The Student Room Group

alevel - economics vs philosophy

i know the difficulty of a subject is very individual but is there a wide consensus about which one of these subjects is easier (eco or philosophy).
also for people who already do these subjects please could you tell me how find it and whats it like. for example everyone says philosophy is conceptually hard (not doubting it) but are the exams just memory (remembering all the philosophers and arguments) or how well you can write?? same for economics , did business gcse and found none of it was hard but infact it was just remembering lots of information. so if anyone could compare these to gcse subjects in terms of what its like memory or actually understanding then thxx. or just any input about these subjects
Just a quick FYI, A Level is a big step up from GCSE's. So Business studies in A Level would tend to be a lot harder than GCSE's in all aspects of learning such as memorizing and essay structure and planning.

However, Economics in A Levels is a lot harder than Business A Levels. It is said that Business is considered more as a 'softer' subject whereas Economics is more intellectually stimulating. And I know this question is related to the difference between Economics and Philosophy but I thought this this level of information was worth mentioning as it seems you have quite a lot doubts when it comes to the difficulty of Economics.

I personally haven't taken Philosophy as an A Level (although I may have considered it as its a really interesting subject). However, I did take Economics. Economics is MUCH more than just memorizing. When I took Economics, I really wanted to do well and aim for top grades but I had to put ALOT of effort in it (sometimes more than other subjects). Economics requires you to learn about real world situations and you are expected to apply information to businesses, political issues, economic arguments and even mentioning popular theories by past Economists also awards marks. This requires ALOT OF RESEARCH; not just class work but a lot of your outside studying. In economics there is also a considerable amount of Mathematics involved for a social science. Its usually just GCSE level Maths of course but still essential. There is obviously certain things you have to memorize such as key words and understanding concepts in each topic and subtopic is also essential. However, stating what a textbook says isn't the purpose of the Economics A Level but more to do with your reasoning and thought process when making intellectual arguments that they may throw at you - while also providing evidence for your arguments too.

You can judge how hard Economics is for you. For some its easier than others. But in my opinion, Economics is a great A Level and I don't regret doing it one bit. Arguably the most interesting subject I took.
Reply 2
Original post by xizzy12
i know the difficulty of a subject is very individual but is there a wide consensus about which one of these subjects is easier (eco or philosophy).
also for people who already do these subjects please could you tell me how find it and whats it like. for example everyone says philosophy is conceptually hard (not doubting it) but are the exams just memory (remembering all the philosophers and arguments) or how well you can write?? same for economics , did business gcse and found none of it was hard but infact it was just remembering lots of information. so if anyone could compare these to gcse subjects in terms of what its like memory or actually understanding then thxx. or just any input about these subjects

You've probably done your a levels now but I'm studying Economics, Business and Philosophy as my 3 a-levels and can safely say that philosophy is the hardest out of all of them, with economics being second

Quick Reply

Latest