The Student Room Group

Taking Philosophy A level alongside Maths, Further Maths & Compsci

Just curious if it's sensible for me to take philosophy A-level alongside maths, further maths and computer science since it's not really related to those subjects. I'm interested in philosophy but I intend on pursuing computer science at uni.
Mainly wondering if it's going to be too much workload, or if I should just drop it after AS level.
(I'm in year 11 btw)
Reply 1
Would recommend making further maths ur 4th. As I’ve heard that some unis consider maths and further maths as 1.5 connected and 1.5 alevels. Rather than 2 separate ones
are you aware that unis offer computer science and philosophy courses?
Original post by S Z H
Would recommend making further maths ur 4th. As I’ve heard that some unis consider maths and further maths as 1.5 connected and 1.5 alevels. Rather than 2 separate ones

Dont force anyone to take any subject.....he should do what he wants.....dedication brings success????it's not a british behaviour to force anyone.
Reply 4
Original post by Growngdp
Dont force anyone to take any subject.....he should do what he wants.....dedication brings success????it's not a british behaviour to force anyone.

Ofcourse. I was just pointing out my experience where, for cs students, further maths is commonly dropped after AS and you have 3 complete alevels alongside
Original post by S Z H
Ofcourse. I was just pointing out my experience where, for cs students, further maths is commonly dropped after AS and you have 3 complete alevels alongside

Did you have economics in a level???
Original post by S Z H

This is not true. Most of the top unis consider Maths and Further Maths separate subjects for a course like computer science
O.P.- actually philosophy is a complementary subject for Maths and Computer Science subjects and is the reason why many unis offer Maths and Philosophy degrees or Computer Science with Philosophy degrees
Can any one tell me what are compulsory subjects to get hons in economic???
Reply 8
Original post by Dnsnnssn
This is not true. Most of the top unis consider Maths and Further Maths separate subjects for a course like computer science
O.P.- actually philosophy is a complementary subject for Maths and Computer Science subjects and is the reason why many unis offer Maths and Philosophy degrees or Computer Science with Philosophy degrees

Oh right. I was just passing on some info I had gotten (which may have been specific for unis like imperial that ppl say really value furthermaths). Either way it’s not smth I’m fully informed about but since the op didn’t get any responses at that point, I thought I’d point out what I’d *heard*
Original post by username6107529
Can any one tell me what are compulsory subjects to get hons in economic???

Have u checked the University entry requirements?
Original post by AnRaz1
Just curious if it's sensible for me to take philosophy A-level alongside maths, further maths and computer science since it's not really related to those subjects. I'm interested in philosophy but I intend on pursuing computer science at uni.
Mainly wondering if it's going to be too much workload, or if I should just drop it after AS level.
(I'm in year 11 btw)

Heya!
Most CS courses just want maths as an entry requirement ( and usually FM), so you should be fine with having philosophy don't worry even if it doesn't relate fully :h: As long as you are interested then why not!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 11
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess my primary concern was how difficult A-level philosophy is, because I am interested in the study some philosophies like absurdism, nihilism and stoicism etc. but I'm not 100% sure if the content covered in A-level philosophy will actually involve topics like the named examples that interest me.
Mostly because out of curiosity I randomly opened up a random past paper and it all looked like vague gibberish to me so I'm essentially in doubt of how legitimate my entire passion towards philosophy really is.
In conclusion I'd gladfully like to know how important prior knowledge about all that seemingly vague epistemological stuff is when starting Philosophy at Year 12.
Original post by AnRaz1
(I'm in year 11 btw)

You can always start with all 4 and see how you go. Like you say, you could always drop one after AS level.
If it doesnt work well from the beginning, then most 6th forms/colleges let you drop or change subjects in the first few weeks anyway.
Original post by Dnsnnssn

True but a risk could be if OP has a change of mind in which case other courses might not accept further maths
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by AnRaz1
(I'm in year 11 btw)

if it was aqa philosophy I would advise to not do it unless you're very very interested in it because that specific exam board is extremely difficult since it's pure philosophy and has tons of content. I see you posted this ages ago though so did you take it?
Reply 15
Original post by AnRaz1
(I'm in year 11 btw)

hi!! currently in y12 and i do maths, further maths, physics and rs (philosophy, ethics and religion), if its something u enjoy i think u should def pursue it! i also think that if ur planning to study cs at uni u should do phys alevel rather than cs as cs is not required anywhere for computer science undergrad but phys is. i def enjoy having a mix of subjects and having one essay subject thati i enjoy paticularly. hope it goes well for u!

Quick Reply

Latest