easily distracted if you have blonde hair, which puts them off.
Reply 11
lumpycustard
PC just balls' everything up. to put it bluntly
Too right! :rolleyes:
Amb1
Why? It's exactly the same principal. being blonde affects people's job prospects. Employees often expect you to be ditzy/unreliable/tarty/easily distracted if you have blonde hair, which puts them off.

exactly. whihc is y u find that most executive and higher-up class women r brunette, more often than not. and the blonde r usually the secretaries (ahem) and such like. i am blodne but i hope i dont get sucked into that mould.
just like redheads r seen to be racy and fiery, doesnt mean they r! i no two VERY red haired girls who r shy as shy could possibly be!! see? not all stereotypes fit in with everybody.
Reply 14
Amb1
Why? It's exactly the same principal. being blonde affects people's job prospects. Employees often expect you to be ditzy/unreliable/tarty/easily distracted if you have blonde hair, which puts them off.

I dont agree with that at all I know plenty of blondes in management positions. It can actually be a poweful thing. Blondes have a reputation for being more bold and outgoing, confident and also (I dont believe this so dont flame me) brunettes sometimes have a reputation for being dowdy.

I cant say that I know any blondes who have ever said they have been obstructed job wise by their hair. If you dress smartly people will perceive you as smart, dress like trash they will think you are trash.
Reply 15
i feel sorry for natural blondes as they tend to get tarred with the same brush as those jordan idolising teenagers with an extreme lack of wit, intelligence, etc, who almost always are bleach blonde of course. :cool:
viviki
I dont agree with that at all I know plenty of blondes in management positions. It can actually be a poweful thing. Blondes have a reputation for being more bold and outgoing, confident and also (I dont believe this so dont flame me) brunettes sometimes have a reputation for being dowdy.

I cant say that I know any blondes who have ever said they have been obstructed job wise by their hair. If you dress smartly people will perceive you as smart, dress like trash they will think you are trash.

with the whole smart thing, prices r so high for these flashy suits!!
Reply 17
Amb1

being blonde affects people's job prospects. Employees often expect you to be ditzy/unreliable/tarty/easily distracted if you have blonde hair, which puts them off.

When you apply for a job, you're invited to an interview on the basis of your CV, not your hair colour. You then have the chance to prove yourself capable of doing the job - if you're good in the interview, they won't assume you're thick because of your hair.

When it comes down to it, you can always dye your hair if you really think it will mean you're more likely to be taken seriously. The same doesn't apply if you have dark skin.
Reply 18
viviki

But if you are in a management position people are more likely to think that you slept your way to the top because you're a blonde.
kcpoopoo
i feel sorry for natural blondes

um, thanks?

Latest

Trending

Trending