The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JackNorman
Anyone have a list of the experiments we need to know? Thanks

Simple Harmonic Motion, Browninan Motion, Specific Heat Capacity are the ones i have seen and Centrapetal force
Original post by OliviaLin
Yeah I get what you mean.. I'd either highlight what values they have in the questions or write out the values & then see if you can plug them into the equation.. If not, see if you can use another equation to convert it into a value you need!

If you're dealing with a temperature that's no constant though - always remember to convert it to Kelvin! You get method marks for that shizz..

Good luck anyway! :smile:

thanks pal, you too! btw, would you (or anyone else reading this) be able to explain the answer to june 2013 q5 cii?
Anyone have a list of the experiments we need to know? Thanks

Simple Harmonic Motion:
- mass on a spring
- conical pendulum

Brownian Motion
- smoke cell under microscope
- pollen grains

Specific Heat Capacity
- Liquid mass
- Solid mass
Simple Harmonic Motion:
- mass on a spring
- conical pendulum

Brownian Motion
- smoke cell under microscope
- pollen grains

Specific Heat Capacity
- Liquid mass
- Solid mass

Did a question on the shc of liquid yesterday, can vaguely remember the solid one, what are the differences? And you don't need to know how to set up the experiments for brownian motion do you? I thought you just had to make observations
Did a question on the shc of liquid yesterday, can vaguely remember the solid one, what are the differences? And you don't need to know how to set up the experiments for brownian motion do you? I thought you just had to make observations

Yeah just observations and conclusions for brownian.

The difference is mainly the diagrams and the uncertainties.

So for the both of them, you can get heat losses to the surroundings if you don't insulate them and incorrect temperature change if you don't wait for the thermometer to reach its maximum value.. but for just the liquid, you can also get false temperature reading cause you need to stir it to distribute the liquid evenly.. Wouldn't recommend saying you need to stir a solid! :wink:
Original post by pnaidu
thanks pal, you too! btw, would you (or anyone else reading this) be able to explain the answer to june 2013 q5 cii?

I think the gradient is the temperature so you just show that the gradient is constant? Just as i thought you need to work out the gradient for two points to show what i just said :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Is there any significance in knowing the triple point of water?
Original post by Tazmain

What is that loooool
Yeah just observations and conclusions for brownian.

The difference is mainly the diagrams and the uncertainties.

So for the both of them, you can get heat losses to the surroundings if you don't insulate them and incorrect temperature change if you don't wait for the thermometer to reach its maximum value.. but for just the liquid, you can also get false temperature reading cause you need to stir it to distribute the liquid evenly.. Wouldn't recommend saying you need to stir a solid! :wink:

Thanks so much, appreciate the help.
Original post by MathsAddict
What is that loooool

lol, its the of 0.01 degrees Celsius. Or 273.16K
The point at which a water exits as a gas, liquid and solid.
Original post by Tazmain

Yeah, it's what the Kelvin Scale is based upon

How would you find shc of solid?
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Same as a liquid..

Take measurement of its mass, initial & final temp., I, V & t readings to find value for E then sub them all into c = E/m (delta) T

Same as a liquid,you put a heater in it, put a thermometer in it. Record temp changes and current and pd to get power, then do what you would for a liquid with the calculations of power and then E and then from there rearrange E=McΔθ . I can't remember if I'm hawing the circuit right though, the one that's connected to the heater. If anyone could show me a drawing I'd appreciate it

Can you define it then at least so i can memorise it quickly?

Insulate solid in container, use thermometer, use electrical heater with a power supply. Measure p.d across heater and current in a circuit and time for change in temperature. Draw change in temp against time graph. Calculate gradient in straight area. c=VI/mm, where m is gradient, VI is power and m is mass of block.
Can someone please tell me, when using any of the s.h.m equations, do we have our calculator in radians or degrees? Thanks.
Same as a liquid..

Take measurement of its mass, initial & final temp., I, V & t readings to find value for E then sub them all into c = E/m (delta) T

Same as a liquid,you put a heater in it, put a thermometer in it. Record temp changes and current and pd to get power, then do what you would for a liquid with the calculations of power and then E and then from there rearrange E=McΔθ . I can't remember if I'm hawing the circuit right though, the one that's connected to the heater. If anyone could show me a drawing I'd appreciate it

Original post by MathsAddict
Can you define it then at least so i can memorise it quickly?

Triple Point of Water is where water simultaneously exists as gas, liquid and solid. Occurs at 0K. (-273.15 degrees C)

Original post by Tazmain
Insulate solid in container, use thermometer, use electrical heater with a power supply. Measure p.d across heater and current in a circuit and time for change in temperature. Draw change in temp against time graph. Calculate gradient in straight area. c=VI/mm, where m is gradient, VI is power and m is mass of block.

I was being stupid, wondering where you put a thermometer in a solid :lol:
so a state change only occurs if Ke is changed? can someone please help me with this theory?
Original post by pnaidu
so a state change only occurs if Ke is changed? can someone please help me with this theory?

I thought state changes occurred due to potential energy changes. Not KE changes
Original post by pnaidu

Melting solid to liquid, mean seperation inceases, KE remains the same and PE increases so internal energy increases.

Evaporation liquid to gaseous
Here the molecules become even more seperated so increase in PE but constant KE as its this occurs at boiling point which is in constant. so internal energy increases again here.

Latest

Trending

Trending