The Student Room Group

Maths vs Maths and Philosophy

Hello

I want to study Maths and Philosophy at OXford or Warwick in 2016.
But I am not too interested in other unis that offer it.
Is it possible to make my PS such that I can apply for both Maths and Maths and Philosophy.
Because my list, in order goes:
oxford- m &P
warwick m&p
Imperial maths
Bath maths
UCL maths

So, would a uni be likely to offer someone a place at a maths degree when they have clearly applied for m. and philosophy (as I would obviously be talking about philosophy stuff there).

Original post by h_al_s
Hello

I want to study Maths and Philosophy at OXford or Warwick in 2016.
But I am not too interested in other unis that offer it.
Is it possible to make my PS such that I can apply for both Maths and Maths and Philosophy.
Because my list, in order goes:
oxford- m &P
warwick m&p
Imperial maths
Bath maths
UCL maths

So, would a uni be likely to offer someone a place at a maths degree when they have clearly applied for m. and philosophy (as I would obviously be talking about philosophy stuff there).

Maths > Maths and Philosophy
It depends on your interests. I know a guy who read extensively not just on maths topics, but on its uses, it's patterns and basically thought of it as an art. Btw I would advise you not to take the view that many have that maths + (something) requires a lower MAT score (or you can get away with weaker maths ability) compared to the pure maths course.
The person I know applied for 2014 entry to Oxford, had all (12.5) A*s, 4As at AS, and 4A*s at A2,+ came ninth in the world in the MAT.
^Btw he applied for maths and philosophy
Reply 4
Oxford doesn't care too much about your personal statement (if at all).
I think that philosophy will help you to understand some concepts in mathematics. My friend from a year has a bi passion to philosophy and he is like one of the best even my lecturer used to say that philosophy can help you more on mathematics degree rather than FP!, FP@, FP3 or even FP4, but... He has decided to do mathematics on University in London and take optional modules on second and third year from philosophy.

Quick Reply

Latest