The Student Room Group

Which A-Levels should I take to get into Oxbidge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrJAKEE
This is going to be last post on this thread so I'll make this important :wink: the number one thing OP that Oxbridge look for is passion for your subject. For Law, the best way of showing this (I would argue if you are seriously thinking of law of university) are law-relevant A levels, which show qualities needed for a Law degree. While it isn't the be all - end all if you do a science subject instead of History, it would place you at a better advantage if you did take History. What you will find as I have learnt from many of my friends is that some courses say that "there are no subjects required" when in fact they expect you to have if you seriously want to get in a few. People who say they did all science subjects will most likely find it a lot harder to claim they have a passion for law than those with History/English.

Law is a book-worm, argumentative degree (and if you like those things, you're well suited for it!), and the two most book-worm,argumentative a levels I would argue are English Lit and History. Bear in mind History at A level is also completely different to at GCSE, consider it a fresh slate.

The reason for me suggesting a 5th AS is that first of all if you are considering FM you are most likely good at Maths, and if you are good at Maths you could most likely self-teach the AS in it (seeing as there are a multitude of resources out there for FM). Oxbridge want to see also you love work and academia, again a good example. An EPQ I suppose on something related to law would also be fine I guess.
Hope all goes well and yes, your predicted GCSES are fine for Oxbridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by studentro
It's pretty weird how all of your advice goes directly against what admissions tutors say.

Quite. It's completely wrong.

Sure, Oxbridge want to see passion for your subject, but doing History A-level shows nothing of the sort. And it's simply bizarre to say that people who do science subjects are less able to claim that they're interested in law than people who do English - WTF??

Besides which, passion for your subject is obviously less important that aptitude for it anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest